Client Printing Issues

I have a client who is running a Windows 2003 Small Business Edition Server.
She is also running Windows XP Professional as her client connecting to this
server. We have setup a printer share on the Small Business Server which
points to a LaserJet 4100 on an HP JetDirect. I have set securities so that
anyone in the client's company can print to the print share, which should be
a big deal since there are only 25 employees at this company. The key point
of contact at this client keeps reporting that she gets an error message
where her Windows XP Professional Workstation cannot print to the network
printer. She has reported that she gets this error message from every
application that she tries to use and not just any one particular
application. The error message is very generic and simply states that the
workstation cannot print to the printer. I was told today that when she
deletes the printer share connection on her workstation and recreates the
connection then she can print to the printer without any problems for about a
day. She is saying that she has had this problem for about 8 months now
without any resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at
for why she is having such printing problems with this printer queue? I have
also been told that she is also having problems printing to other printer
shares on this particular server (with similar security arrangements). So
there appears to be someone on the workstation/server connection that is
causing problems. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Ward D. Cook

Expand AllCollapse All

Byte

That is not a printer problem but a server setup problem. Check with the
System Administrator or Server technician.

"Ward D. Cook" wrote:

> I have a client who is running a Windows 2003 Small Business Edition Server.
> She is also running Windows XP Professional as her client connecting to this
> server. We have setup a printer share on the Small Business Server which
> points to a LaserJet 4100 on an HP JetDirect. I have set securities so that
> anyone in the client's company can print to the print share, which should be
> a big deal since there are only 25 employees at this company. The key point
> of contact at this client keeps reporting that she gets an error message
> where her Windows XP Professional Workstation cannot print to the network
> printer. She has reported that she gets this error message from every
> application that she tries to use and not just any one particular
> application. The error message is very generic and simply states that the
> workstation cannot print to the printer. I was told today that when she
> deletes the printer share connection on her workstation and recreates the
> connection then she can print to the printer without any problems for about a
> day. She is saying that she has had this problem for about 8 months now
> without any resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at
> for why she is having such printing problems with this printer queue? I have
> also been told that she is also having problems printing to other printer
> shares on this particular server (with similar security arrangements). So
> there appears to be someone on the workstation/server connection that is
> causing problems. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Ward D. Cook
>

> Expand AllCollapse All

Byte,

Thanks for the feedback. I am both workstation administrator and server
administrator (in other words, this company pays my company to support their
network). So my question for you is: If this was a server related issue, why
would this affect only one user rather than all the users? Since multiple
people print to the same printer but this one user is the only person who
seems to be experiencing this problem, it would seem to me that the problem
would be related to the workstation, not the server. Can you give me any
specific details to further investigate?

Thanks!
Ward D. Cook

"Byte" wrote:

> That is not a printer problem but a server setup problem. Check with the
> System Administrator or Server technician.
>
> "Ward D. Cook" wrote:
>
> > I have a client who is running a Windows 2003 Small Business Edition Server.
> > She is also running Windows XP Professional as her client connecting to this
> > server. We have setup a printer share on the Small Business Server which
> > points to a LaserJet 4100 on an HP JetDirect. I have set securities so that
> > anyone in the client's company can print to the print share, which should be
> > a big deal since there are only 25 employees at this company. The key point
> > of contact at this client keeps reporting that she gets an error message
> > where her Windows XP Professional Workstation cannot print to the network
> > printer. She has reported that she gets this error message from every
> > application that she tries to use and not just any one particular
> > application. The error message is very generic and simply states that the
> > workstation cannot print to the printer. I was told today that when she
> > deletes the printer share connection on her workstation and recreates the
> > connection then she can print to the printer without any problems for about a
> > day. She is saying that she has had this problem for about 8 months now
> > without any resolution. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to look at
> > for why she is having such printing problems with this printer queue? I have
> > also been told that she is also having problems printing to other printer
> > shares on this particular server (with similar security arrangements). So
> > there appears to be someone on the workstation/server connection that is
> > causing problems. Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ward D. Cook
> >

> > Expand AllCollapse All

Byte

Have your client check the Network setup wizard at her work station. It
looks like she did not save her settings, thus having to reset it each day.
Deleting and
recreating share connections should be a one-time issue. It is difficult from
our/my perspective to analyze it.