Fax Problem

I have sent numerous faxes, but today, I was unable to send. I have checked
all my settings, the faxes are there in "pending" status, but nothing is
being sent. I have not made any changes to my system. HELP!!
--
Sharon
7 answers Last reply

    You must provide at least some information.
    Not even the fax program just stops working at random for no reason.
    You were there. We weren't.
    Think.
    Something changed.
    Overlook nothing--like is your modem plugged in?
    Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and what
    happens as a bare minimum when you repost.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have sent numerous faxes, but today, I was unable to send. I have
    >checked
    > all my settings, the faxes are there in "pending" status, but nothing is
    > being sent. I have not made any changes to my system. HELP!!
    > --
    > Sharon

    llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my hardware
    profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem is:
    GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It was
    working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I don't
    know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that will
    help you help me? THANKS!

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You must provide at least some information.
    > Not even the fax program just stops working at random for no reason.
    > You were there. We weren't.
    > Think.
    > Something changed.
    > Overlook nothing--like is your modem plugged in?
    > Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and what
    > happens as a bare minimum when you repost.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have sent numerous faxes, but today, I was unable to send. I have
    > >checked
    > > all my settings, the faxes are there in "pending" status, but nothing is
    > > being sent. I have not made any changes to my system. HELP!!
    > > --
    > > Sharon

    Nothing yet.
    Please answer the rest of my questions.
    "Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and what
    happens, including error messages, sounds and Event viewer."
    --
    > llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my
    > hardware
    > profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem
    > is:
    > GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It was
    > working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I don't
    > know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that
    > will
    > help you help me? THANKS!
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> You must provide at least some information.
    >> Not even the fax program just stops working at random for no reason.
    >> You were there. We weren't.
    >> Think.
    >> Something changed.
    >> Overlook nothing--like is your modem plugged in?
    >> Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and
    >> what
    >> happens as a bare minimum when you repost.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have sent numerous faxes, but today, I was unable to send. I have
    >> >checked
    >> > all my settings, the faxes are there in "pending" status, but nothing
    >> > is
    >> > being sent. I have not made any changes to my system. HELP!!
    >> > --
    >> > Sharon

    Russ, a Restore before she did the Defrag will probably solve her problem.
    Some files have been moved and her fax app may be in limbo.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Nothing yet.
    > Please answer the rest of my questions.
    > "Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and what
    > happens, including error messages, sounds and Event viewer."
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my
    > > hardware
    > > profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem
    > > is:
    > > GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It was
    > > working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I don't
    > > know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that
    > > will
    > > help you help me? THANKS!
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You must provide at least some information.
    > >> Not even the fax program just stops working at random for no reason.
    > >> You were there. We weren't.
    > >> Think.
    > >> Something changed.
    > >> Overlook nothing--like is your modem plugged in?
    > >> Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and
    > >> what
    > >> happens as a bare minimum when you repost.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Thank you so much for all your help. This morning I received notification
    that my fax was sent successfully. So, they received all four of my
    attempts. I probably should have mentioned that I was trying to fax to a
    long distance number. All the other faxes were to local numbers. I still
    would like to know why that would make a difference and why it took so long
    to accomplish. I entered to number the same way all four times: 18882802408.
    Could the fact that it was long distance make a difference. Again, thank
    you so much for your efforts.

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > Nothing yet.
    > Please answer the rest of my questions.
    > "Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and what
    > happens, including error messages, sounds and Event viewer."
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my
    > > hardware
    > > profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem
    > > is:
    > > GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It was
    > > working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I don't
    > > know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that
    > > will
    > > help you help me? THANKS!
    > >
    > > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You must provide at least some information.
    > >> Not even the fax program just stops working at random for no reason.
    > >> You were there. We weren't.
    > >> Think.
    > >> Something changed.
    > >> Overlook nothing--like is your modem plugged in?
    > >> Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and
    > >> what
    > >> happens as a bare minimum when you repost.
    > >> --
    > >> Russ Valentine
    > >> [MVP-Outlook]
    > >> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Never have I seen Defrag disable the fax program.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Russ, a Restore before she did the Defrag will probably solve her problem.
    > Some files have been moved and her fax app may be in limbo.
    >

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing yet.
    >> Please answer the rest of my questions.
    >> "Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and
    >> what
    >> happens, including error messages, sounds and Event viewer."
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my
    >> > hardware
    >> > profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem
    >> > is:
    >> > GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It
    >> > was
    >> > working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I
    >> > don't
    >> > know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that
    >> > will
    >> > help you help me? THANKS!

    Absolutely. The fax program is very finicky when it comes to processing
    dialing rules.
    Like all of its predecessors, the Windows XP Fax service will not process
    dialing rules unless the phone number to which you are sending the fax is in
    "international format." Details on how to use international format to invoke
    dialing rules are available here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q318575
    --

    > Thank you so much for all your help. This morning I received notification
    > that my fax was sent successfully. So, they received all four of my
    > attempts. I probably should have mentioned that I was trying to fax to a
    > long distance number. All the other faxes were to local numbers. I still
    > would like to know why that would make a difference and why it took so
    > long
    > to accomplish. I entered to number the same way all four times:
    > 18882802408.
    > Could the fact that it was long distance make a difference. Again, thank
    > you so much for your efforts.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing yet.
    >> Please answer the rest of my questions.
    >> "Make sure you include your fax software, steps used to send faxes and
    >> what
    >> happens, including error messages, sounds and Event viewer."
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > llO.K. I have checked that the modem is plugged in. I checked my
    >> > hardware
    >> > profile to make sure it is enabled. The phone line is fine. The modem
    >> > is:
    >> > GTWV.92 attached to COM 3 that came pre-installed on my computer. It
    >> > was
    >> > working fine last week. The only thing I have done is a defrag. I
    >> > don't
    >> > know enough to mess with anything else. What else can I tell you that
    >> > will
    >> > help you help me? THANKS!

Fax Microsoft Windows XP