Onboard Printer Drivers

I have XP Pro and thought that XP by default installed many drivers...

Well I travel a lot, and don't care to carry my printer everywhere, but
occasionally need to print a document for a client. To do this, I would like
to just connect their printer to my laptop and print.

Is there a way to do this?

In the old days, I was able to installed a basic HP or Epson driver since
most printers emulated these... today's ink jet and laser jet printers I have
found to be more picky.

THX for any help

Byte

WinXP has an extensive DLL (Dynamic Link Library) of drivers for the most
popular printers in use. The only way you're going to find out if you can use
the specific printer is to connect it and see if XP's plug&play feature
activates it without using installation CDs.
BTW: You know they also make portable printers?

"kmb" wrote:

> I have XP Pro and thought that XP by default installed many drivers...
>
> Well I travel a lot, and don't care to carry my printer everywhere, but
> occasionally need to print a document for a client. To do this, I would like
> to just connect their printer to my laptop and print.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
>
> In the old days, I was able to installed a basic HP or Epson driver since
> most printers emulated these... today's ink jet and laser jet printers I have
> found to be more picky.
>
> THX for any help

The most generic driver is the XP built in driver for the HP Deskjet 500.

However XP has plenty of other printer drivers built in:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293360
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293378
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293380
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293381