ATHLON 1800+ @problem

DRKLABS

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
m/b asus a7v266-e bios 1010 final athlon 1800+
please i need a help .I tried to connect the L1 bridges
with arctic silver 3.The paste entered to the laser cut gaps and then i tried with a metal pin to scratch it out from the laser cut gaps .I cleaned then everything and from the gaps now appearing copper or something gold , i dont know what is this matterial.So i tried to install the cpu again but it doesnt start.On I-panel from asus board appears the indication C1.What can i do in such a case ? Please help me somebody, how stupid i was...

DRKLABS

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Artic Silver is thermal conductor. It DOES NOT conduct electricity. To connect the bridges you need a conductive pen (rear defog repair kit)

Try cleaning everything with some paper and then with acetone.
Why in hell you didn't ask before to do the unlocking????

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

DRKLABS

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
the problem is that after i scrached the laser cut gaps with a pin and copper came out and is visible now, trying to clean the arctic silver from inside the gaps ,then i tried to fill in the laser cut gaps in L1 with super glue
and then when i tried to cut out the extra glue it took off all the super glue and the copper is still visible
After all this tragedy i tried to start the athlon and nothing , it doesnt start at all.
Still i didnt tried to clear it up with acetone cause i didnt find any , but i promise when i find acetone i 'll try to clean and check it again .
The problem is ,is there anyway to save this cpu or not?
Is there anybody with the same expirience and it worked?Please any help appreciated...or is there otherway to check if the cpu is ok and this is only grounding problem with the copper or something?

DRKLABS

Smokey

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2002
Dude, deep breath...relax! I feel your pain, and can tell you (hopefully) that your CPU is still ok. When I was unlocking mine, my razor exposed some of the internal copper also. If you do still want to have the CPU unlocked, then it must be covered with something non-conductive so as not to touchy your silver connections (internal resistance in the copper). If you're scared and just want your CPU to work, spend a buck on the acetone and rub the shite outta the area affected (not too rough, but firm). After you clean all your work, let the CPU chill for a couple of minutes (let the acetone all evaporate). If the leaf is really exposed, and you're worried, just put some scotch tape over your cuts.

After you do this, apply your THIN coat of AC and reapply the HS. If you don't correctly put the HS on, or use too much AC, your Athlon might not boot (happened to my best friend). I took off his HS, took 2/3 of the AC he used off (you should use 1/2 of a grain of rice worth, NO MORE!!!) with a credit card and it booted. It's always scary when your PC won't boot, but in this case I think you're fine. Lemme know, good luck.

Life's a hole...dig it. - Joe Dirt

DRKLABS

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Thanks SMOKEY , your good words took from me all of the stress that i was exposed to.Can you explain me please if acetone is this liquid that girls use for takin off the nail vernice color? Sorry to ask that but i thought it was better to ask this time before entering into a new tragedy...If this is the acetone i 'll go now to a shop to bye one bottle and i ' ll tell you the results of the experiment...

DRKLABS

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
What women use to remove fingernail polish is...Fingernail polish remover! It works just like acetone and is not as toxic. I believe it would also be much less expensive.

One suggestion I could give you is once you have a bottle of the polish remover, put your CPU in a dish or bowl and pour enough polish remover to completeley submerge the chip. Then use an old tooth brush to scrub out the laser locks. To fill them in, use 2-part epoxy. As it is drying, it will be much easier to use a razor to GENTLY scrape off the excess and leave the laser cuts filled flush with the surface of the substrate material that makes up the bulk of the chip (the green or brown colored plastic-like material).

Then test to see if your CPU boots up. If it does, then you are good to go with using a conductive pen or rear defog repair paint to close the L1 bridges.

I sure wish Tom would re-edit that damn How-To Guide and change the non-conductive material to 2-part epoxy instead of Superglue. The epoxy is so much easier to work with and one wouldn't have to worry about using extra force to cut through hardened superglue and increase the risk of cutting one's self or cutting into the CPU.

GearJammer
<i><font color=blue>It takes 10 'Attaboys' to make up for 1 'Awww...crap!'</font color=blue></i>

DRKLABS

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
Thanks a lot GEARJAMMER i have in my hands now at this moment the nail polish remover and as i seen it contains
ACETON ,AQUA ,PEG 60 LANOLIN ,PARFUM ,[+/`CI16185]

and i 'll try to use it to clean the cpu , i hope this is not another mistake , so if gets boot i dont care any more to unlock it.I'll try to explain to all of you if this trick worked...

DRKLABS

DRKLABS

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
yes,yes,yes my athlon 1800+ xp is working again
Thanks to all of you that helped me , i used the nail polish remover with aceton that i mentioned above and cleaned the L1 Bridges and now the cpu is booting normally.
A big thanks to all of you...
Still i have to mention that athlon is a very strong chip and after all this damage that i exposed it , still with a little cleaning it works again without any problem , so if sometimes after some experiments your athlons dont boot dont think immediatly that the chip is burned and through it to the garbage , but try to find a solution and ask some other people more experienced.I'm sure theres a solution for every trouble...Thanks again

DRKLABS

GearJammer2513

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2002
Suhweeeeeeet! Give yourself some time to get rid of the "I fried my CPU" jitters. Once you feel like you've read enough about unlocking the CPU (from other sites, not just THG) then give it a try again. Just follow my advice about substituting superglue with 2-part epoxy.

Go buy some and mix up a little bit then play with it as it dries. Use a toothpick and get the feel on how easy it is to apply it, then as it starts to set up use a razor blade to see how easy it is to cut it when it's soft (not quite set up all the way). After you get the feel for it, then you'll be ready to use it on your CPU. Believe me, superglue may be good for unlocking in a short amount of time, but the epoxy will allow for more precision in removal of excess.

Again, it's good to hear that your CPU is still alive and kickin'!

GearJammer
<i><font color=blue>It takes 10 'Attaboys' to make up for 1 'Awww...crap!'</font color=blue></i>