Boxed P4 (2.0a) standard heatsink question

Gerrit

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2002
I'd like to be sure about this: I suppose the material on the heatsink (the side of it that comes in contact with the CPU) that looks like a strand of tape (a few tenths of a mm thick and metallic) is some kind of termal interface material and not actually some piece of tape???...???

Please reassure my mind...

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
That is correct. The black material is a very thin layer of parafin wax, that will melt the first time it heats up. It should work fine! Intel puts that on all their heatsinks.

Bob

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
yeah it's great, till you have to remove the cooler for any reason. then you better have something handy to replace it. easy way to remove that gunk is "it" lighter fluid after removing some with a creditcard (any card), works like a charm. (the brand I use is "it" but I bet they all the same, it's like VISA or Mastercard better to remove gunk? :smile: )

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

FiL

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002
i wouldn't use VISA, we all know that Mastercards are far better gunk removers :wink:

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mol_gen" target="_new"><font color=red>My Computer</font color=red></A>

TRENDING THREADS