How to install fax on xp...without cd's

April 13, 2005 5:06:02 AM

hi...how do you install fax on xp when the computer came preinstalled with xp
and no cd's....i have tried adding windows componets..faxing services....when
prompted for disc...changing to c:windows/drivercache/i386
but its empty....
thx :-)

More about : install fax

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 10:17:47 AM

If your installation files are on the hard drive, you may need to direct the
routine to the i386 Folder there. If you have applied a Service Pack, these
files may have been moved to a different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and
you will need to direct the routine to that folder.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"di" <di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 71E1986-21A5-490C-B199-6D96B97641B6@microsoft.com...
> hi...how do you install fax on xp when the computer came preinstalled with
> xp
> and no cd's....i have tried adding windows componets..faxing
> services....when
> prompted for disc...changing to c:windows/drivercache/i386
> but its empty....
> thx :-)
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:36:02 AM

Hi Russ...thank you...but ...the i386 folder is empty....there is service
pack 1 installed but i cannot find folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), any other
suggestions??

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> If your installation files are on the hard drive, you may need to direct the
> routine to the i386 Folder there. If you have applied a Service Pack, these
> files may have been moved to a different folder (ServicePackFiles\i386), and
> you will need to direct the routine to that folder.
>

> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "di" <di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D 71E1986-21A5-490C-B199-6D96B97641B6@microsoft.com...
> > hi...how do you install fax on xp when the computer came preinstalled with
> > xp
> > and no cd's....i have tried adding windows componets..faxing
> > services....when
> > prompted for disc...changing to c:windows/drivercache/i386
> > but its empty....
> > thx :-)

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:00:01 AM

No. Those are the only places I've seen them.
When the installation routine is unable to find the necessary installation
files (even when directed to the appropriate i386 Folder) it usually means
that the installation files are compressed. This is often the case when the
files are pre-copied by a manufacturer on the hard drive. If you do a search
for the files that the installation routine claims are missing (fxsapi.dll
and fxcfgwz.dll) you won't find them, but you will find fxsapi.dl_ and
fxcfgwz.dl_.
--

!