  • Fax
  • Spreadsheet
  • Windows XP
April 13, 2005 11:49:20 AM

I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in Word
but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have set
my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting print,
I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to fax
after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
--
Ed S

More about : spreadsheet print faxes

April 13, 2005 12:51:04 PM

Check your setup in WorkSuite for printing spreadsheets to print to the
printer and not to Fax. Although your printer is set as default, if your
setup is set to Fax, there is where it will go.

"Ed S" wrote:

> I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in Word
> but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have set
> my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting print,
> I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to fax
> after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
> --
> Ed S
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 3:38:04 PM

Go to PRINTERS in CONTROL PANEL and set the default to your HP printer..
setting from within an application will not necessarily set the HP printer
to 'system' default..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in
>Word
> but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have
> set
> my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting
> print,
> I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to
> fax
> after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
> --
> Ed S
April 14, 2005 6:22:03 PM

Mike, as I already pointed out, I had done exactly that.

"Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Go to PRINTERS in CONTROL PANEL and set the default to your HP printer..
> setting from within an application will not necessarily set the HP printer
> to 'system' default..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in
> >Word
> > but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have
> > set
> > my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting
> > print,
> > I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to
> > fax
> > after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
> > --
> > Ed S

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:27:07 PM

Byte,
This could be the problem, but where exactly is WorksSuite? In "all
programs" I have a listing for Microsoft Works and one for Microsoft Word but
none for Suite.<

"Byte" wrote:

> Check your setup in WorkSuite for printing spreadsheets to print to the
> printer and not to Fax. Although your printer is set as default, if your
> setup is set to Fax, there is where it will go.
>
> "Ed S" wrote:
>
> > I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in Word
> > but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have set
> > my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting print,
> > I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to fax
> > after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
> > --
> > Ed S
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:01:12 AM

Ed

You are absolutely right of course.. try deleting the fax printer.. then
print a spreadsheet to the HP.. if all goes well, reinstall the fax printer
and see if Excel still tries to print to it..

--

> Mike, as I already pointed out, I had done exactly that.
>

> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Go to PRINTERS in CONTROL PANEL and set the default to your HP printer..
>> setting from within an application will not necessarily set the HP
>> printer
>> to 'system' default..
>>
>> --
>> Mike Hall
>> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "Ed S" <EdS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in
>> >Word
>> > but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have
>> > set
>> > my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting
>> > print,
>> > I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back
>> > fax
>> > after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
>> > --
>> > Ed S

April 16, 2005 10:55:02 AM

Open MS Works and click on Help and look under Spreadsheets. If nothing
there use the Index under Word.

"Ed S" wrote:

> Byte,
> This could be the problem, but where exactly is WorksSuite? In "all
> programs" I have a listing for Microsoft Works and one for Microsoft Word but
> none for Suite.<
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > Check your setup in WorkSuite for printing spreadsheets to print to the
> > printer and not to Fax. Although your printer is set as default, if your
> > setup is set to Fax, there is where it will go.
> >
> > "Ed S" wrote:
> >
> > > I am running XP on a new Dell with WorksSuite. I can print documents in Word
> > > but when I try to print a spreadsheet it goes to the fax screen. I have set
> > > my HP printer as the default printer in control panel. When selecting print,
> > > I change the print option box to print but the option box changes back to fax
> > > after pressing OK. Would appreciate any advice.
> > > --
> > > Ed S
Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:57:01 PM

The only places I find for this setting are in the option box that appears
after the print command and in printers under control panel. Sometimes I
can't fax and sometimes I can't print even when both settings are the same. I
seem to have resolved the problem by taking fax or print "offline" in control
panel. Also, I think this happens only with spreadsheets created in my old
version of Works (even though they have been saved in the current version.

"Byte" wrote:

> Open MS Works and click on Help and look under Spreadsheets. If nothing
> there use the Index under Word.
>
> "Ed S" wrote:
>
> > Byte,
> > This could be the problem, but where exactly is WorksSuite? In "all
> > programs" I have a listing for Microsoft Works and one for Microsoft Word but
> > none for Suite.<
> >
> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> > > Check your setup in WorkSuite for printing spreadsheets to print to the
> > > printer and not to Fax. Although your printer is set as default, if your
> > > setup is set to Fax, there is where it will go.

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:14:12 AM

Ed

There was a time when one would create a document, send to a printer, and
then save the document at which point the document would 'remember' the
printer.. thereafter, if one wanted to send the document to another printer
on the system, be it another physical printer or the fax printer, one would
have to change what had become the document default each time..

This could be what is happening to you.. it is similar to the effect of
creating a document which is saved directly to the A drive.. regardless of
where the document is opened, it will always try to save back to A..

--

> The only places I find for this setting are in the option box that appears
> after the print command and in printers under control panel. Sometimes I
> can't fax and sometimes I can't print even when both settings are the
> same. I
> seem to have resolved the problem by taking fax or print "offline" in
> control
> panel. Also, I think this happens only with spreadsheets created in my old
> version of Works (even though they have been saved in the current version.
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
>> Open MS Works and click on Help and look under Spreadsheets. If nothing
>> there use the Index under Word.
>>
>> "Ed S" wrote:
>>
>> > Byte,
>> > This could be the problem, but where exactly is WorksSuite? In "all
>> > programs" I have a listing for Microsoft Works and one for Microsoft
>> > Word but
>> > none for Suite.<

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:14:13 AM

I know what you're talking about but that is not the case here. In control
panel printers I show the printer as the default. Then in the document print
screen properties I change the printer from fax to print. I press OK and it
tries to fax. Or, if set up the opposite, I select fax and it tries to print.
If I again try to print, the printer is somehow set back to the wrong setting
in properties despite control panel still showing the correct setting. As I
said, I think this problem is limited to spreadsheets created on my old
computer and copied over to this one. Thanks for your interest.

!