So just how hard is Dark Souls?

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
So reading reviews this game gets a lot of praise. I'm tempted to check it out at some point. However I hear it's supposed to be very hard. Now I like a challenge but just how hard is it? I don't like it when games get to the point of just pure frustration that you end up looking up how to progress in walkthroughs constantly.

Am I over-reacting or is it one of the hardest games out there? Cheers.

Solution

It is difficult, yes, but I think where it contrasts with most games is that it doesn't really hold your hand at all. It gives you an objective, theres usually a few different ways to complete your task and its up to you to figure it out. The combat requires a lot more attention than most hack n slash games, like you have to watch the...

miken2137

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012

It is difficult, yes, but I think where it contrasts with most games is that it doesn't really hold your hand at all. It gives you an objective, theres usually a few different ways to complete your task and its up to you to figure it out. The combat requires a lot more attention than most hack n slash games, like you have to watch the enemy pretty closely to see when they attack so you can block/roll/parry and get in your own attacks. It's not like god of war or something where you just smash the attack button and kill everything in sight. It takes strategy and planning to win.

The difficulty vs reward pays off so well, you really feel like a badass as you get better and defeat more and more monsters. There are parts that make me pull my hair out, but it's usually just me not paying attention or not being patient.

And I'm not trying to pimp my ***, but I'm doing a Lets Play of the game, if you wanna check out a few videos to see how hard it is. I'm not super serious about anything, so you can see me get my ass kicked a few times(a lot of times, really). http://bit.ly/P1F04l

Solution

SnyperNynja

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Oh man, I have never played a game where i have died so much, I picked up the Guide and it basically said "here, this will help you die a little less". It's so fun and addicting though. Honestly its a bit easier with a controller I think. Also, it has an interesting "buddy system" where you summon a random person to help you and it makes the bosses a bit easier. but none the less, expect to die all day, every day.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

haha nice...So if I like being dealt some serious punishment I should pick it up!

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
Please be aware that if you are planning on getting the pc version you NEED an Xbox controller or a game pad of some sort. The game is unplayable with keyboard and mouse, in fact, the mouse doesn't even have acceleration, it has mouse deceleration.

I should also note that the game is locked to 30fps, and will drop on occasions. If you wish to display the game above 1024x768 you will also need to apply a resolution mod.

I don't mean to bash on the game, but be aware of these issues before you buy it. If you are fine with the problems I mentioned, and are looking for a challenging game, then you will probably enjoy it.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
its really not hard at all with the bosses being the exeption. some of them can and will kill you with one hit. just always keep your shield up and you will be fine, just watch your stamina. the kb+m isnt all that bad if you give it a chance, but if you havent played one of these games before you will want a 360 controller because all the button prompts are mapped to it already.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

If by "isn't all that bad" you mean unplayable, then yes. The mouse DOESN'T work. They treated the mouse axis as a controller analog stick, resulting in mouse deceleration, meaning that the faster you move the mouse the slower your camera will move across the screen. So, I'm just making sure that OP realizes he needs a controller if he wants to play effectively.

tjosborne

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
by isnt all that bad i mean it IS playable, the mouse DOES work, just not ideal. and did you read my whole post? i said if he never played one of these games before to get the 360 controller. i have played both already on ps3 for well over 250 hours together and know the mechanics of the game. kb+m has gotten me to sens fortress in 12 hrs so im not having a problem with it. i was just giving my two cents which is worth the same as yours, no need to hate or attack.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Sorry if it came over as attacking, that's not what I meant at all. I just wanted to make OP aware of the mouse acceleration issue. I suppose "playable" varies from person to person, just like some might find 30fps playable while others need 60.

So, sorry if I came off as hating on you.

OP - hopefully you can enjoy the game!