Old P3 upgrade!

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I have an old Intel SE440BX-2 mobo with a P3 500 in it, according to Intel my board supports up to a P3 600 (650 maybe). Either way, its the original P3 stile slot or whatever. I'm unfimiliar with slockets an' the like. Is there some sort of way to get a decent CPU in this thing?

With a slocket adaptor that has adjustable detected voltage jumpers you can run any P3 processor.

The 133fsb models will run your agp slot at 89mhz, This will require a Geforce2 or Radeon or newer video card. Along with PC133 memory..

I aint signing nothing!!!

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
We'll luckily I do have PC133 memory in it (although the board only uses PC100) and it's got a Radeon 8500LE.

I'm guessing there is no way to run a AMD CPU in it or a P4, correct?

Can you please elaborate on everything involved and also I could use some slocket model recomendations

barureddy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
From what it sounds like you have a slot 1 cpu connector. The only thing I know of that you can do to increase your processor speed/performance is to go with these guys http://www.evertech.com/category.cfm?Category=41. I have never tried them so I can't tell you how good they are. But from the looks of it they are your best option.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
I was looking online and I didn't realize it but they sell slot 1 P3s up to 1GHz (maybe more?). It seems to me that these would work in my BX but on <A HREF="http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/se440bx2/procsupp.htm" target="_new">Intel's site</A> they say that the board only supports up to 850 and thats with the revision I don't think I have!? I don't see why it couldn't handle a 1GHz slot 1 cpu, they run on 100MHz bus.

barureddy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I would be careful in that you motherboard might not accept the cpu. The best safty measure is to make sure you have the lattest bios.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
It's AA 720940-213 which I believe makes it one of the older boards and thus only capable of supporting up to 600MHz P3s.

Although, I've been looking at PowerLeap's Web Site and they've got a slocket 1.4GHz Celeron combo for $170 which is tempting except two things I'd be much happier if it weren't a celeron but a real P3 and there's got to be a cheaper solution to get a 1.4GHz Celeron in there, that chip is only ~$90.

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
So if I use a chip with 133fsb it would just automatically OC my mobo's fsb?! Seems like it would just run at 100fsb and underclock the chip. I have no BIOS settings to switch fsb or any of that good OCing stuff. :eek:

Stain

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
We'll this computer doesn't deserve more effort than a processor upgrade. Plus I've already got the RAM for this one. Everytime I think we'll this would work better if... then I just end up getting a hole new PC. Unless somehow I'd be cheaper.

Does anyone know where I can find something like PowerLeap's PL-iP3/T w/o a processor?!

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PowerLeap are the only people that make them.

They sell them without processors as well.

If you live around Toronto I'll lend you a PIII-800E you can test to see if it works. If the 800E works the 1000E will as well.

All in all, I don't think there is much worth doing to that computer. The PIII-500 katmai chips are fine for iexplore/word/excell and all that stuff. It's not much of a game player 'tho, which I guess is what you're after.

If you have PC133 memory you could drop in an Abit ST-6 motherboard for US$70 which would let you run any socket 370 chip and give you ATA-100, AGP 4x, and all that fancy stuff. A PIII-1200 would run you another $125 to bring it up to ~US$200 total. I'm not sure if that would be worth it to you.

- JW

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't believe everything you hear. First of all, your board does not support 133MHz FSB in BIOS at all, no Intel BX boards did. Most other companies supported 133MHz FSB with the BX, just that Intel is one of the few that didn't. Compgeeks caries the 1000E (not EB) in a Slot 1 version, which is 10x100, but your board does not support the proper voltage for it. In fact, not just any PIII 600 would fit, only the early "Katmai" core processors which used 512k of half-speed, off-die cache. And those are rare and pricey, along with performing worse than the later Coppermine core processors.

You can run a Coppermine on that board if you modify the detected voltage to 1.80v or higher, as long as you do NOT use the latest BIOS. What you need is a BIOS that is about 2 or 3 steps back from the latest. Intel updated their BIOS to NOT support the Coppermine CPU on this board, even though it was previously compatable on later revisions!

So as long as you're using a BIOS that's LATE enough to support the Coppermine, but EARLY enough not to have the Coppermine disabled, and as long as you modify the adjusted voltage to 1.80v or higher, you'll be fine.

The easiest way to do the voltage change is to use a Socket 370 CPU and a Slotket with adjustable voltage controll. The next easiest way is to use a standard slotket and make a jumper wire for it.

The Socket 370 "E" series was available in very small quantities at 1000 and 900MHz, but these are almost impossible to find. The 850 is easier.

Now that Powerleap kit is starting to sound like a good deal, no?

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>