WARNING - P4 Voltage OC'ing

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Just a heads up, it appears unlike the Athlon where heat is the big issue, with the Pentium 4 bumping the voltage up over 1.75V seems to be frying the chips! Below is a excerpt of a thread someone posted on Madonion.com

"I test P4 systems... aircooled, peltier cooled, watercooled, and phase-change cooled...

As the P4 chips have clock-throttling built into the processors, heat is not a problem to the P4's....however, high voltage to the V-core is.

There is a growing database of evidence of P4 cpu's dying from high voltage to the core. Anything over the Intel spec of 1.75 MAX is dangerous.

I lost a 2.2 and a 1.6 at 1.95 and 2.0 volts, the interconnects broke down from the voltage after only 2 weeks... both were cooled very well, one in a Vap0, the other peltier cooled.

I also lost a 2.4 at only 1.85 volts in three weeks with chilled watercooling.

Several sources on the net have also reported failures from high voltages to the P4 core. Intel techs I have spoken to agree that this threat is very real. The small interconnects and gates used in the current P4's are subject to electromigration and oxide breakdown, resulting in a chip which will not boot, or one that will only run at reduced speeds, before dying.

Anything over 1.7 Volts is playing with immanent failure..

The main enemy of P4's is NOT heat...it is OVERVOLTING."

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
exactly...thats why i tell people not to have the Vcore of a cpu higher than 10% of retail specs when overclocking...

:eek: <b>L <font color=red>A</font color=red> e <font color=red>T</font color=red> a <font color=red>I</font color=red> K</b> :eek: