Overclocking question?

tryst

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
I have a 4 year old IBM Aptiva, PII 350mhz. I was wondering if this system is overclockable? I've heard that IBM's are difficult when expanding in anyway. I can't seem to find the proper options in BIOS so that's why I ask this. Also I don't remember getting a motherboard manual with the aptiva when I first bought it. Also if I had gotten that manual I defiantly wouldn't have throwen something like that out. Is there any chance of overclocking this? I've since then bought a new P4 system but still use the old P2 on the side sometimes.

Any help here would be appreciated

tryst

Have you tried going to the IBM site to see if you can track down a downloadable manual because if the CMOS doesn't give you any OC options, you'll have to do it using motherboard jumpers to change the settings.

niconx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, you are unlucky enough to have the first PII that had a locked multiplier. :mad: This is when intel started to turn into what i like to call an "a-hole company". :smile: To unlock it you would need to open up the processor casing and make some manual circuit connections. But if you are going to overclock you probably want to take the casing off anyways beacuse it really sucks at heat transfer. Heres a guide on how to alter the PII pcb:

<A HREF="http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/895/1/" target="_new">http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/895/1/</A>

As far as your FSB, you should just take a closer look at your mainboard and try to read any silkscreen on it that may give a hint as to where the FSB jumpers are. You can try to expriment one jumper at a time to find which one sets FSB. Then when u find it u can begin to try to find a pattern to how the jumpers have an effect on FSB.

You certainly have your work cut out for you!
Our you could spend ~$55 to get a "slotket" converter and a celeron 533.

If you do decide to buy the new celeron make sure its a 533 and not a 533A or higher speed. These use the coppermine core and wont work on your system beacuse your mainboard will most definitely not support the lower voltages. Make sure the chip is PPGA and not FC-PGA so u dont get a coppermine.

P4's are good to pee on.

tryst

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
Wow, that sounds like a lot more work then fun if you ask me. I was just going to mess with it in my spare time that's all. But you would recommend going with a 533 celeron if I wana make things easier? I'm assuming those go pretty cheap.

Thanks

tryst

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Correct me if I'm wrong here everyone. That mobo runs at 100MHz FSB? If you get a Celeron 533MHz OEM for ~$30 and a slotket converter thing, you'll probably run that thing at 800MHz. You might get that speed with a good HSF, but I'm not sure. You could try it if you wanted too.

:smile: Falling down stairs saves time :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yep, you're wrong. The bus speed is autodetected, it will drop to 66MHz.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu can probably get the Powerleap 1.4GHz Tulaltin Celeron and iP3/T adapter combination to work on your board, check Powerleap for compatability.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

tryst

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2002
When checking for compatibility what should I know about my system? Processor to motherboard compatibility? This is hard since I don't even know what type of motherboard is running on this system. And did I mention that Aptiva didn't package a motherboard manual and I can't find a online one to downloaded over the internet even on the IBM website.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What did I say? Check POWERLEAP for compatability, www.powerleap.com IBM doesn't provide that information. Unless you were thinking of a standard production CPU (non-Powerleap), in which case I can tell you this-IBM had an extraordinary amount of information on their site, and it's usually very difficult to find.