Transferring a print job

terry

I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the new
one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
despooling? HELP

spooled job reside in windows\system32\spool\printers. The print job is
formatted for the old device. Some old devices are compatible with newer
devices but the odds are 50% that this can work.

If the old printer is not an HP you will most likely get lots of garbage
when you send the doc formatted for device 1 to device 2.

There are a couple of ways to do this, you can skip this first part if you
do not wish to save a copy for multiple attempts.

open a cmd windows
Start / Run / cmd
at the command prompt
net stop spooler
md c:\newspool
copy %windir%\system32\spool\printers c:\newspool

net start spooler

Open the printers folder and open the new printer/ properties/ Port
note the Port name

Open the old printer / properties / Port and change the port to the port
used by the new printer

if the job on the old printer is in an error state say printing to LPT1 and
you have now changed the port to USB002, there will be at least a 90 sec
time period before the job can get rescheduled to the other port. If it
does not happen right click the job and select restart.

If you get a bunch of garbage on the new printer the job is formatted in a
PDL (print description language) that the new device does not understand.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
> new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the
> new
> one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
> despooling? HELP

Byte

When you click on print, you should have gotten choice of which printer to
go to, or one of your printers is a default printer. It then goes in queue
and
loads onto the printer spooler/memory. Once the job has finished printing
the queue is deleted and the spooler is vacated. Try your source for another
chance at it. Next time print to file first before actually printing.

"Terry" wrote:

> I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
> new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the new
> one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
> despooling? HELP

You could install the Aloaha PDF Suite. www.aloaha.com
It will convert your spool file into PDF and than you can print the PDF to
an other Printer.
CU

"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
> new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the
> new
> one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
> despooling? HELP

terry

Dear Stefan...

This sounds like a nice thing, but I tried the web and could not find
"Aloaha PDF Suite. Anyplace, although a lot of hawaiian vacation came up, and
documents that were preported to be Aloha PDF. I have Adobe Reader is that
what you are talking about?

---- Terry

www.aloaha.com

"Stefan Engelbert" <stefan@engelbert.de> wrote in message news:<e1SSvmmSFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> www.aloaha.com
>
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dear Stefan...
> >
> > This sounds like a nice thing, but I tried the web and could not find
> > "Aloaha PDF Suite. Anyplace, although a lot of hawaiian vacation came up,
> > and
> > documents that were preported to be Aloha PDF. I have Adobe Reader is
> > that
> > what you are talking about?
> >
> > ---- Terry
> >
> > "Stefan Engelbert" wrote:
> >
> >> You could install the Aloaha PDF Suite. www.aloaha.com
> >> It will convert your spool file into PDF and than you can print the PDF
> >> an other Printer.
> >> CU
> >>
> >> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hallo Terry,

take a look at www.lvbprint.de.
You can download splviewer, a small tool to view and print SPL-files
to most windows printers. It's free for documents with less than 300
pages.
(It's german, but not difficult to understand. If your printjob is
still alive
just type strg+j, select and print the job)

Dieter