• LCD/LED
  • 17 %
  • Plasma
  • 9 %
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 9:22:59 AM

:love: 

What’s your display choice and why?

For me its Plasma hands down, very big, looks great @ 1080p (I don’t need to go higher), very immersive and response times are faster than most monitors. Plasmas were notoriously ignored in the past and understand why with image burn and retention issues but since for a while now there has been vast improvements made.

More about : gaming monitor poll discussion

September 8, 2012 10:15:22 AM

I use my LCD Tv as it much more convent and i use it to watch movies and play Games in 3D
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 12:21:05 PM

use a monitor there is no overscan issues then. all tv's regardless of platform use overscan to be compliant with a tv signal used in different countries. ntsc and pal secam are still the 2 main standards and because of this a tv based screen will never have the same pixel quality of image or stability of image as a monitor.

as for plasma being better, yeah they used to be better for image quality but led/lcd and oled monitors have improved a lot and now have comparable image quality and a much reduced price...

also being as most monitors sold today are lcd/led your poll needs clarifying... if you mean crt monitor rathert than lcd or lcdc/tv

your litrally fooling yourself if you think there is a huge difference. there just isnt.
Related resources
September 8, 2012 1:43:45 PM

I always choose monitor just because I feel its more fitted for a computer, preferably a LED back lit one. I mainly cant stand anything over 24"-28" so I usually buy a monitor, although on an actual Gaming console (Xbox, PS3, etc.) It is sometimes nice to sit back and play some Call of Duty or Skyrim or whatever. So for that I do slightly prefer a TV better than a monitor in that case.
a c 135 C Monitor
September 8, 2012 2:05:16 PM

I choose a monitor for 3D. 3D TV sets, unless passive, will not game well at 1080p, as the active 3D TV sets don't have the required dl-DVI or displayport connections required for 60hz per eye at 1080p. TV's can't accept a 120hz signal either.

From my limited experience with my LCD TV, the image is definitely blurrier as well.

Note: I will be very tempted to get a 120hz/3D Vision ready TV if they ever build one. 3D would likely feel more real when much larger.
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 2:18:22 PM

HEXiT said:
use a monitor there is no overscan issues then. all tv's regardless of platform use overscan to be compliant with a tv signal used in different countries. ntsc and pal secam are still the 2 main standards and because of this a tv based screen will never have the same pixel quality of image or stability of image as a monitor.

No problems here. I've seen people here having overscan issues but thats because of either wrong settings or something wrong with the driver. But you are right, monitors dont have this issue straight from the bat. As for Stabilty or image quality i dont agree, quality tvs do a fine job when setup correctly.

HEXiT said:
as for plasma being better, yeah they used to be better for image quality but led/lcd and oled monitors have improved a lot and now have comparable image quality and a much reduced price...

In fact plasma are/or the same price or cheaper. I’ve seen cheaper prices for the same size! But for image quality, lcd is crisper but i wouldn’t trade input lag for minor differences.

HEXiT said:
also being as most monitors sold today are lcd/led your poll needs clarifying... if you mean crt monitor rather than lcd or lcdc/tv

LCD monitor and tv panel are not the same. Monitor panels commonly use TN panel (Twisted Nematic) which gives fast response times where TVs use MVA/IPS panels allowing excellent color but at a reduced latency. My poll was generic; what do you use for gaming, monitor, lcd or plasma. Though could have added an crt and projector option too i guess, just didnt think of them at the time because i was in a monitor vs tv mood :) 

HEXiT said:
your litrally fooling yourself if you think there is a huge difference. there just isnt.

There is a difference between monitor, lcd and plasma.
Monitor: Excellent response time and color but are restricted to small size unfortunately for those who want bigger. Wished it were different but it’s not and would cost companies too much using TN panels in bigger sizes.
LCD: Big, immersive, great viewing yadda yadda but let down by response time.
Plasma: Being biased of them all albeit right to an opinion is all the positives above :) 

Wasn’t going to go into it this far but you asked :) 
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 3:03:29 PM

bystander said:
I choose a monitor for 3D. 3D TV sets, unless passive, will not game well at 1080p, as the active 3D TV sets don't have the required dl-DVI or displayport connections required for 60hz per eye at 1080p. TV's can't accept a 120hz signal either.

From my limited experience with my LCD TV, the image is definitely blurrier as well.

Note: I will be very tempted to get a 120hz/3D Vision ready TV if they ever build one. 3D would likely feel more real when much larger.

Would make sense, what’s it feel like viewing 3D content at 120hz between the eyes compared to 60hz?.
My tv is 3D ready but haven’t got the glasses. Dunno if i want to really, didn’t really enjoy 3D in the cinema.
a c 135 C Monitor
September 8, 2012 3:28:01 PM

boju said:
Would make sense, what’s it feel like viewing 3D content at 120hz between the eyes compared to 60hz?.
My tv is 3D ready but haven’t got the glasses. Dunno if i want to really, didn’t really enjoy 3D in the cinema.

I'm assuming you may be talking about passive 3D when you say ask that comparison. The active systems give you 60hz per eye, the passive systems give both eyes 60hz at the same time, but cut your screen resolution in half.

I find it very good to have full 1080p resolution with 3D.

There is a big difference between most movies in 3D and gaming in 3D. Most movies which use 3D, take a 2D movie, and add some layers, which make things look like they are cardboard cutouts placed at different depths, like a pop up book. This is a rather disappointing experience. However, 3D in gaming, actually renders the scene for each eye at the correct angles, which looks far better than almost all movies.
a b C Monitor
September 8, 2012 3:32:37 PM

bystander said:
There is a big difference between most movies in 3D and gaming in 3D. Most movies which use 3D, take a 2D movie, and add some layers, which make things look like they are cardboard cutouts placed at different depths, like a pop up book. This is a rather disappointing experience. However, 3D in gaming, actually renders the scene for each eye at the correct angles, which looks far better than almost all movies.

Awesome will keep that inmind, +1 for monitor in this regard :) 
!