svasutin

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002
I have an Abit BE6 slot 1 board, and am wondering about under-clocking. The board officially supports slot 1 Celerons up to 700 MHz or P3s up to 850 MHz (66/100 MHz FSB). However, these processors are in short supply and are expensive when compared to the latest flip-chips. I happen to have a flip-chip to slot 1 bridge, so here are my questions:
Can I get a 1 GHz Celeron (100 MHz FSB), then under-clock it to 850 MHz, without issue? Are there voltage issues? How can I go about doing this?

Other: scsi u2w (hdd/cd/dvd), 2x AGP 32 MB Video, 768 MB PC 133 CL2 RAM, Intel 440BX chipset. All legacy devices are disabled through the bios (isa/ps2/floppy/serial/parallel), win xp pro, all devices are usb/pci/1394. Cooling system installed, temp never gets above 40 degree’s Celsius.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've not used this board, but why underclock it? Just run the Celeron at 100 MHz. FSB and you'll be fine. Couple of things though... You need to make sure you have a slot 1 adapter that supports the Coppermine chips. The older slot adapters were for the older Intel chips and won't work with the flip chip CuMines. Second, be sure you buy a CuMine Celeron, not a Tualtin. And finally, flash your BIOS to the latest version and you should be in business.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The board actually supports the PIII 1000EB with 133FSB, it's just not documented (as in, Abit only approves of CPU's they've tested on the board themselves, and never approves a processor that requires you to overclock the chipset to 133FSB). I would recommend the 1000EB and PC13SDRAM. The only other part of the system that will be overclocked is the AGP bus, to 89MHz, which most cards can handle.

You can also run the Celeron 1000 at 1000, but it will only perform at the levels of a PIII 700, because Celerons suck.

You could use the ultra rare PIII 1000E (without the "B") which runs at 10x100, but you would see a significant performance advantage using the 1000EB instead, due to faster memory transfers.

So you don't need to underclock a thing, Abit simply never updated their manuals.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lol Crashman, you really hate the cellerys don't you?

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/celeron1a-oc/" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/celeron1a-oc/</A>

;)

- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only Celeron that would work with his board is the old Coppermine Celeron, which really stunk. Additionally, I have found that even the Tualatin Celeron 1.2GHz couldn't keep up with my old PIII 700@933. Almost, but not quite. The slow bus speed killed the performance. At around 1480MHz it could almost keep up with my PIII 1000EB.

Certainly the Tually Celly 1000 would do better in an overclocked state, because it would have much better memory bandwidth when overclocked to 1500MHz than my 1200 did at 1480MHz. But getting back to HIS motherboard, the Tually Celly is excluded unless he uses the Powerleap adapter.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, that link was also full of bad information that could mislead this poor guy. FC-PGA2 is a packaging technique, not a core type. I have a COPPERMINE PIII 1000EB in FC-PGA2 form. The only reason I knew it was Coppermine is the voltage, at 1.75v. It's easier to differentiate the Celerons by the amount of cache, the low voltage Tualatin having 256k.

bluesfan

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
I've noticed your sig and was wondering, money being no concern, which PSU would you buy to run 54X CDRW, 16X DVD, 72X Kenwood CDROM, and four hard disks?

Bluesfan

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I recommend Fortron power supplies (Newegg carries them). Sparkle Power also sells Fortron supplies under their own name.

Fortron rates their power supplies at 70% load, so even a 300W unit would probably work, a 350W would be a little overkill, and a 400W would be WAY overkill, which is just the way I like it :smile: Therefore I recommend the Fortron FSP400-60PFN, which cost $60. Sparkle Power also carries that model number for $7 more.

You could save a lot by simply getting the $32 Fortron FSP350-60BN 350W supply (440W peak), and that would probably work just fine even on a Dual XEON board with all those drives!

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

CompSci

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
A BE6 - Wow, we're still runnin one, actually a BE6-II, originally a PII450, upgraded with Super Slocket III & PIII-1000(B I think, Coppermine I know), and Abit BIOS update(Official not Beta) suppots it and even detects/set all correctly at 7.5*133.
W2k Gold Master went on it Dec99 and it's never missed a beat!
While not the zippyest anymore, its still a quite acceptable box, infact still a corporate production business machine with full IBM Corp Business load(Lotus everything++, M$ Office), and networked to the max. Updated with SP3, Media Player9, and current W2K goodies, it still gives Corporate Multmedia Presentations with Style! (plus some stuff XP wont do!)

Throw a Slocket and PIII 1G Coppermine in it!
The users of this one won't even let me bring up replacin it yet...

svol

Champion
I also got the BE6-II with a slotket and a P3 700MHz OC'ed to 933MHz with 133MHz FSB... it works very stable and fast. And more important it was cheap.

My CPU fan spins so fast that it creates a wormhole :eek: