After updating to XP Pro from 2K Pro, I get random printer disconnects from
the local printer. The jobs sit in the printer queue with the "error" flag.
After I reboot the computer, the jobs print. This never happened in 2K. Is
there some new printer setting I need to know about in XP?

Thanks.

First thing to remember is to never keep a printer connected during an
upgrade!

Second thing to remember is that if it's a USB printer, the USB ports are
set to go into standby to save power by default. You can disable this
feature from the Device Manager.

Uninstall and reinstall your printer.
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Neil W" <neilw@REMOVEnetlib.com> wrote in message
> After updating to XP Pro from 2K Pro, I get random printer disconnects
> from the local printer. The jobs sit in the printer queue with the "error"
> flag. After I reboot the computer, the jobs print. This never happened in
> 2K. Is there some new printer setting I need to know about in XP?
>
> Thanks.

It is a parallel port printer. However I tried your suggestions: disabling
standby, and reinstalling the printer drivers. The printer still
disconnects within 24 hours.

I seem to recall a similar problem with wireless network cards in a desktop
XP-based system. Could this be related? If so, how was that resolved? I am
using a Dell Dimension desktop system.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Neil