You are anon and want a ressurection or hp buff?

Tags:
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
a b α HP
July 5, 2005 9:35:44 PM

May I ask how did you find me?

*sigh*

Mheldur 65 Cleric

More about : anon ressurection buff

Anonymous
a b α HP
July 5, 2005 9:35:45 PM

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

> May I ask how did you find me?
>
> *sigh*

Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
they could just know from sometime in the past.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 5, 2005 9:35:46 PM

<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
>
> > May I ask how did you find me?
> >
> > *sigh*
> >

> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I remember asking someone for a rez once long ago. They asked how I knew
they were a cleric since they were anon.

"/tell Healyou Call it a lucky guess."

Interestingly enough, you *can* guess that the anon people are clerics and
enchanters. If I see an anon robe-wearer, it's an enchanter 99 times out of
100. If I see an anon plate-wearer, it's a cleric 9,999 times out of 10k.
a b α HP
July 5, 2005 9:35:47 PM

Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

Submitted by: Vidden
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 5, 2005 9:35:47 PM

>> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
>> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
>> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I think the OP was complaining that someone who is anon shouldn't be asking
for buffs from those who aren't. I tend to agree that it's rude to ask for
something if you are not prepared to do the same.

I'll skip my rant that /role should do nothing except change your name
color, and /anon should stack with it if you think that seeing class and
level hurts roleplaying.

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
>I remember asking someone for a rez once long ago. They asked how I knew
>they were a cleric since they were anon.
>"/tell Healyou Call it a lucky guess."

>Interestingly enough, you *can* guess that the anon people are clerics and
>enchanters. If I see an anon robe-wearer, it's an enchanter 99 times out of
>100. If I see an anon plate-wearer, it's a cleric 9,999 times out of 10k.

I wish everyone were so smart. The number of times someone has come up to me
(wearing a robe, carrying my snake or eyeball staff) and asked for SoW, a rez,
or a port is unbelievable.

That said, buff/rez beggars shouldn't be blamed, nor should those who choose
to help or not to help. It's part of the game, and a polite "sorry, I'm busy
just now" should be enough. If someone pesters you after that, feel free
to respond "sure, but it'll be a few minutes" and then /ignore and forget
about 'em.
--
Mark Rafn dagon@dagon.net <http://www.dagon.net/&gt;
July 5, 2005 9:50:16 PM

"Graeme Faelban" wrote

> Meldur wrote

>> May I ask how did you find me?
>>
>> *sigh*
>>

> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes are
> fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player. Alternatively,
> they could just know from sometime in the past.

I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
The anon player isn't the cleric...

I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.

What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 12:04:48 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
<Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:

>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

I do that with my Druid. I even carry a parrying dagger too :D

Palindrome
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 4:32:27 AM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:15:00 -0700, (Mark Rafn) wrote:

> I wish everyone were so smart. The number of times someone has come up to me
> (wearing a robe, carrying my snake or eyeball staff) and asked for SoW, a rez,
> or a port is unbelievable.

The one that always sticks in my mind is the low level wizard who asked
my plate wearing cleric for a port. What!?!
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 5:41:50 AM

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 17:50:16 GMT in
<sLzye.218959$w15.211774@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, "Wolfie"
<bgbdwolf@gte.net> graced the world with this thought:

>I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.

Seems to me that if it bothered you, you should've just gone anon
yourself, or are you trying to insist that other people play according
to the way you want them to?
July 6, 2005 7:45:38 AM

"bizbee" wrote
"Wolfie" graced the world with this thought:

>>I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>>was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>>that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>>/tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>
> Seems to me that if it bothered you, you should've just gone anon
> yourself, or are you trying to insist that other people play according
> to the way you want them to?

Seems to me you're jumping to the wrong conclusion. I'm
perfectly fine with them being /anon. Why wouldn't I be?
They can play however they want. That doesn't mean I
*have* to give them a rez, however, regardless of *my*
reasons. Are you of the opinion every cleric that isn't /anon
is at the beck and call of anyone who asks for something?
Sounds like you're the one insisting other people play
according to the way you want them to...
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 5:57:57 PM

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
>> Meldur wrote
>
>>> May I ask how did you find me?
>>>
>>> *sigh*
>>>

>> Well, if in PoK or such, then, they could have seen you, many classes
>> are fairly easy to distinguish just by looking at the player.
>> Alternatively, they could just know from sometime in the past.
>
> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>
> I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>
> What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?

Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
bombarded by tells for buffs.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 7:54:04 PM

"Graeme Faelban" wrote:
> >"Wolfie" wrote:
> > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> > The anon player isn't the cleric...
> >
> > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
> >
> > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
> >

> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
> bombarded by tells for buffs.

When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty of high
level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a little
perturbed (human nature, dontcha know). However, I understand there are
reasons s/he may not want to buff at that moment. It has never occurred to
me to send a /tell to a cleric and pester him/her for temp (in PoK or
elsewhere). I simply adjust my strategy (play without temp, bring in a
different toon, etc.) and go on with my day. And you know what? Quite
often a cleric will send me a /tell to come get buffed even though s/he is
not open for business.

Simple courtesy, acknowledged or not, goes a long way.

~Deborah~

Bristlebane Server:
Kentigern Fyrebear - Level 37 / Barbarian / Shaman
Vaerity Trueheart - Level 28 / Gnome / Paladin
Khatti - Level 17 / Vah Shir / Beastlord
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 7:54:05 PM

<> wrote:
> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
> > >"Wolfie" wrote:
> > > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> > > The anon player isn't the cleric...
> > >
> > > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
> > > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
> > > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
> > > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
> > >
> > > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
> > > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
> > >

> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> > attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often, otherwise I am
> > bombarded by tells for buffs.
>
> When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty of high
> level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a little
> perturbed (human nature, dontcha know).

