Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I even bother buying Skyrim PC? :((((

Last response: in Video Games
September 5, 2012 10:43:53 AM

Hi all! I was wondering what you guys think on my little dilemma. :/  I WANT Skyrim REALLY BAD! But I'm not sure if it would even be worth getting, because of how old my setup is... I want to at least get Medium-High settings so that it doesn't look completely bad, so here are my specs... :/  THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR RESPONSES! :D 

Mobo: Intel D945GCCR1 (Coconut Creek)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 925 3.0GHz
GPU: nVidia 9500GT DDR2 512MB
RAM: x2 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300
PSU: ThermalTake 430w

I don't know if this matters, but I have an old CoolerMaster Wind Tunnel to air cool my Pentium D.

I really want to know if I'm wasting my money buying this game, I would invest in a new setup, but it took me FOREVER to get enough money for this game, as I'm only 14, and come from a rather poor family. :(  Please help me out. And if you guys have any extra free time, I'd also like to know if I can run Fallout 3 and Counter-Strike Global Offensive. Please tell me what setting range you think I would be able to push out, because I WILL NOT play a game on low. It makes me feel Pathetic :( 

Thanks again everyone. sQQu33

More about : bother buying skyrim

September 5, 2012 11:06:25 AM

You will be wasting your money.Your PC is pretty slow and if you buy skyrim you'll end up playing at low settings.And that does not look pretty.

Your only option is buying a new PC or at least a new motherboard so you can overclock that CPU.Either way it's not going to be cheap.
September 5, 2012 11:16:15 AM

Kamen_BG said:
You will be wasting your money.Your PC is pretty slow and if you buy skyrim you'll end up playing at low settings.And that does not look pretty.

Your only option is buying a new PC or at least a new motherboard so you can overclock that CPU.Either way it's not going to be cheap.

But I can play Oblivion maxed out on 1440x900 with 60+ frames.
Related resources
September 5, 2012 2:37:48 PM

Fallout 3 would run fine. I played it on my old gaming rig that had specs similar to yours. I played on a mix of high/medium at 60 FPS.

Global Offensive, probably not. The minimum spec for GPU is a GT 520, and I think those start at 1GB.

Skyrim? Maybe on low settings? I looked at the minimum specs, and it seems like you might barely get by. For a general rule of thumb, if you're ever in doubt if you system can run something, I'd go here:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

edit: I rechecked the Global Offensive specs and they are 100% different from what I saw before. You should be able to play it on low/medium.
September 5, 2012 2:49:48 PM

Skyrim is definitely worth it but not with that setup. I'll sell you my GTX 460 768mb for a discount :) 
September 5, 2012 2:51:42 PM

How much? :/ 
September 5, 2012 2:56:17 PM

I tried skyrim with a 2.8ghz pentium D and it wasn't quite enough for it to be playable. I doubt your extra 200mhz will make a big enough difference for it to be an enjoyable experience. Fallout New Vegas did however run good enough for me to play it all the way through, so all is not lost :) 
September 5, 2012 3:44:08 PM

sQQu33 said:
How much? :/ 

Haha... I don't know. Whatever it's selling for on ebay minus a few bucks. I just bought a 7870 so I will probably sell the 460 this weekend.
September 5, 2012 3:44:49 PM

I might even have some PC2-5300 ram modules lying around if I didn't throw them out.
September 5, 2012 3:48:35 PM

I downloaded Skyrim through Steam. I can play High-Ultra settings with 45-78FPS AA2x and AF2x. Distances all the way up. 1440x900. I used SetFSB to overclock the Pentium D to around 3.33GHz with stable temps of around 38C. And I overclocked my GPU using RivaTuner to 770MHz Core Clock, 1700MHz Shader Clock, and 535 MHz Memory Clock. With temps (Idle) 46C and (Under Load) 74C. I changed RAM timings to 4-4-4-8 rather than 5-5-5-15 and it seems to load better. After Skyrim got done, I downloaded Global-Offensive ($15!!!!!!!! :o ) and I can run 1440x900 everything on highest (shadows on very low) AA4x AF2x Motion Blur Enabled, and VSYNC (TripleBuffered). Steady 60fps with the lowest drop to 38fps. Still playable for me, mate! :D  I'm actually quite surprised at what this can handle. I've been monitoring temps like a hawk and to my knowledge, there is hardly any changes or anything out of the norm, to be concerned about hardware damage. Steady OCs with no artifacting. Has fresh Arctic Silver on my CPU and GPU. I have still yet to try Fallout 3, I may torrent it to try it out. :p  I've done my best to keep this old setup running up to par with new games. I am impressed! :D  But anyways, thank you guys for your fast replies. Time to go play Skyrim ;) 

-sQQu33
September 5, 2012 6:58:19 PM

The reason why you can pull it off is because of the low resolution. If you can get hold of a good CPU cooler and a decent LGA775 mobo (you can get something like an Nforce 4 sli intel edition, it's old but it'll run your CPU and it's cheap. Something with the P45, X48, X38 or nForce 780i chipset would be better though) you could overclock further. Its the smaller fabrication CPU (the 65nm version) so it runs cooler at the same speeds as the 90nm ones.

