what do you consider stable

GoLarge

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
I'm just wondering from some more experienced people a) what do you do to test stability of you o/c and b) what the most common signs of unsuccessful o/c.

In my particular situation i'm just mildy o/c the FSB of my locked AXP 1800 and it seems I can go higher (145) but then I get lock ups after a long time. This would seem heat related but i'm constantly monitoring my temps and never go above 52 under load. If i turn the FSB down to like 141 it'll run forever. I just wish it would lock up on boot up if was going to be unstable instead of teasing me.

"A very popular error: having the courage of one's convictions" - Nietzsche

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Kinda sounds like you answered your own question. I do what you pretty much did, I don't use Burn in methods, but push my rig till it pukes, then back it down a notch or two. Run it in it's usually daily apps for a week or so, and if no problems, up it a notch and repeat. Usually takes me around 3 weeks to find a comfortable level where I don't need to mess around with it.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

GoLarge

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
OMG, there is actually a point where you stop messing around with it. :eek: That must be my problem. But seriously thanks for the info that's kinda what I figured but it's just hard to be patient with a new rig. I'm actually starting to feel all tweaked-out now.

"A very popular error: having the courage of one's convictions" - Nietzsche

Cruiser

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Run Prime95, Toast or Hot CPU Tester! If it can run for a few hours, it´ll run anything! It takes a few hours, but then you´ll know if your setting is stable.