Is the Swiftech MCX4000 too heavy?

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Just a little while Swiftech released their new heatsink with a total of 429 pins vs. 371 pins in their previous models. The size of the heatsink is even larger also causing the weight to increase.

So I'm wondering if 600grams is too heavy for a P4?

and would it be okay to move your PC around the house with that heatsink?

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Intel specifies 180 grams. That should be fine with the attachment method they use. (Screws to the motherboard.) That is still a lot of weight. The design is good. The larger surface area allows it cool better with a lower CFM fan. The Y.S. is an new design as well. The motor is at the edge and the blade are in the middle. <A HREF="http://www.ystech.com.tw/Tmd/tmd-0.htm" target="_new">See it here</A>.

Again, use it at your own risk.

<b>"Sometimes you can't hear me because I'm talking in parenthesis" - Steven Wright</b> :lol:

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
I see. Well would it ever be possible for the heatsink to tear my motherboard and break? I mean 180 compared to 600 is already 3 times the amount of weight.

Yes I've seen the new Y.S. TMD fans but although the blade is in the middle they still seem to generate more noise then pushing out CFM in the specs.. and I prefferably like my system to be quiet so I don't really see any performance advantages with them...

What do you think of the new YS tech TMD fans?

barureddy

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I'm hoping it will increase the cooling on my p4 with the alpha heatsink. I'm wondering though when will the 80mm models come out?

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure when the 80mm fans will come out but I can tell you right now that the TMD fans to me in my opinion don't seem to have any special performance...

If you get a Panasonic (Panaflo) fan it will generate and push a lot more CFMs at a much lower noise level (dbA).
In my point of view I think the Panaflo fans have the best ratio of performance and noise level.

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Not sure when the 80mm fans will come out but I can tell you right now that the TMD fans to me in my opinion don't seem to have any special performance...

If you get a Panasonic (Panaflo) fan it will generate and push a lot more CFMs at a much lower noise level (dbA).
In my point of view I think the Panaflo fans have the best ratio of performance and noise level.