tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Im sorry to have to post here but my question didnt get any reply in the memory section. Well here goes...

I have a 100mhz system (FSB) and currently have 64mb PC100 Samsung branded Ram, and 128mb Generic PC133 ram, but with Hynix Chips. Would I beable to run the samsung at 133FSB, and if not will I notice any performance difference between 192mb, and 128mb of system ram (even though it will be running at 133 rather than 100)?

Any reply would be helpful

If all else fails, Go further :)

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
It's hard to say. If I were you I'd try to run it at 133, it can't hurt. If the system doesn't boot then your answer is no! Clear the CMOS jumper and it'll boot fine and now you know. If it does start @ 133 let it run windows and try some games, see if you notice lines in the screen or other anonalmials that just don't seem right, if so it's running the PC100 too hard, if not you should be good. Just watch for weird things that didn't happen before you vhanged the settings.

As far as performance it depends on what you use the PC for. You may not notice a loss of 64MB of RAM as 128MB is usually enough, except for XP. I don't know why but XP seems slow as [-peep-] unless it has 192 or more! Simple tasks, such as internet, email and word processing don't demand much RAM. But if you play games or do anything that's memory demanding, or have XP, THE MORE RAM THE better!!! Regardless of it's clock rate.

If you're using a Pentium 2/3, Celeron or older AMD K6 the performance gain from PC100 to 133 is very minimal since the processor's FSB is at 66MHz or 100MHz. You'll most likely benefit from lower memory timings. If you have a pentium 4 or duron/athlon the 133MHz memory clock would offer some performance gain!

As for memory timings, the generic RAM is probably CAS 3, the Samsung might be 2.5 - If it's set in BIOS at CAS or CL 3 try running it at 2.5 - you'll notice weird things if the memory can't handle the lower timing! The lower setting of CAS 2 is probably pushing it since only high quality RAM will run at that timing!

To sum it up; Try to run at 133, see what happens. Also check the memory timings in BIOS and see if you can lower them. Trial and error on this one, if all else fails eBay the PC100 and buy a stick of PC133 for a few extra bucks!

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Thanks Alot :D, i have a p3 750 and will be running win98SE, i would think 128 would be enough for this BUT, i do run some games such as counterstrike, and MOHAA

If all else fails, Go further :)