I have seen the extreme edition CPUs at least hit 4 ghz which is very good for a 65nm part
September 5, 2012 8:17:04 PM

Low resolution? It's the highest my monitor goes, it's a new HP 20" 16:10. And if it matters, I tried my brother's TV on 1920x1080 and I get maybe 8-10 fps drop in Skyrim and only around 3fps drop in CS:GO. But what do you mean exactly by getting an nForce mobo? Aren't those quite expensive since they're nVidia? And aren't they new and support DDR3????? ?:/

Best solution

September 6, 2012 10:08:46 AM

Well it's low compared to what some people run at. 1080p is the norm now really.

You can get nForce mobos with DDR2, their last chipset was the 7 series and that was on LGA775. The 790i was the board with DDR3 but the 780i and below has DDR2

What you're thinking of is the NF200 bridge which goes on some boards which increases the amount of PCI-E lanes. Since intel's X58 chipset nVidia has been licensing SLI to intel and now AMD chipsets and not making their own.

Here are some boards to look for (some like the evga board are a little expensive but its to tell you what to look for really). They all support the newer core 2 quads and should overclock that pentium D to 3.5-3.6 ish plus, with good cooling mind. Also these are from the UK ebay site. The first 2 mobos will do SLI.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTHERBOARD-Asus-P5N-D-1333-F... (note this doesn't have voltage regulator heatsinks. The voltage regulators give the CPU the juice so must be kept as cool as possible especially when OCing. So I'd find some heatsinks for them if you can)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTHERBOARD-EVGA-nForce-780i-...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-P5Q-MOTHERBOARD-P45-CHIP...
September 6, 2012 1:18:25 PM

this guys having a laugh... my old 8800gt wouldnt run oblivion maxed out on a 1280/1024 screen and stay anywhere near 60fps. and that was with 4-4-4 15 800 mem and an amd 6000+ x2...
he may hit 60 but his fps will more than likely be hovering around 20-40 most of the time especially outside. oblivion was the crysis of its day...
September 6, 2012 2:14:08 PM

I'd like to know how fast his internet connection is. He downloaded Skyrim and CS:GO in an hour?
September 7, 2012 10:11:15 AM

HEXiT said:
this guys having a laugh... my old 8800gt wouldnt run oblivion maxed out on a 1280/1024 screen and stay anywhere near 60fps. and that was with 4-4-4 15 800 mem and an amd 6000+ x2...
he may hit 60 but his fps will more than likely be hovering around 20-40 most of the time especially outside. oblivion was the crysis of its day...

Having a laugh? I think not. I'll FRAPS Skyrim, and Oblivion.
September 7, 2012 10:12:51 AM

4 hours actually. CLEARLY it says 7:16:15am from about when I started downloading, THEN it goes to 11:48am. About 4 hours there, mate. And I asked jb1007 how much for his GTX 460 like after I had woken up while GO was finishing up. Just because a comment is an hour apart from when I had said they were finished, doesn't mean that's automatically (according to you) that I started downloading. My connection is fast enough to get 2, 5gb games done in about 4 hours. Cheers mate.
September 7, 2012 10:19:01 AM

And BTW Crysis and Oblivion were around the same era of gaming, I think Oblivion was 06 and Crysis was released a year later. And Oblivion was optimized greatly for a P4 or any other single-core that could push 2.8GHz+ Crysis basically demanded a Core 2 Duo, but really it wanted you to have some ***-nut messed up alien CPU that came from Mothership Zeta, in order to play it decently. Lol
September 7, 2012 10:55:36 AM

Best answer selected by sQQu33.
September 7, 2012 1:58:03 PM

sQQu33 said:
4 hours actually. CLEARLY it says 7:16:15am from about when I started downloading,

Well CLEARLY you never said when you started downloading, and CLEARLY I wouldn't think someone would make a "Should I get these games?" thread and go ahead and get them before they've gotten feedback(which you did). Don't get me wrong, no one really thought you could play them, but if you say they're playing fine, then thats great and I hope you have fun. Not trying to start an argument or slag you in anyway, I just think its a bit asinine. But really, have fun, Skyrim is great, and has a bunch of really great mods too.
September 8, 2012 6:36:41 AM

I just looked and I didn't say when I started downloading, which I thought I had done, my bad mate. I feel like an ass now. My apologies. But thank you, anyways. I just winged it and downloaded them because the first reply I got said I'd need to upgrade and it WOULDN'T be cheap, so I said, whatever might as well blow money on games and have them, now and (pray that they work) rather than spend money to upgrade an old rig. I was hoping if I had them and they didn't work, I'd just might have to wait until X-Mas or my birthday to get a new gen setup. But thank you guys, again for all the replies, and AGAIN I'm sorry for sounding like an ass. lol
February 5, 2014 10:49:28 PM

If you REALLY want to play it i would Recommend just buying a xbox for the time being at least untill you can buy that new gaming rig
February 5, 2014 10:59:09 PM

Nvm only read half the comments
!