I've been hearing that people take a P4 1.6 400MHz FSB and o'clock it to 2133Mhz at 533MHz.

I also hear that people take a 1.8GHz to 2.4GHz

Can you do exactly the same with a 2.4GHz 400MHz CPU?

That would make 3.2GHz !!!

I just wondered, cause the 400MHz & 533MHz 2.4s are the same price over here. Would make sense to get the 'so called' lesser one, wouldn't it?

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
If you're overclocking, you're better of getting a downbinned one, like the 1.6a or 1.8a. Save yourself some money. From what i've seen from other people, most of the Pentium 4's level out at about 2.9 or 3.0 Ghz with stock cooling, roughly in that area. I haven't seen any that can do 3.2 with stock cooling.

"When there's a will, there's a way."

When you say "1.6a or 18a", what does the "a" signify?

Is this just a standard Northwood (512k) or are other factors involved?

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"A" just means northwood. Following AMD's lead, people are calling the "533" versions "B", but I haven't seen any documentation to support that name.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

barureddy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I have gotten over 3ghz with stock cooling, but stability is out of the question. Idle is around 47C and haven't tried full load for the fear of screwing up my cpu. Voltage mods are a must for the cpu to even boot at those speeds, unless your a lucky bastard who got an awsome chip and can get their cpu to work with 1.6 volts (overvolt jumper on P4T533-C) when booting.

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
camieabz the Northwood "A" max out somwhere around 2.6 with air (on average - not all but alot)
My friend has the 2.2a running at 115 FSB which is 2.53GHz its totally stable
Temps:
idle - 41
load - 51
He doesn't want to push it any further as he is happy with it and doesn't want to risk damage.

But on the other hand the Nothwood "B" has been giving reports of hitting 3GHz+ on air !

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

I think I'll settle for the 1.8a @ 2.4GHz. For the price, that's a decent output.

So, I assume 1066 memory is the way to go?

That'll be 1.8a at 533 with RD 1066. Or am I as well as getting DDR.....what? 266, 300?

I don't plan to majorly heat this system. Just a decent o'c on the CPU and memory to run at stock with the oc'ed CPU. Probably stock HSF too.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Yeah, get the PC-1066, it overclocks much better. Don't go DDR, it doesn't provide as much performance. But the 1.8a is a good starting point. Stock HSF is more than enough.

So....care to suggest a decent 533 mobo with lots of stability. Preferably with reliable 10/100, but if not no matter.

I wonder if onboard 10/100 is as good as PCI 10/100 for connection to my router.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
If you're going for a 533Mhz RDR...

Asus P4T533-C i850e
$174

Or, if you're going to overclock the memory bus and the FSB, then 400Mhz RDR with...

Abit Th7II-RAID i850
$122

Both have onboard Realtek 10/100 ethernet. Performs just as well as a PCI ethernet card. Prices derived from Newegg.com, in US dollars.

killian2

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
Quetzacoatl, what about the Abit Th7II? With out the raid? Does it overclock as well? I would think it would. I'm curious because I'm probably going to get one with the 2.26GHz P4. And I don't need raid. Thanks.

Stiffler

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
Yep I can vouch for the Abit thats what the 2.2 PIV is running OC'ed on @ 2.5

A nice 11700 3DMark 2001SE score

Tim

I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me... You can call me Al

Forgot to mention.

RAID is a must.

Therefore I suppose the Abit mobo is the way to go.

So you're saying it's fine with oc'ing the mobo to 533FSB?

I just wanted to o'clock the CPU. You sure it'll handle it with decent stability? Also...does this mobo handle 1066 memory, or am I overclocking that too?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
So you're saying it's fine with oc'ing the mobo to 533FSB?

I just wanted to o'clock the CPU. You sure it'll handle it with decent stability? Also...does this mobo handle 1066 memory, or am I overclocking that too?
It's interesting that you mention that. The ABit TH7II-RAID only officially supports the 400MHz FSB. However, I'm running my Northwood B with it perfectly at a 533MHz FSB or higher. The TH7II uses the i850 chipset but it's the i850E that's "certified" for the 533MHz FSB. However, that doesn't seem to make a difference in day-to-day use. Not only will it handle it with decent stability, it will handle it with absolute stability.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

TRENDING THREADS