Presario 1700 (17XL365) upgrade ignorance...

I have a Presario 1700 (17XL365) that came with ME. 2 partitions, C and D,
(D must be the restore)
ME stinks and I want to put XP Pro (or W2K) on this machine.
Right now the machine barely runs and I don't want to go spend $2000 on a
new one if I don't have to.
I have saved all my drivers using the MyDrivers utility I found on the web.

I really don't know how to go about this, I would like to wipe the hard
drive, but still have a couple partitions on it.

Anybody done things like this and could give me any advice, walkthrus, etc ?

I realize it probably isn't that tough, but I've never done this before and
I have a great deal of trepidation that I will do something that I can't get
out of. I really don't want to spend 3 days reading books/articles/etc.
telling me how to do this in theory, and it would take a week to track done
all this information before I felt comfortable with it.

I see the drives are fat32, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help and your indulgance.

Mike
1 answer Last reply
More about presario 1700 17xl365 upgrade ignorance

    Whatever you do, use XP (Pro or Home). Installing as OS older than your
    hardware can get troublesome. XP has a vastly larger native driver database.
    If you ever want to reinstall the original software image, leave the D:
    partition alone.
    HH

    "Mike" <mberger@skypoint.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Presario 1700 (17XL365) that came with ME. 2 partitions, C and D,
    > (D must be the restore)
    > ME stinks and I want to put XP Pro (or W2K) on this machine.
    > Right now the machine barely runs and I don't want to go spend $2000 on a
    > new one if I don't have to.
    > I have saved all my drivers using the MyDrivers utility I found on the
    > web.
    >
    > I really don't know how to go about this, I would like to wipe the hard
    > drive, but still have a couple partitions on it.
    >
    > Anybody done things like this and could give me any advice, walkthrus, etc
    > ?
    >
    > I realize it probably isn't that tough, but I've never done this before
    > and
    > I have a great deal of trepidation that I will do something that I can't
    > get
    > out of. I really don't want to spend 3 days reading books/articles/etc.
    > telling me how to do this in theory, and it would take a week to track
    > done
    > all this information before I felt comfortable with it.
    >
    > I see the drives are fat32, if that makes any difference.
    >
    > Thanks for any help and your indulgance.
    >
    > Mike

Compaq Presario Computers