The temperance spell is the result of a quest in a little used expansion
that came out after a large number of clerics already had a better version
of the spell. I've always been amazed that as many clerics have it as do.
July 6, 2005 9:38:07 PM

"Graeme Faelban" wrote

>> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>>
> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> attitude at all.

The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 10:07:33 PM

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote:
: The temperance spell is the result of a quest in a little used expansion
: that came out after a large number of clerics already had a better version
: of the spell. I've always been amazed that as many clerics have it as do.

If they are using the quested version. It must be noted that LDoN had
a group version of that spell also.

July 6, 2005 10:13:26 PM

In article <3GUye.219173$w15.175997@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
bgbdwolf@gte.net says...

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
> >> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
> >> The anon player isn't the cleric...
> >>
> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood that
> > attitude at all.
>
> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...

That's actually not necessarily true. I am not /anon, but at the same
time I don't have the slightest inclination to respond to /ooc or
/aution begs, and will actively ignore /shout-ers.

I'm not against buffing someone though. And if someone sends me a tell
and I'm not really too busy I'll usually agree to buff.

I guess it boils down to /ooc etc doesn't expect or demand a response so
i ignore it. Once I've been singled out with a tell, though, a response
is more expected... he's asking *me* ... and unless I'm actually too
busy I'll probably respond favourably.

Treble the odds of me being willing if they actually took the time to
actually find me first.

I find many people share this trait, and use it to my advantage to get
buffs, find groups, and all sorts of things.

It applies in real life too.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 11:26:31 PM

"~Deborah~" <thoughtsinterrupted[NO@SPAM]hotmail.com> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
>> >"Wolfie" wrote:
>> > I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>> > The anon player isn't the cleric...
>> >
>> > I made a habit of doing /who and being 'busy' if the requester
>> > was anon (if I didn't know them, of course.) Back then
>> > that was mostly druids/wizards, however, using anon to avoid
>> > /tell themselves. A bit of the 'what's good for the goose' IMO.
>> >
>> > What always amazed me was the druids (usually) going anon
>> > AND moving from zone to zone hawking ports. Huh?
>> >

>> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
>> that attitude at all. Yes, I do go anon in PoK quite often,
>> otherwise I am bombarded by tells for buffs.
>
> When I am looking for temp in the PoK and I can see there are plenty
> of high level clerics around and not one is responding, I might get a
> little perturbed (human nature, dontcha know). However, I understand
> there are reasons s/he may not want to buff at that moment. It has
> never occurred to me to send a /tell to a cleric and pester him/her
> for temp (in PoK or elsewhere). I simply adjust my strategy (play
> without temp, bring in a different toon, etc.) and go on with my day.
> And you know what? Quite often a cleric will send me a /tell to come
> get buffed even though s/he is not open for business.
>
> Simple courtesy, acknowledged or not, goes a long way.

I never send direct tells to someone requesting a buff/rez/whatever,
unless they have given some indication that they are inclined to perform
said service. Unfortunately, expecting the same from others does not
make it so.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 6, 2005 11:31:13 PM

"Wolfie" <bgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:3GUye.219173$w15.175997
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote
>
>>> I believe you missed the point: "You are anon and WANT a rez?"
>>> The anon player isn't the cleric...
>>>
>> Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
that
>> attitude at all.
>
> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...

I never send a direct tell to someone who has not indicated in some
fashion that they are willing to perform whatever service I am
requesting. I go anon in certain zones in order to reduce the liklihood
that buff beggars will send me a tell.

I watch ooc/auction/shout to see who is offering the service I am looking
for, or I use ooc to advertise that I am looking for said service. If I
don't find it available, I do without.

It just never bothered me in the slightest that someone was anon when
sending me a tell begging for a buff, it bothered me that they sent me
the tell period, their anon/roleplay status never figured into it. In
fact, I almost never even know what their anon/roleplay status is, I
generally don't bother to answer or buff or check on them. Which is why
I don't understand the attitude you are describing I suppose.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 7, 2005 4:48:20 PM

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
<Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:

>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!

My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 7, 2005 6:56:27 PM

murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
> <Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:
>

>>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!
>
> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.

Well, they have, but it's zero xp...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 3:19:32 AM

On 7 Jul 2005 14:56:27 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 11:52:34 -0500, Vidden
>> <Vidden.1rphdp@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Here is the fix for the clerics. Equip a Ruined Heretic Longsword
>>>(all/all from the hole), go anon, and say you are a warrior when asked
>>>for buffs. Thats what I do and it works great!
>>
>> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
>> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do a
>> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
>> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.
>>

>Well, they have, but it's zero xp...

If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
fashion again. When did this happen?
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 7:45:50 PM

> On 7 Jul 2005 14:56:27 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>> My human druid had the reverse problem... couple of times people
>>> running by me stopped and asked for a rez. Obviously they didn't do
>>> who on me because I was almost never anon. I had to gently break it
>>> to them that they hadn't given druids rez yet.
>>>

>>Well, they have, but it's zero xp...
>
> If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
> fashion again. When did this happen?

