Installing HP 960c in Win XP Home Via Parallel Port

I'm upgrading my Dell Dimension 8100 with a new hard disk and I'm doing a
clean install of Windows XP Home w/SP2 (upgrading from Win Me). I have an HP
960c Deskjet printer that I would like to reinstall via the computer's
parallel port after I install Windows XP and get it up and running.

Hewlett-Packard has a full-featured driver for the HP 960c that I would like
to download and install rather than the version Windows XP may have available
for the printer.

My question: What is the proper sequence of steps to follow (i.e., when
should the printer be hooked up and connected to the parallel port, Windows
restarted, the HP driver installed, etc.) to properly install the printer
from HP's XP driver?

Thanks for any advice,

Joe D.

--
Wherever you go in this world, there you are! Your luggage is another
story...

Install software before connecting printer. Software should tell you when
to connect.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Joe D." <JoeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading my Dell Dimension 8100 with a new hard disk and I'm doing a
> clean install of Windows XP Home w/SP2 (upgrading from Win Me). I have an
> HP
> 960c Deskjet printer that I would like to reinstall via the computer's
> parallel port after I install Windows XP and get it up and running.
>
> Hewlett-Packard has a full-featured driver for the HP 960c that I would
> like
> to download and install rather than the version Windows XP may have
> available
> for the printer.
>
> My question: What is the proper sequence of steps to follow (i.e., when
> should the printer be hooked up and connected to the parallel port,
> Windows
> restarted, the HP driver installed, etc.) to properly install the printer
> from HP's XP driver?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Joe D.
>
> --
> Wherever you go in this world, there you are! Your luggage is another
> story...

Thanks for the quick response Cari. JAD