Zalman Cooler 6000 Cu

Bendora

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Hi, I installed a Salman CPU cooler on my CPU. I installed it ok, well on one point wrong. the cooling-pasta should put on the cpu just a little bit. I didn't read that part correctly and emptied the whole tube on my CPU.

It's working but I read now, I needed to put a little bit on the CPU.

My Question is, will My cooling not work good inuuf now there is to mutch pasta on the CPU?

Need an answer quick

Thanks for reading

Signing off Bendor@ Celleron from The Netherland
Design Federation 1978-2002

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
Sorry I haven't read posts until now. You're probably wondering what's wrong with your computer and unfairly anxious. It's called <A HREF="http://www.gamespy.com/comics2/angsttech/" target="_new">Angst Technology</A>. :lol:

The cooling paste does not actually cool. It's job is to fill the empty space of air between the CPU core and the heatsink. Your computer is probably running a lot hotter than it should right now because of this.

Only put on enough paste as is necessary to close the gap between the CPU core (the small square in the middle of the package) and the heatsink. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, pretend the core and the bottom of the heatsink are both very irregular shaped and not flat. It's the job of the paste to fill in these irregular spaces and make sure both of them are touching as much as they can. In reality, these same irregular spaces DO exist. They are just so tiny that you cannot see them, microscopic in size, and can disrupt "thermal transfer"--that is the transfer of heat away from the CPU and into the heatsink--quite a bit.

The problem is the paste itself is not as good as the heatsink, so its only job is to add *just enough* so that it can help it to transfer heat and still not get in the way of the heatsink from doing its job.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!