Sign in with
Your question

when CPU reaches shutdn temp. my PSU blows, help

Last response: in Overclocking
July 13, 2002 8:46:03 AM

I know this may not be the right forum but you are the ones that know more about high temperatures.
I have 2 pcs with an Epox 8k7a+, Tbird 1.4.
When the cpu reaches the motherboard shutdown temperature, it shutdowns, indeed! by blowing my powersuply.
It happened 5 times, 2 in one pc and 3 on the other
After shutting down when i press the power button..the power led lites, also the power led on the motherboard...but nothing else happens.
when I put the powersuply on another pc it does the same, is like dead, and if i put a new one..everything work right.
Please, let me know if this happens or at least if it never happend to you, or anyone known by you, and if there is any way to avoid it.
thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 13, 2002 2:49:16 PM

LED lit=power supply not blown

It is probably just some weird combo of a power saving mode.
July 13, 2002 6:03:49 PM

something similar happened to me once, i saw some flashes in my case and i thought the PSU had died but i decided to check the fuse, it hadnt blow but when i put it back in after having removed it the PSU worked again.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine, i dont know what caused it to shut down then but i know removing the fuse and the putting it back again worked for him to.
Related resources
a c 95 à CPUs
a c 225 K Overclocking
July 14, 2002 3:56:36 AM

Invest in better cooling so you don't reach shutdown temperatures!

You never know what you can do until you try.
July 14, 2002 10:47:08 AM

Knewton:
--------------------------------------------------------
LED lit=power supply not blown
It is probably just some weird combo of a power saving mode.
--------------------------------------------------------
but if I put this PSU in another box it does the same...as far as i know PSUs dont have any mode..so how could this be?
I isnt totaly fried cos the speakers turn on for a second ( i have one of those cases with speakers plug) but nothing else..the fans dont even move, so im guessing that maybe some of the atx cables to the mobo aint working.

4ryan6
-----------------------------------------------------------
Invest in better cooling so you don't reach shutdown temperatures!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I did that, unortunately ive been fooled twice about the quality of the HS ..now after read some reviews here im thinking of a swiftech MCXC-370..or a swiftech MC462-A
what you think about them?
but i´d like to know why my psu fries when mobo shutdown, becouse if the fan fails or something it´ll hit shutdown temp and I dont want to loose my new enermax .
July 14, 2002 11:31:57 AM

Some PSU's have cutouts when they get shorted or overloaded. In my old one you had to remove the fuse and then put it back in to reset the cut-out circuit.

If all else fails, Go further :) 
July 14, 2002 10:32:31 PM

Well I´ve just removed the fuse and inserted it back again...unfortunately it didn´t worked for me :( 
thanks, im still looking for the answer
!