OOW AA. Shaman and druids got similar ones. In addition there is the
veteran AA, self only 100% xp rez, once every week or something. Anyone
who has played long enough has that one for free.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 8, 2005 7:45:51 PM

>> If only I had kept playing... maybe my druid would have come into
>> fashion again. When did this happen?
>>

> OOW AA. Shaman and druids got similar ones. In addition there is the
> veteran AA, self only 100% xp rez, once every week or something. Anyone
> who has played long enough has that one for free.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons
>
> On Steamfont
> Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
> Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

The really good thing about the Veteran reward rez it that it brings your
corpse to you, so no corpse run involved. Bind in PoK, die, rez, buff up and
then run back to where you were fighting and you are ready to go.

Mike W. OF
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 9, 2005 1:43:31 AM

Hi there! I guess my situation is from the other side. I generally don't
advertise that I am willing to buff. I have done that before, but the crowd
that amasses makes it too confusing to keep track, and empties my mana with
many standing around waiting--then I feel compelled to stay until everyone
has the buff. This could take a long time. I usually answer people's /ooc
requests. This way it's a lot easier to control the flow of people seeking
me out and I can stop whenever I like.

As far as people sending me tells, I never minded that in the least. It's
always easy to say no, for whatever reason, and it's also great fun to go
back and forth with an irate requester/demander when he insists that because
I'm a cleric, it's my duty to buff/rez people.

Neither of these scenarios hardly happen anymore since I switched to eq2.
Once in a blue moon I'll get on eq1 for nostalgic reasons and maybe buff a
little or extend a rez. Then I might go off to try to obtain that elusive
last pearlesent shard that I need to complete the set of four for my epic
ONE. Just for fun I'll pick a fight with a gollum guarding the entrance to
the city in the Overthere. While meleeing I'll start casting heals and
wonder why I'm not gaining health, then realize I never targetted myself
during the combat--oh the little subtleties between the game versions...8-/

"Meldur" <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in message
> May I ask how did you find me?
>
> *sigh*
>
> Mheldur 65 Cleric
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 9, 2005 5:37:43 AM

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in

> In article <3GUye.219173$w15.175997@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>,
> bgbdwolf@gte.net says...
>>
>> "Graeme Faelban" wrote

>> > Yes, you are correct, I did, mostly because I just never understood
>> > that attitude at all.
>>
>> The attitude boils down to "You're too busy/elite/whatever to be
>> bothered by beggars but you're not too busy/elite/whatever to
>> be a beggar yourself. Go away." I never understood people
>> who would send /tells for buffs or a rez. Use /ooc or /shout and
>> you're far more likely to get a favorable response from someone...
>
> That's actually not necessarily true. I am not /anon, but at the same
> time I don't have the slightest inclination to respond to /ooc or
> /aution begs, and will actively ignore /shout-ers.

On a side note, I've never understood the /shout Nazis who get all bent
out of shape if you use the /shout channel. Sure, if you're asking a
question about some game mechanic or how to go about using the tribute
system, but to, for example, enter an area and shout out that you are
looking for others with whom to adventure seems appropriate to me.
That's how the character would handle it short of entering a tavern and
"passing the word", so to speak, so why use a channel created for out-
of-character communication? Is it just the harsh red color that bugs
people?

Bah, whatever.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

In article <Xns968DD1DA27FA1Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.204.17>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
>
> On a side note, I've never understood the /shout Nazis who get all bent
> out of shape if you use the /shout channel.

It demands attention, it signfies urgency. Its the emergency broadcast
system of Everquest.

It should be used to announce trains, to announce the arrival of a
hostile guild (in a pvp zone/game/server), possibly for critical issues
on a raid. And other things of import to the people in the area.

It is *not* an emergency that your KEI ran out. Or that you'd like a
cleric to join you on a 30th level LDoN run. Or that your selling your
cloak. Or that your guild is recruiting.

> Sure, if you're asking a
> question about some game mechanics or how to go about using the tribute
> system,

/agreed. that's what /ooc was /visioned for

> but to, for example, enter an area and shout out that you are
> looking for others with whom to adventure seems appropriate to me.

Nope. We have a channel for that. /auction is where you -should- be
requesting or offering goods and services, including rezzes, keis,
ports, guilds, and groups.

/auction has the same affect of being a zone wide plea without the
overtones of CODE RED EMERGENCY PANIC TIME!! that go with /shout.

/ooc and /auction are the same colour by default. Putting them at the
same importance level. Its merely convention that /ooc is so dominant
for all chatter... possibly because /auction was the same color and took
longer to type out. (at least it follows that rule that you should never
attribute to malice what can be explained by laziness.)

> That's how the character would handle it short of entering a tavern and
> "passing the word",

When was the last time your car broke down and you needed a little help
that you walked into a crowed space and then at the top of your lungs
belted out:

HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
CAN SOMEBODY COME BOOST MY CAR!!

In the woods at least you might should because you actually need to be
heard. In EQ /auction is plenty 'loud' enough to get your message
accross the zone efficiently without using the emergency broadcast
system.

> so to speak, so why use a channel created for out-
> of-character communication?

Agreed. Use /auction.

> Is it just the harsh red color that bugs
> people?

/shout is red for important/emergency. It bugs people when other people
think their slightest inconvience is a zonewide emergency.

Me, I've configured shout to be grey. I don't usually notice them.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 10, 2005 7:53:20 PM

> In article <Xns968DD1DA27FA1Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.204.17>,
> Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
>>
>> On a side note, I've never understood the /shout Nazis who get all
>> bent out of shape if you use the /shout channel.
>
> It demands attention, it signfies urgency. Its the emergency broadcast
> system of Everquest.
>
> It should be used to announce trains, to announce the arrival of a
> hostile guild (in a pvp zone/game/server), possibly for critical
> issues on a raid. And other things of import to the people in the
> area.
>
> It is *not* an emergency that your KEI ran out. Or that you'd like a
> cleric to join you on a 30th level LDoN run. Or that your selling your
> cloak. Or that your guild is recruiting.

But it is a shout. Your character is shouting out something to everyone.
Who says it was designed to be some sort of emergency broadcast system?
I'm in full agreement that it shouldn't be overused, but I do disagree
with some scenarios where some consider its use inappropriate.

>> Sure, if you're asking a
>> question about some game mechanics or how to go about using the
>> tribute system,
>
> /agreed. that's what /ooc was /visioned for
>
>> but to, for example, enter an area and shout out that you are
>> looking for others with whom to adventure seems appropriate to me.
>
> Nope. We have a channel for that. /auction is where you -should- be
> requesting or offering goods and services, including rezzes, keis,
> ports, guilds, and groups.

What the heck does /auction have to do with someone, say, shouting out
for assistance defeating a particular creature?

> /auction has the same affect of being a zone wide plea without the
> overtones of CODE RED EMERGENCY PANIC TIME!! that go with /shout.
>
> /ooc and /auction are the same colour by default. Putting them at the
> same importance level. Its merely convention that /ooc is so dominant
> for all chatter... possibly because /auction was the same color and
> took longer to type out. (at least it follows that rule that you
> should never attribute to malice what can be explained by laziness.)

I think that's a convention that's been applied somewhat incorrectly.
The color red could merely be used to get your attention, not convey any
sense of urgency - though with train notifications, for example, it
would serve both purposes.

>> That's how the character would handle it short of entering a tavern
>> and "passing the word",
>
> When was the last time your car broke down and you needed a little
> help that you walked into a crowed space and then at the top of your
> lungs belted out:
>
> HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
> HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
> HEY! ANYBODY WANT TO COME BOOST MY CAR?
> CAN SOMEBODY COME BOOST MY CAR!!

Well, if I lived in the world of EQ where there were no phones and it
was an accepted means of communicating with the masses where I had no
one specific person I should contact, then yes.

I understand that you're saying it's *not* an accepted means of
communicating. I'm just questioning why. From an RP standpoint, it
doesn't seem to make sense.

Of course, the example you cite there would only be particularly
obnoxious due to the frequency and redundancy of the message. There is a
distinct level of selfishness exhibited when one feels the need to spam
the same phrase over and over and often. 1) They don't care who it might
bother as long as they might catch that one person who will help them
the moment they zone in, and 2) it's not consistent with an RP approach,
as generally someone in need such as that would not have a key
combination to merely repeat the exact same words over and over.

I merely think that if people use it in a manner consistent with RP, it
would work and be appropriate.

> In the woods at least you might should because you actually need to be
> heard. In EQ /auction is plenty 'loud' enough to get your message
> accross the zone efficiently without using the emergency broadcast
> system.

But /auction would be an obviously inappropriate channel for something
that has nothing at all to do with any sort of proposed transaction. Why
use a completely unrelated channel? Just because people don't like to
see red messages?

>> so to speak, so why use a channel created for out-
>> of-character communication?
>
> Agreed. Use /auction.

Again, that makes even less sense.

>> Is it just the harsh red color that bugs
>> people?
>
> /shout is red for important/emergency. It bugs people when other
> people think their slightest inconvience is a zonewide emergency.

I get that. My question is, are they possibly being a bit overly
sensitive? From a RP standpoint, wouldn't the shout channel be
appropriate in many scenarios where it is presently discouraged by many?

I'm also thinking about it from a game design standpoint. For player to
player communication, they've implemented /tell for person to person,
/say for person to all present company, and it only makes sense that
what follows is /shout for those outside of present company. Why would
they expect us to go out of character for that?

I think it all boils down to people's appropriate usage of the /shout
channel, not the channel's acceptible use scenarios. If people used it
without spamming and with more of an RP approach (so as to be less
disruptive to the game in general), I don't think there would be a
problem at all.

It just doesn't seem to me that it should be considered abuse of the
channel when it's used to communicate a game world message to those
outside of present company in a non-conversational manner. That's what a
shout is, right?

> Me, I've configured shout to be grey. I don't usually notice them.

As I would think one *should* if it bothered them. /shrug

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

In article <Xns968F6EC706EC5Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...

> But it is a shout. Your character is shouting out something to everyone.
> Who says it was designed to be some sort of emergency broadcast system?

The psychology of the colour red... dominance, excitement, urgency. On a
subconcious level seeing red literally increases your heart and
respiratory rate... we're hardwired to respond to it.

> I'm in full agreement that it shouldn't be overused, but I do disagree
> with some scenarios where some consider its use inappropriate.

If it hadn't been so grossly overused, your right, it would probably be
tolerated where it made some sense a bit more.

> What the heck does /auction have to do with someone, say, shouting out
> for assistance defeating a particular creature?

/shrug

Sounds like a solicitation to me.

If the creature was pounding on his ass at the very moment, I wouldn't
object to a shout at all. If your comfortably shopping in the plane of
knowledge, then your need of 'help' is a lot more abstract.

Just as a man running into a gunshop yelling HELP! CAN SOMEONE HELP ME
KILL THE WOLVES! I NEED BULLETS TO KILL THE WOLVES! suggests that there
is a pack of wolves on his tail... not that he's planning a hunting trip
for the weekend.

> The color red could merely be used to get your attention, not convey any
> sense of urgency - though with train notifications, for example, it
> would serve both purposes.

Red has psychology and wetware attached to it.

> Well, if I lived in the world of EQ where there were no phones and it
> was an accepted means of communicating with the masses where I had no
> one specific person I should contact, then yes.

Its an accepted means of communicating with a captive audience. You
don't walk into a restaruant and shout "HEY! WHERES THE BATHROOM?" just
because you can't see any staff, don't have any one in particular to
contact, and can reasonably expect any of the patrons to know the
answer. Even before phones this was highly unacceptable.

> I understand that you're saying it's *not* an accepted means of
> communicating. I'm just questioning why. From an RP standpoint, it
> doesn't seem to make sense.
>
> Of course, the example you cite there would only be particularly
> obnoxious due to the frequency and redundancy of the message.

I'll concede I obnoxious-ed it up a notch with repetition. But even so
if I were at a table in a tavern and some guy stepped in the door and
shouted out at the top of his lungs that he would like directions to the
bakery I'd still think it was highly obnoxious.

And for what its worth, the repetition is real. Most people shouting for
a KEI repeat... some not chaining their please, but every minute or so.

> But /auction would be an obviously inappropriate channel for something
> that has nothing at all to do with any sort of proposed transaction. Why
> use a completely unrelated channel? Just because people don't like to
> see red messages?

I've yet to see you posit an example where auction is actually
inappropriate. Offering or Solicting goods or services is hardly
inappropriate for /auction.

> >> so to speak, so why use a channel created for out-
> >> of-character communication?
> >
> > Agreed. Use /auction.
>
> Again, that makes even less sense.

"Get your peanuts HERE"... "Get your peanuts HERE"

You ever been to a ball game? Those guys are 'shouting'. But its on an
'auction' frequency. Its 'loud', but its not 'red'. Shout is louder than
Auction.

> >> Is it just the harsh red color that bugs
> >> people?
> >
> > /shout is red for important/emergency. It bugs people when other
> > people think their slightest inconvience is a zonewide emergency.
>
> I get that. My question is, are they possibly being a bit overly
> sensitive? From a RP standpoint, wouldn't the shout channel be
> appropriate in many scenarios where it is presently discouraged by many?

From an RP standpoint, how often would you feel the need to disturb an
entire city by shouting for basic services at the top of your lungs??

> I'm also thinking about it from a game design standpoint. For player to
> player communication, they've implemented /tell for person to person,
> /say for person to all present company, and it only makes sense that
> what follows is /shout for those outside of present company. Why would
> they expect us to go out of character for that?

How much do we really shout in the real world?

> I think it all boils down to people's appropriate usage of the /shout
> channel, not the channel's acceptible use scenarios. If people used it
> without spamming and with more of an RP approach (so as to be less
> disruptive to the game in general), I don't think there would be a
> problem at all.
>
> It just doesn't seem to me that it should be considered abuse of the
> channel when it's used to communicate a game world message to those
> outside of present company in a non-conversational manner. That's what a
> shout is, right?

In the real world, people -DON'T- feel compelled to send THAT many
messages outside of present company in a non-conversational manner.

When you are on the sidewalk looking for a particular merchants
establishment do you shout "WHERES THE BAKERY" at the top of your lungs,
and hope that somebody within earshot shouts back?? You'd likely ask
someone else nearby, or go into a store and ask the merchant.
(admittedly this last doesn't work too well in most EQ cities).

You should never hear WHERE DO I BUY COFFINS? shouted out in plane of
knowledge. Nobody behaves like that in real life. Even beggars use
say... they're never standing on the corners going "ANYONE SPARE SOME
CHANGE??" every couple minutes.

One final issue with /shout is that its equally loud at all points. In
the real world, you can't 'home' in on someone shouting and eventually
have a conversation. You don't generally stand in opposite corners of a
city shouting at each other (or worse right next to each other).

I'd like to see shouts get 'dimmer' the farther away you are. That'd be
pretty cool. :)
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 11, 2005 4:03:56 AM

> In article <Xns968F6EC706EC5Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>,
> Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>
>> But it is a shout. Your character is shouting out something to
>> everyone. Who says it was designed to be some sort of emergency
>> broadcast system?
>
> The psychology of the colour red... dominance, excitement, urgency. On
> a subconcious level seeing red literally increases your heart and
> respiratory rate... we're hardwired to respond to it.

Pfft. Seems like way more analysis than this situation warrants. Red
gets one's attention, just as would be expected of a shout.

>> I'm in full agreement that it shouldn't be overused, but I do
>> disagree with some scenarios where some consider its use
>> inappropriate.
>>

> If it hadn't been so grossly overused, your right, it would probably
> be tolerated where it made some sense a bit more.

Granted, my thinking that it's unduly protested does assume that people
would use it correctly, which is surely too much to ask.

>> What the heck does /auction have to do with someone, say, shouting
>> out for assistance defeating a particular creature?
>

> /shrug
>
> Sounds like a solicitation to me.
>
> If the creature was pounding on his ass at the very moment, I wouldn't
> object to a shout at all. If your comfortably shopping in the plane of
> knowledge, then your need of 'help' is a lot more abstract.
>
> Just as a man running into a gunshop yelling HELP! CAN SOMEONE HELP ME
> KILL THE WOLVES! I NEED BULLETS TO KILL THE WOLVES! suggests that
> there is a pack of wolves on his tail... not that he's planning a
> hunting trip for the weekend.

Sorry. I still cannot connect /auction with anything that doesn't
involve some sort of transaction. Using the /auction channel for
anything other than barter just seems silly.

>> The color red could merely be used to get your attention, not convey
>> any sense of urgency - though with train notifications, for example,
>> it would serve both purposes.
>
> Red has psychology and wetware attached to it.

That's just way too much read into it. Perhaps red isn't the most
appropriate color for an RP shout (it's debatable), but the idea of
using the /shout channel for such cummunication *is* most appropriate.
That's the part I have trouble resolving.

>> Well, if I lived in the world of EQ where there were no phones and it
>> was an accepted means of communicating with the masses where I had no
>> one specific person I should contact, then yes.
>
> Its an accepted means of communicating with a captive audience. You
> don't walk into a restaruant and shout "HEY! WHERES THE BATHROOM?"
> just because you can't see any staff, don't have any one in particular
> to contact, and can reasonably expect any of the patrons to know the
> answer. Even before phones this was highly unacceptable.

Of course you don't. However, real life scenarios don't exactly compare
too well with most EQ situations for any number of reasons.

>> I understand that you're saying it's *not* an accepted means of
>> communicating. I'm just questioning why. From an RP standpoint, it
>> doesn't seem to make sense.
>>
>> Of course, the example you cite there would only be particularly
>> obnoxious due to the frequency and redundancy of the message.
>
> I'll concede I obnoxious-ed it up a notch with repetition. But even so
> if I were at a table in a tavern and some guy stepped in the door and
> shouted out at the top of his lungs that he would like directions to
> the bakery I'd still think it was highly obnoxious.

Again, that usage would be inappropriate in either scenario. Bad
example.

> And for what its worth, the repetition is real. Most people shouting
> for a KEI repeat... some not chaining their please, but every minute
> or so.

Oh, I agree that it happens. That doesn't make it appropriate. The fact
that some would abuse the /shout channel doesn't make it wrong for
others to use it in a non-emergency.

>> But /auction would be an obviously inappropriate channel for
>> something that has nothing at all to do with any sort of proposed
>> transaction. Why use a completely unrelated channel? Just because
>> people don't like to see red messages?
>
> I've yet to see you posit an example where auction is actually
> inappropriate. Offering or Solicting goods or services is hardly
> inappropriate for /auction.

Like I said, /auction implies a transaction or bartering by it's very
definition. Seems pretty simple to me. You're the first person I've
every seen suggest using the /auction channel for anything else.

>> > Agreed. Use /auction.
>>
>> Again, that makes even less sense.
>
> "Get your peanuts HERE"... "Get your peanuts HERE"
>
> You ever been to a ball game? Those guys are 'shouting'. But its on an
> 'auction' frequency. Its 'loud', but its not 'red'. Shout is louder
> than Auction.

Right. They give you peanuts. You give them money. That's what /auction
is for.

>> > /shout is red for important/emergency. It bugs people when other
>> > people think their slightest inconvience is a zonewide emergency.
>>
>> I get that. My question is, are they possibly being a bit overly
>> sensitive? From a RP standpoint, wouldn't the shout channel be
>> appropriate in many scenarios where it is presently discouraged by
>> many?
>
> From an RP standpoint, how often would you feel the need to disturb an
> entire city by shouting for basic services at the top of your lungs??

Again, your comparison to real life scenarios is invalid. This is EQ. If
communicating with eveyone in the entire zone is to be considered wrong,
then people should not use /ooc or /auction either.

>> I'm also thinking about it from a game design standpoint. For player
>> to player communication, they've implemented /tell for person to
>> person, /say for person to all present company, and it only makes
>> sense that what follows is /shout for those outside of present
>> company. Why would they expect us to go out of character for that?
>
> How much do we really shout in the real world?

RL != EQ. Your comparison is invalid.

>> I think it all boils down to people's appropriate usage of the /shout
>> channel, not the channel's acceptible use scenarios. If people used
>> it without spamming and with more of an RP approach (so as to be less
>> disruptive to the game in general), I don't think there would be a
>> problem at all.
>>
>> It just doesn't seem to me that it should be considered abuse of the
>> channel when it's used to communicate a game world message to those
>> outside of present company in a non-conversational manner. That's
>> what a shout is, right?
>
> In the real world, people -DON'T- feel compelled to send THAT many
> messages outside of present company in a non-conversational manner.

RL != EQ. Your comparison is invalid.

> When you are on the sidewalk looking for a particular merchants
> establishment do you shout "WHERES THE BAKERY" at the top of your
> lungs, and hope that somebody within earshot shouts back?? You'd
> likely ask someone else nearby, or go into a store and ask the
> merchant. (admittedly this last doesn't work too well in most EQ
> cities).

RL != EQ. Your comparison is invalid.

> You should never hear WHERE DO I BUY COFFINS? shouted out in plane of
> knowledge. Nobody behaves like that in real life. Even beggars use
> say... they're never standing on the corners going "ANYONE SPARE SOME
> CHANGE??" every couple minutes.

RL != EQ. Your redundant comparison is invalid.

> One final issue with /shout is that its equally loud at all points. In
> the real world, you can't 'home' in on someone shouting and eventually
> have a conversation. You don't generally stand in opposite corners of
> a city shouting at each other (or worse right next to each other).

As I've mentioned, /shout should certainly not be used conversationally
in any case.

> I'd like to see shouts get 'dimmer' the farther away you are. That'd
> be pretty cool. :)

/agree

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

In article <Xns968FC1F4BE613Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>,
Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
>
> > In article <Xns968F6EC706EC5Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.199.17>,
> > Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
> >
> >> But it is a shout. Your character is shouting out something to
> >> everyone. Who says it was designed to be some sort of emergency
> >> broadcast system?
> >
> > The psychology of the colour red... dominance, excitement, urgency. On
> > a subconcious level seeing red literally increases your heart and
> > respiratory rate... we're hardwired to respond to it.
>
> Pfft. Seems like way more analysis than this situation warrants. Red
> gets one's attention, just as would be expected of a shout.

Yeah. But the point is it IS red. It sticks out.

The fact that its -red- is actually one of the main factors. If it was
just a mildly brighter green than auction I'd bet few people would
notice or care.

Red pushes peoples buttons.

> > "Get your peanuts HERE"... "Get your peanuts HERE"
> >
> > You ever been to a ball game? Those guys are 'shouting'. But its on an
> > 'auction' frequency. Its 'loud', but its not 'red'. Shout is louder
> > than Auction.
>
> Right. They give you peanuts. You give them money. That's what /auction
> is for.

Sign up for the UberNavy HERE! Sign up for the UberNavy HERE!
Only 4 years of your life! We provide the flagging! Must be over 16 (and
70th level)!

KEI by the rock! 5 for the price of 1! KEI by the rock!

Hard working loyal 65th level Rogue seeking companions. Likes romantic
midnight dragon slayings, and crawling around in dusty dungeons. Non
smokers only (I hate all the extra AFK downtime).

Get your temp, HERE. Get your temp, HERE.

Are you tired of complex dkp systems? Do you get crosseyed on never
ending raids? Come on down to familyguild beta! Those alphas have to
work much too hard. And you don't want to be unguilded like those semi-
moron gamma's...

Newbie looking for Buffs HERE! Newbie looking for Buffs HERE!

Seem like a pitch to me. Every last one of them. But apparently we
differ on the point. :)

> Of course you don't. However, real life scenarios don't exactly compare
> too well with most EQ situations for any number of reasons.

> RL != EQ. Your comparison is invalid.

Your right: /shouting in EQ is FAR FAR more annoying, and equally far
less necessary. So don't do it.

:p

Seriously though, how can you stipulate that there exists ANY scenario
where /shout is appropriate at all, without invoking some sort of RL
comparison?

Especially when taking into account that the /ooc and /auction channels
also exist, and are used by convention for all this chatter, further
perpetrating and even enabling the stigma that's been attached to /shout
and undermining any game mechanics rationale for using /shout.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 11, 2005 3:34:32 PM

<nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

> Seriously though, how can you stipulate that there exists ANY scenario
> where /shout is appropriate at all, without invoking some sort of RL
> comparison?
>
> Especially when taking into account that the /ooc and /auction channels
> also exist, and are used by convention for all this chatter, further
> perpetrating and even enabling the stigma that's been attached to /shout
> and undermining any game mechanics rationale for using /shout.

One of my pet peeves that I eventually decided to just ignore was people
using OOC for non-OOC stuff. I guess that makes me the anti-42. =)
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 11, 2005 6:51:40 PM

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in news:MPG.1d38d133e0bb173d989bd9
@shawnews.vf.shawcable.net:

> In article <Xns968DD1DA27FA1Rumbledorhotmailcom@204.127.204.17>,
> Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com says...
>
> Nope. We have a channel for that. /auction is where you -should- be
> requesting or offering goods and services, including rezzes, keis,
> ports, guilds, and groups.

Well, I'd disagree about /auction for looking for groups. Personally, I
don't really care what channel is used for LFG, but, /auction seems like
the wrong choice given what is available.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
July 12, 2005 10:03:05 AM

In article <slrndd57tb.76m.faned@wyld.qx.net>, faned@wyld.qx.net says...
> <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> > Seriously though, how can you stipulate that there exists ANY scenario
> > where /shout is appropriate at all, without invoking some sort of RL
> > comparison?
> >
> > Especially when taking into account that the /ooc and /auction channels
> > also exist, and are used by convention for all this chatter, further
> > perpetrating and even enabling the stigma that's been attached to /shout
> > and undermining any game mechanics rationale for using /shout.
>
> One of my pet peeves that I eventually decided to just ignore was people
> using OOC for non-OOC stuff. I guess that makes me the anti-42. =)

Maybe, we seem to take opposite sides often enough ;)

Here though, not really. I don't particularly care to see all the
chatter in /ooc either. I think its out of place in /ooc. But I don't
think it should be moved to /shout either. (Which is why I've been
flogging /auction for as much of it as possible...)

If I were in charge... I'd change /say to zonewide (and make it light
grey or green). I'd leave shout as is. And I'd add /whisper or
/sayquietly to do what /say does now.

So when you just want to talk to those within earshot its /whisper...
(or maybe /sayquietly) and general chatter is in /say, and when you need
to get in everyone's face /shout.
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 12:24:28 PM

All of the logic on guessing was thrown out the window when a ranger, in
my group of level 70's, asked me for a rez. You can't get much worse
than that.

Submitted by: Shifra
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 1:53:43 PM

<Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

> Yes,waste of time,I rarely die more then once in 18 hours,Divine res
> brings me up with 100% mana and no res effects.Plenty of mana
> to res others and even cast a MGB Virtue or Symbol.
> And I like my Chardok faction too,Chardok B being the only place
> where I can solo dark blue mobs with reasonable loot(research drops).
>
> Mheldur (unepicced) 66 Cleric

http://tinyurl.com/c5juw

I've already had this discussion. Saves typing. =)

If you are guildless, never do anything with more than a single group, and
have no intention of ever doing anything with more than a single group, you
aren't completely insane to not do your epic. Otherwise, you are. =P
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 7:57:07 PM

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

> <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> Yes,waste of time,I rarely die more then once in 18 hours,Divine res
>> brings me up with 100% mana and no res effects.Plenty of mana
>> to res others and even cast a MGB Virtue or Symbol.
>> And I like my Chardok faction too,Chardok B being the only place
>> where I can solo dark blue mobs with reasonable loot(research drops).
>>
>> Mheldur (unepicced) 66 Cleric
>
> http://tinyurl.com/c5juw
>
> I've already had this discussion. Saves typing. =)
>
> If you are guildless, never do anything with more than a single group,
> and have no intention of ever doing anything with more than a single
> group, you aren't completely insane to not do your epic. Otherwise,
> you are. =P

Must be something wrong, I am agreeing with you far too much lately. :b

If you are in a guild, and the guild raids, then your guild should be
heavily encouraging you to get that epic 1.0, not to mention, they should
be helping you get it. It is such a huge timesaver for recovering from
wipes.

As far as faction issues, you can work around that if you are not really
needed for healing on the fight in Chardok. Just die, get dragged, get
rezzed in when the fight is over and loot up.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 7:57:08 PM

<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
>
> > <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes,waste of time,I rarely die more then once in 18 hours,Divine res
> >> brings me up with 100% mana and no res effects.Plenty of mana
> >> to res others and even cast a MGB Virtue or Symbol.
> >> And I like my Chardok faction too,Chardok B being the only place
> >> where I can solo dark blue mobs with reasonable loot(research drops).
> >>
> >> Mheldur (unepicced) 66 Cleric
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/c5juw
> >
> > I've already had this discussion. Saves typing. =)
> >
> > If you are guildless, never do anything with more than a single group,
> > and have no intention of ever doing anything with more than a single
> > group, you aren't completely insane to not do your epic. Otherwise,
> > you are. =P
>
> Must be something wrong, I am agreeing with you far too much lately. :b

Just wait, the radical Faned posts will show back up eventually, with the
proper stimulation. =)
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 10:51:46 PM

On 29 Jul 2005 15:57:07 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
>
>> <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes,waste of time,I rarely die more then once in 18 hours,Divine res
>>> brings me up with 100% mana and no res effects.Plenty of mana
>>> to res others and even cast a MGB Virtue or Symbol.
>>> And I like my Chardok faction too,Chardok B being the only place
>>> where I can solo dark blue mobs with reasonable loot(research drops).
>>>
>>> Mheldur (unepicced) 66 Cleric
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/c5juw
>>
>> I've already had this discussion. Saves typing. =)
>>
>> If you are guildless, never do anything with more than a single group,
>> and have no intention of ever doing anything with more than a single
>> group, you aren't completely insane to not do your epic. Otherwise,
>> you are. =P
>
>Must be something wrong, I am agreeing with you far too much lately. :b
>
>If you are in a guild, and the guild raids, then your guild should be
>heavily encouraging you to get that epic 1.0, not to mention, they should
>be helping you get it. It is such a huge timesaver for recovering from
>wipes.

It is a huge time sink for the pitiful Cleric.
And it isnt a "huge" timesaver,600 mana is nothing today,especially on
a raid with lots of classes which have buffs which help in one way or
the other to regain mana.
Talking about wipes,doing the PoP progression lately up to being
elemental flagged,we wiped exactly twice on all the raids,and this was
on RZ,cleric epic wouldnt have made any difference in this case.

>As far as faction issues, you can work around that if you are not really
>needed for healing on the fight in Chardok. Just die, get dragged, get
>rezzed in when the fight is over and loot up.

Not my style.

Mhledur 66 cleric
Anonymous
a b α HP
July 29, 2005 10:51:47 PM

<Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2005 15:57:07 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in

> >> http://tinyurl.com/c5juw
> >>
> >> I've already had this discussion. Saves typing. =)
> >>
> >> If you are guildless, never do anything with more than a single group,
> >> and have no intention of ever doing anything with more than a single
> >> group, you aren't completely insane to not do your epic. Otherwise,
> >> you are. =P
> >
> >Must be something wrong, I am agreeing with you far too much lately. :b
> >
> >If you are in a guild, and the guild raids, then your guild should be
> >heavily encouraging you to get that epic 1.0, not to mention, they should
> >be helping you get it. It is such a huge timesaver for recovering from
> >wipes.
>
> It is a huge time sink for the pitiful Cleric.

Read that link. Back when I was 65 I did it, mostly "solo" (2-boxing,
cleric was there to loot obviously), in less than two weeks, without giving
up my regular raiding schedule. As far as time sinks go in this game, it's
on the minor end of the spectrum.

> And it isnt a "huge" timesaver,600 mana is nothing today,especially on
> a raid with lots of classes which have buffs which help in one way or
> the other to regain mana.
> Talking about wipes,doing the PoP progression lately up to being
> elemental flagged,we wiped exactly twice on all the raids,and this was
> on RZ,cleric epic wouldnt have made any difference in this case.

Nobody got rezzed? Otherwise, cleric epic would have made a difference.
I'm guessing it *did* make a difference, it was just one of the other
clerics who was holding it. =)

> >As far as faction issues, you can work around that if you are not really
> >needed for healing on the fight in Chardok. Just die, get dragged, get
> >rezzed in when the fight is over and loot up.
>
> Not my style.

Clerics essentially aren't needed for Chardok at the 65+ range. Avoiding
unnecessary faction hits shouldn't be difficult. One faction hit from the
king won't turn you KOS.