You are anon and want a ressurection or hp buff?

May I ask how did you find me?

*sigh*

Mheldur 65 Cleric

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

> May I ask how did you find me?
>
> *sigh*

Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
they could just know from sometime in the past.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
>
> > May I ask how did you find me?
> >
> > *sigh*
> >

> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I remember asking someone for a rez once long ago. They asked how I knew
they were a cleric since they were anon.

"/tell Healyou Call it a lucky guess."

Interestingly enough, you *can* guess that the anon people are clerics and
enchanters. If I see an anon robe-wearer, it's an enchanter 99 times out of
100. If I see an anon plate-wearer, it's a cleric 9,999 times out of 10k.

Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

Submitted by: Vidden
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum

>> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
>> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
>> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I think the OP was complaining that someone who is anon shouldn't be asking
for buffs from those who aren't. I tend to agree that it's rude to ask for
something if you are not prepared to do the same.

I'll skip my rant that /role should do nothing except change your name
color, and /anon should stack with it if you think that seeing class and
level hurts roleplaying.

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
>I remember asking someone for a rez once long ago. They asked how I knew
>they were a cleric since they were anon.
>"/tell Healyou Call it a lucky guess."

>Interestingly enough, you *can* guess that the anon people are clerics and
>enchanters. If I see an anon robe-wearer, it's an enchanter 99 times out of
>100. If I see an anon plate-wearer, it's a cleric 9,999 times out of 10k.

I wish everyone were so smart. The number of times someone has come up to me
(wearing a robe, carrying my snake or eyeball staff) and asked for SoW, a rez,
or a port is unbelievable.

That said, buff/rez beggars shouldn't be blamed, nor should those who choose
to help or not to help. It's part of the game, and a polite "sorry, I'm busy
just now" should be enough. If someone pesters you after that, feel free
to respond "sure, but it'll be a few minutes" and then /ignore and forget
about 'em.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/>

Wolfie

"Graeme Faelban" wrote

> Meldur wrote

>> May I ask how did you find me?
>>
>> *sigh*
>>

> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
The anon player isn't the cleric...

I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.

What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
<Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:

>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

I do that with my Druid. I even carry a parrying dagger too :D

Palindrome

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:15:00 -0700, (Mark Rafn) wrote:

> I wish everyone were so smart. The number of times someone has come up to me
> (wearing a robe, carrying my snake or eyeball staff) and asked for SoW, a rez,
> or a port is unbelievable.

The one that always sticks in my mind is the low level wizard who asked
my plate wearing cleric for a port. What!?!

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:50:16 GMT in
<sLzye.218959$w15.211774@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, "Wolfie"
<bgbdwolf@gte.net> graced the world with this thought:

>I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.

Seems to me that if it bothered you, you should've just gone anon
yourself, or are you trying to insist that other people play according
to the way you want them to?

Wolfie

"bizbee" wrote
"Wolfie" graced the world with this thought:

>>I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>>was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>>that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>>/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>
> Seems to me that if it bothered you, you should've just gone anon
> yourself, or are you trying to insist that other people play according
> to the way you want them to?

Seems to me you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. I'm
perfectly fine with them being /anon. Why wouldn't I be?
They can play however they want. That doesn't mean I
*have* to give them a rez, however, regardless of *my*
reasons. Are you of the opinion every cleric that isn't /anon
is at the beck and call of anyone who asks for something?
Sounds like you're the one insisting other people play
according to the way you want them to...

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
>> Meldur wrote
>
>>> May I ask how did you find me?
>>>
>>> *sigh*
>>>

>> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes
>> are fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player.
>> Alternatively, they could just know from sometime in the past.
>
> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>
> I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>
> What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?

Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
bombarded by tells for buffs.

--

"Graeme Faelban" wrote:
> >"Wolfie" wrote:
> > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> > The anon player isn't the cleric...
> >
> > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
> >
> > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
> >

> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
> bombarded by tells for buffs.

When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty of high
level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a little
perturbed (human nature, dontcha know). However, I understand there are
reasons s/he may not want to buff at that moment. It has never occurred to
me to send a /tell to a cleric and pester him/her for temp (in PoK or
elsewhere). I simply adjust my strategy (play without temp, bring in a
different toon, etc.) and go on with my day. And you know what? Quite
often a cleric will send me a /tell to come get buffed even though s/he is
not open for business.

Simple courtesy, acknowledged or not, goes a long way.

~Deborah~

Bristlebane Server:
Kentigern Fyrebear - Level 37 / Barbarian / Shaman
Vaerity Trueheart - Level 28 / Gnome / Paladin
Khatti - Level 17 / Vah Shir / Beastlord

<> wrote:
> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
> > >"Wolfie" wrote:
> > > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> > > The anon player isn't the cleric...
> > >
> > > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> > > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> > > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> > > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
> > >
> > > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> > > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
> > >

> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> > attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
> > bombarded by tells for buffs.
>
> When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty of high
> level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a little
> perturbed (human nature, dontcha know).

The temperance spell is the result of a quest in a little used expansion
that came out after a large number of clerics already had a better version
of the spell. I've always been amazed that as many clerics have it as do.

Wolfie

"Graeme Faelban" wrote

>> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>>
> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> attitude at all.

The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
: The temperance spell is the result of a quest in a little used expansion
: that came out after a large number of clerics already had a better version
: of the spell. I've always been amazed that as many clerics have it as do.

If they are using the quested version. It must be noted that LDoN had
a group version of that spell also.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <3GUye.219173$w15.175997@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
bgbdwolf@gte.net says...

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
> >> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> >> The anon player isn't the cleric...
> >>
> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> > attitude at all.
>
> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...

