Overclocking

I am having trouble overclocking my P4 1.8A. I have Kingston 1066 RIMMS and a Gigabyte 8IHXP M/B I bought a swifttech fan with A.S. 3. If I set the FSB above 116, the computer locks up immediately. Also, in the BIOS, I am supposed to be able to set the memory to PC600, PC800, or PC1066, but the 1066 option is not available. What can I do to be able to set the FSB to 133 atleast? Easy Tune 4 will not allow me to set anything but the FSB.
I have also tried setting the FSB manually in the BIOS, but after reboot I get an error about the speed in the BIOS not being set correctly.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BigRollTide on 07/08/02 11:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
5 answers Last reply
More about overclocking
  1. In order to have any extra options available and get rid of that message, you have to go into BIOS and set "CPU Speed Hold Error" to "Disabled". This is a "Feature" of Abit BIOS to prevent people like you from overclocking.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
  2. I'll look for something similar to that (my M/B not being an Abit). I was actually able to overclock it in the BIOS to 133 by raising the voltage to 1.55 (from 1.45). However, after reboot, I ran Easy Tune 4 and the extra options were still not there. In the BIOS, you can raise the FSB to 133.33 or 133.60 (then next step up is 136). At 133.33, Easy Tune saw the correct CPU speed (2400), but still thought the FSB was 100. Changed to 133.60 and Easy Tune saw both correctly, but the extra options were still not there??? BTW, CPU is at 36C idle on 133 FSB.
  3. I am not 100% sure on this but I believed that I read somewhere that that board you are talking about has problems when overclocked. I think the newest ones being shipped have stuff like voltages taken out of the bios. I can't remember where I read it....I will post it if i com accross it again.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>
  4. Ok, I was wrong, the board I was talking about was a different model but it may have a similar problem.

Here is the info as found on hardocp.

Tech Support???
    Here is an interesting one. One of our readers, Danny from Australia, told us the most bizarre story. Apparently he ordered the GA-8IR533 socket 478 motherboard because it clearly states that the board has "CPU FSB / Multiplier / Vcore Voltage adjustable via BIOS". Danny soon founf out there are no votage adjustments available on the board and contacted Gigabyte, this is their response:

Dear Sir,

The original version do have this features. However some users complain about the stability to change those features, we took the features away. We have inform the related department to correct the pages. Thank you for your email and sorry to make you any inconvenience.

*******Thank you for supporting Gigabyte products********

Umm, they couldn’t get the board stable so they removed Vcore adjustments altogether?? I guess I’m not getting a GA-8IR533 for overclocking since it lacks Vcore adjustments…too bad Danny had to get hosed first before finding that out. Real nice.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>
  5. Sorry, OK, tell you what, I'm still trying to get one of those boards, when I do, I'll figure everything out and let you know.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking BIOS