Sign in with
Your question

Games from the '90s

Last response: in Video Games
September 6, 2012 10:27:53 PM

We all know Doom, Deus Ex, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Quake, AoE, etc.... But I'm looking into checking out other games, that aren't know that well, since I'm using an old PC atm.

Any recommendations? I'm gonna be using it for a while, so the more the better. :D 

P.S. I'm up for *really* old games, so would be cool if we wouldn't step outside of the 90s.

More about : games 90s

September 6, 2012 10:45:50 PM

The original starcraft sorry no idea what year it is.
September 6, 2012 11:22:40 PM

Oh yea, I've spend lots of time playing it, I don't think I'd like to get back to it. It's a well known game. :) 
Related resources
September 6, 2012 11:40:15 PM

Hi :) 

Half Life 1 from 1998....

All the best Brett :) 
September 6, 2012 11:45:14 PM

Hi! Completed Half Life twice or trice when I was younger. ;) 
September 7, 2012 12:11:29 AM

newn said:
Hi! Completed Half Life twice or trice when I was younger. ;) 

You can still play multiplayer of HL1 online...i have played it since 98 lol and still do :) 

September 7, 2012 1:16:56 AM

Oh, I haven't played much multiplayer, I didn't have internet at the time I was playing it. ;)  However I want singleplayer games at the moment.
September 7, 2012 1:34:07 AM

How about SERIOUS SAM 1 ..a really funny fps..

September 7, 2012 1:40:27 AM

Actually I've completed it twice a couple years ago and once about a month ago. :)  Great shooter. By the way, same story with Serious Sam: TSE. ;) 
September 7, 2012 1:14:16 PM

How about XCOM? or Tie-Fighter? or System Shock 2?
September 7, 2012 1:25:16 PM

X-Com and System Shock 2 - played those two quite lot.

Tie-Fighter - never heard of it before, but I've played a lot of X3 before my PC broke down, so I'm not up for a space-fighter shooter.
September 7, 2012 1:29:07 PM

what about the Thief games? Lemmings? Syndicate?
September 7, 2012 1:43:59 PM

Space Quest 2, 3 and 4 (Sierra)
Dangerous Dave
Dizzy (Egg?)
Descent
Ballistix
Infestation
Carmageddon
Pod
Hero's Quest (Sierra)
Chopper
Camalot (Sierra, monochrome!)

Those are all the games I used to play as a kid / young teenager! All played on a Am386 DX40 so whatever you have should be ok with that lot.
September 8, 2012 1:51:28 AM

Have played Thief a lot back in the day; played Lemmings a couple months ago; played Syndicate a lot back in the day. :) 

I remember Space Quest being not my kind of game
Checking out Dangerous Dave, Dizzy, Descent, Infestation, Pod
Ballistix is an Amiga game
Carmageddon - spend a lot of hours playing that one!
Chopper - couldn't find definitive game
Hero's Quest and Camelot - I don't feel up for a game like that, though they both look awesome. Haven't heard of them before!

Thanks! And don't hesitate to add more to the list if you suddenly remember a good title!
September 8, 2012 3:11:15 AM

Diablo 2
Starcraft
Halflife 1
Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Some games that killed many hours of my life in the '90s
September 8, 2012 11:09:54 AM

Countless hours playing Diablo 2 and C&C. :) 

Starcraft, HL1 were already mentioned.
September 8, 2012 12:07:18 PM

RECOIL <-- awesome game
September 8, 2012 12:17:56 PM

The Feeble Files - Point 'n' Click alien space game. Main character is voiced by the guy who did Kryten in Red Dwarf.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - Unnerving game about a super computer that has become so advanced, that it has gained sentience. It has a hatred for humanity, and has kept the last four humans alive for hundreds of years so it can torture them.

Daggerfall - Ol' Elder Scrolls game. Really wish I could get it working on my compy :s

Arena - The game that came before Daggerfall.

Tonic Trouble - Light hearted game. Is alright to waste some time on.

Tomb Raider 1 - I lurv the crummy textures. Got that awesome retro feel about it.
September 8, 2012 12:47:02 PM

BoiledMouse said:
Total Annihilation - there's some great mods for it as well

http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39834

Awesome game. If you like RTS, it's hard to beat and imo it's aged far better than most of its contemporaries.

Here's a few of my favourites that haven't been mentioned-

Sim City (various)

Settlers (various)

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Transport Tycoon (Available free now as Open TTD)

Warcraft

Birth of the Federation

Alien Versus Predator

Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle

Monkey Island (various)

Heroes of Might and Magic 2+3

Worms (various, but Armageddon rocks)

Commandos

GTA 1,2 and London
September 8, 2012 2:37:45 PM

Total Annihilation, The Feeble Files, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream and Recoil - played those a lot back in the day. :) 

Daggerfall, Tomb Raider 1 and Arena - played them recently, real nice games!

I'm gonna check out Tonic Trouble, seems like a nice platformer to waste some time on, as you said. :) 

Played Settlers, Warcraft, Transport Tycoon (ohhhh, my favorite Tycoon game!), Rollercoaster Tycoon Aliens Versus Predator, Commandos, GTA, Worms, Heroes of Might and Magic (especially 3), Monkey Island, Birth of The Federation.

Wow, when I think about it, I've played a lot of games!

I think I disliked Day of The Tentacle and Full Throttle.
September 8, 2012 3:18:04 PM

Fallout
Fallout 2
Lost Vikings
One Must Fall
Monkey Island 1-3
Star Trek Armada 1-2 (with mods)
Master of Orion 1-2
Ascendancy
Civilization
Colonization
Sim City 2000
Unreal Tournament (multiplayer was a lot of fun)
September 8, 2012 7:55:08 PM

Dark Forces (star wars without the Jedi crap, introduced alot of new things to the FPS genre)

Full Throttle (cheesey but great)

Rise of the Triad (Loved this one)

Hidden & Dangerous

Operation Flashpoint : Cold War Crisis (now called ARMA cold war assault... 2001 i know but a classic still)

Redneck Rampage (Again cheese but good cheese)
September 9, 2012 2:27:57 AM

Fallout - amazing games! Played them a lot, especially Fallout 2!

Sim City - great game as well, first one of this kind to me, followed by Colonization. Civilization - 1-5, unfortunately 5 was running on 10FPS or so, so I didn't play much of it.

Star Trek & Star Wars - nice series, played them a lot.

Operation Flashpoint : Cold War Crisis - are you sure it's renamed to ARMA? Dragon Rising was released recently, although it isn't as good as Cold War Crisis in my opinion. That was a hard game, but I loved it!

I didn't like Lost Vikings, as you had more than one character. I rarely like games with more than one character to control in, I prefer focusing on one.

One Must Fall - wasn't my kind of game.

Master of Orion 1-2 - one of the best games of this genre, a lot of time wasted on this one.

Ascendancy - never heard of it, but looks pretty cool. I'm gonna check it out, but I doubt I'll play it for long, I don't think I'm up for it.

Rise of the Triad - Now that's a cool game! Played it quite a lot.

Hidden & Dangerous - I didn't like it for some reason, can't remember it, but I know that it was a good one.

Redneck Rampage - Pretty cool shooter, though I don't feel like playing it again, even after many years...
September 9, 2012 7:53:57 AM

Op Flashpoint Coldwar Crisis is now renamed to ARMA Cold War Assault it was made by Bohemia Interactive and published by codemasters, after that game the partnership fell apart codemasters kept the name "Operation Flashpoint" while Bohemia had the game, engine and all the other IP, Bohemia went on to make the other ARMA games (accurate mil-sims ARMA II, ARMA OP Arrowhead + numerous DLC's and Mods) while Codemasters went on to produce further titles under the "flashpoint"name but they were not really proper mil-sims like the original they took a more arcade direction.

I think you can pick up ARMA Cold War Assault on Steam for pocket change nowdays its still a good game I still have my original Flashpoint Coldwar Crisis (CD-ROM) and all expansions the resistance expansion is particularly good (I believe the Steam version includes all expansions)

Hidden and Dangerous had clumsy feeling controls thats why many got put off but it was a good game.
September 9, 2012 11:54:21 AM

Ah! I will definitely check out ARMA in the future then! I had no idea about this, I don't follow the news much. Apparently I should. :) 
September 10, 2012 7:00:16 PM

Mario. :D  I played it so many times in my childhood. Even it's expansions like Super Mario 3D etc. are also very good.
September 10, 2012 11:30:24 PM

Heh, that's a great game, one of he most played games for me. :) 
December 28, 2012 4:18:42 PM

How can Atomic Bomberman be missing from this list of games????!
It was sooo addicting! It could be played over LAN (which was not as reliabled as LAN games today but it worked). I am surprised to see such genre of game missing nowadays. I keep an old laptop with with XP just so I can run this game for my little one. Seriously, only my son plays it now ;) 

Other games I played that are not mentioned here are (in order for preference):

Airduel: 80 Years of Aerial Warfare (1993)
Run missions or just simply battle

Motorhead (1998)
Not too bad. Satiated my racing sim hunger before Gran Turismo series

Spear of Destiny (1992)
Prequel to Wolfenstein 3D
December 28, 2012 5:47:02 PM

Xcom: UFO Defense
Police Quest 1 and 2
Ultima VII

Go check out gog.com. Great place for old games.

!