Help regarding Gainward GF4 Ti4600 overclocking

Hyperblade

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
In the review of multiple GF4 cards at Toms Hardware it said for the Gainward card,
"Gainward guarantees an especially high overclocking potential. Unfortunately, this once again turned out to be nothing more than simple software overclocking through the EXPERTool display utility."

Im no expert in overclocking but is that simple software overclocking still overclocking the card or is there a true way for overclocking.

buddry

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
You have to use some type of software to overclock the card. Experttool should be good enough for your needs.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=white>bless</font color=white> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
I use and recommend RivaTuner. You download it, install and it has simple tabs and menus to turn on and off extra features of your particular nVidia card you're using, as well it allows for you to set the clock for the GPU and memory. It tests the settings before setting it which helps you to prevent going too high! http://guru3d.com/rivatuner/ - to learn more about it and to download if you wish!

10Mhz8086

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Interms of overclocking Expertool is all you need, all programs overclock the same way. There isn't any difference in the way a program overclocks a card. Plus the ExperTool will provide you with an easy way to keep your Video BIOS/Drivers/Expertool up to date.

I have a 128M Ti4200 and the max OC I've been able to get is 330/560.

Who ever made up the phrase, "If it aint broke why fix it" just didn't get it...

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
just got a gainward geforce 4 ti4200 ultra 650. for some reason it only has one vga port on the back and nothing else??? thought all the gainward cards had dvi outs and s video out/ins????

anyways my real question is whether to use the drivers that gainward uses, or use nvidias latest detonator xp drivers.... which will give me better performance?

ps. the maximum I can overclock it to is 294/574... that's about average I think.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
No some, like the one coming via sh!tty UPS have CRT, DVI and TV-out. Some are cheaper models with monitor out only, some are premo with all the options like the one I got because I sometimes watch downloaded movies on my TV.

"Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one"

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
use the detenators and if you want the leaked drivers then I have an awesome website for you: www.entcity.com I think their latest version is the detenator 5 version 30.30 and it has been confirmed as the official driver I am running it right now and I have to tell you it increased my frames quite a bit from version 29.42 definatly go with these!

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
if I use the detonator drivers, will I still be able to use the software utility that came with the board to overclock it? or will i have to use powerstrip or some other one?

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
you should still be able to use those utilities... myabe not tho. look around the internet for a utility called GTU geforce tweak utility. It kicks some serious @$$ you can up the level of antistrophy and even use new fsaa settings that nvidia doesnt officialy support. With my overclocked geforce 3 ti 200 128mb card I got up to 4x4 fsaa! and it looks frickin sweet! and it runs smooth too. your ti 4200 should beat the hell out of that tho get that utility and you can overclock with it and everything.

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!

bigpoppapumpg

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
thanks for that link, I installed the 30.30 detonator drivers and my 3d mark 2001 se score at standard video settings went from 8787 to 9036... not to shabby!