Transferring a print job

I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the new
one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
despooling? HELP
6 answers Last reply
More about transferring print

    spooled job reside in windows\system32\spool\printers. The print job is
    formatted for the old device. Some old devices are compatible with newer
    devices but the odds are 50% that this can work.

    If the old printer is not an HP you will most likely get lots of garbage
    when you send the doc formatted for device 1 to device 2.

    There are a couple of ways to do this, you can skip this first part if you
    do not wish to save a copy for multiple attempts.

    open a cmd windows
    Start / Run / cmd
    at the command prompt
    net stop spooler
    md c:\newspool
    copy %windir%\system32\spool\printers c:\newspool

    net start spooler

    Open the printers folder and open the new printer/ properties/ Port
    note the Port name

    Open the old printer / properties / Port and change the port to the port
    used by the new printer

    if the job on the old printer is in an error state say printing to LPT1 and
    you have now changed the port to USB002, there will be at least a 90 sec
    time period before the job can get rescheduled to the other port. If it
    does not happen right click the job and select restart.

    If you get a bunch of garbage on the new printer the job is formatted in a
    PDL (print description language) that the new device does not understand.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
    > new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the
    > new
    > one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
    > despooling? HELP

    When you click on print, you should have gotten choice of which printer to
    go to, or one of your printers is a default printer. It then goes in queue
    and
    loads onto the printer spooler/memory. Once the job has finished printing
    the queue is deleted and the spooler is vacated. Try your source for another
    chance at it. Next time print to file first before actually printing.

    "Terry" wrote:

    > I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
    > new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the new
    > one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
    > despooling? HELP

    You could install the Aloaha PDF Suite. www.aloaha.com
    It will convert your spool file into PDF and than you can print the PDF to
    an other Printer.
    CU

    "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I accidentally printed a project to my old printer after having installed a
    > new HP printer. How do I get the print job from the old printer to the
    > new
    > one? PS. The project cannot be reprinted. Where do print jobs await
    > despooling? HELP

    Dear Stefan...

    This sounds like a nice thing, but I tried the web and could not find
    "Aloaha PDF Suite. Anyplace, although a lot of hawaiian vacation came up, and
    documents that were preported to be Aloha PDF. I have Adobe Reader is that
    what you are talking about?

    ---- Terry

    www.aloaha.com

    "Stefan Engelbert" <stefan@engelbert.de> wrote in message news:<e1SSvmmSFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
    > www.aloaha.com
    >
    > "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear Stefan...
    > >
    > > This sounds like a nice thing, but I tried the web and could not find
    > > "Aloaha PDF Suite. Anyplace, although a lot of hawaiian vacation came up,
    > > and
    > > documents that were preported to be Aloha PDF. I have Adobe Reader is
    > > that
    > > what you are talking about?
    > >
    > > ---- Terry
    > >
    > > "Stefan Engelbert" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You could install the Aloaha PDF Suite. www.aloaha.com
    > >> It will convert your spool file into PDF and than you can print the PDF
    > >> an other Printer.
    > >> CU
    > >>
    > >> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hallo Terry,

    take a look at www.lvbprint.de.
    You can download splviewer, a small tool to view and print SPL-files
    to most windows printers. It's free for documents with less than 300
    pages.
    (It's german, but not difficult to understand. If your printjob is
    still alive
    just type strg+j, select and print the job)

    Dieter

Microsoft Printers Windows XP HP Printers