That's actually not necessarily true. I am not /anon, but at the same
time I don't have the slightest inclination to respond to /ooc or
/aution begs, and will actively ignore /shout-ers.

I'm not against buffing someone though. And if someone sends me a tell
and I'm not really too busy I'll usually agree to buff.

I guess it boils down to /ooc etc doesn't expect or demand a response so
i ignore it. Once I've been singled out with a tell, though, a response
is more expected... he's asking *me* ... and unless I'm actually too
busy I'll probably respond favourably.

Treble the odds of me being willing if they actually took the time to
actually find me first.

I find many people share this trait, and use it to my advantage to get
buffs, find groups, and all sorts of things.

It applies in real life too.

"~Deborah~" <thoughtsinterrupted[NO@SPAM]hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
>> >"Wolfie" wrote:
>> > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>> > The anon player isn't the cleric...
>> >
>> > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>> > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>> > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>> > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>> >
>> > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
>> > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
>> >

>> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
>> that attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often,
>> otherwise I am bombarded by tells for buffs.
>
> When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty
> of high level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a
> little perturbed (human nature, dontcha know). However, I understand
> there are reasons s/he may not want to buff at that moment. It has
> never occurred to me to send a /tell to a cleric and pester him/her
> for temp (in PoK or elsewhere). I simply adjust my strategy (play
> without temp, bring in a different toon, etc.) and go on with my day.
> And you know what? Quite often a cleric will send me a /tell to come
> get buffed even though s/he is not open for business.
>
> Simple courtesy, acknowledged or not, goes a long way.

I never send direct tells to someone requesting a buff/rez/whatever,
unless they have given some indication that they are inclined to perform
said service. Unfortunately, expecting the same from others does not
make it so.

--

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:3GUye.219173$w15.175997
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
>>> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>>> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>>>
>> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
that
>> attitude at all.
>
> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...

I never send a direct tell to someone who has not indicated in some
fashion that they are willing to perform whatever service I am
requesting. I go anon in certain zones in order to reduce the liklihood
that buff beggars will send me a tell.

I watch ooc/auction/shout to see who is offering the service I am looking
for, or I use ooc to advertise that I am looking for said service. If I
don't find it available, I do without.

It just never bothered me in the slightest that someone was anon when
sending me a tell begging for a buff, it bothered me that they sent me
the tell period, their anon/roleplay status never figured into it. In
fact, I almost never even know what their anon/roleplay status is, I
generally don't bother to answer or buff or check on them. Which is why
I don't understand the attitude you are describing I suppose.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
<Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:

>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.

murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
> <Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:
>

>>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!
>
> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.

Well, they have, but it's zero xp...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

On 7 Jul 2005 14:56:27 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
>> <Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>>>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>>>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!
>>
>> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
>> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
>> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
>> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.
>>

>Well, they have, but it's zero xp...

If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
fashion again. When did this happen?

> On 7 Jul 2005 14:56:27 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
>>> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do
>>> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
>>> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.
>>>

>>Well, they have, but it's zero xp...
>
> If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
> fashion again. When did this happen?

OOW AA. Shaman and druids got similar ones. In addition there is the
veteran AA, self only 100% xp rez, once every week or something. Anyone
who has played long enough has that one for free.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

>> If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
>> fashion again. When did this happen?
>>

> OOW AA. Shaman and druids got similar ones. In addition there is the
> veteran AA, self only 100% xp rez, once every week or something. Anyone
> who has played long enough has that one for free.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons
>
> On Steamfont
> Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
> Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

The really good thing about the Veteran reward rez it that it brings your
corpse to you, so no corpse run involved. Bind in PoK, die, rez, buff up and
then run back to where you were fighting and you are ready to go.

Mike W. OF

Hi there! I guess my situation is from the other side. I generally don't
advertise that I am willing to buff. I have done that before, but the crowd
that amasses makes it too confusing to keep track, and empties my mana with
many standing around waiting--then I feel compelled to stay until everyone
has the buff. This could take a long time. I usually answer people's /ooc
requests. This way it's a lot easier to control the flow of people seeking
me out and I can stop whenever I like.

As far as people sending me tells, I never minded that in the least. It's
always easy to say no, for whatever reason, and it's also great fun to go
back and forth with an irate requester/demander when he insists that because
I'm a cleric, it's my duty to buff/rez people.

Neither of these scenarios hardly happen anymore since I switched to eq2.
Once in a blue moon I'll get on eq1 for nostalgic reasons and maybe buff a
little or extend a rez. Then I might go off to try to obtain that elusive
last pearlesent shard that I need to complete the set of four for my epic
ONE. Just for fun I'll pick a fight with a gollum guarding the entrance to
the city in the Overthere. While meleeing I'll start casting heals and
wonder why I'm not gaining health, then realize I never targetted myself
during the combat--oh the little subtleties between the game versions...8-/

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> In article <3GUye.219173$w15.175997@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> bgbdwolf@gte.net says...
>>
>> "Graeme Faelban" wrote

>> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
>> > that attitude at all.
>>
>> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
>> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
>> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
>> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
>> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...
>
> That's actually not necessarily true. I am not /anon, but at the same
> time I don't have the slightest inclination to respond to /ooc or
> /aution begs, and will actively ignore /shout-ers.

On a side note, I've never understood the /shout Nazis who get all bent
out of shape if you use the /shout channel. Sure, if you're asking a
question about some game mechanic or how to go about using the tribute
system, but to, for example, enter an area and shout out that you are
looking for others with whom to adventure seems appropriate to me.
That's how the character would handle it short of entering a tavern and
"passing the word", so to speak, so why use a channel created for out-
of-character communication? Is it just the harsh red color that bugs
people?

Bah, whatever.

--
Rumble