Sign in with
Your question

Warcraft III won't launch in Windows 7

Last response: in Video Games
September 8, 2012 2:37:18 PM

I've installed Warcraft II on my new computer that's running on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, but it won't let me launch the game. Instead, it gives me an error message saying that it is

"Unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have installed DirectX 8.1 or higher and that your display drivers are up to date..."

"Please verify that your Warcraft III disc is in your CD_ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'."

I have DirectX11 installed and my EVGA GTX 560 video card has its drivers up to date. I initially had the CD-ROM in the drive, but I uninstalled it and downloaded the game client off of battle.net, hoping that would fix the problem. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

I have installed it in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP2 and I have also tried running it in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP2 and SP3, and Windows 2000. I've also checked dxdiag and it tells me that there are no errors and I cannot disable or enable Direct3D like some answers I have found online.

I have no idea why this game isn't working and I'm hoping you guys could help me.

Can I really not play Warcraft III, or is there a solution to this?

Thanks

-Francis
September 8, 2012 2:51:36 PM

Try posting on blizzard forums, or even give them a call.
September 11, 2012 11:35:43 PM

Figured out how to fix my problem, if anybody has the same thing.

Try right-clicking on the shortcut, go to "Properties", and in the "Target" dialog box, add
"-opengl" to the end (without the quotation marks, obviously).
Related resources
September 27, 2012 3:49:55 PM

F_Pastor said:
Figured out how to fix my problem, if anybody has the same thing.

Try right-clicking on the shortcut, go to "Properties", and in the "Target" dialog box, add
"-opengl" to the end (without the quotation marks, obviously).

Ok I have had the EXACT same problem as you and have tried all of the solutions you have mentioned.

This last one you posted is different than what I've seen before but I can't get it to work. What exactly do you mean by it?

This is what appears in my Target box in Properties:

"E:\Warcraft 3\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe"

where do i add the new stuff?
September 27, 2012 3:58:13 PM

at the end. Make it like this:

1. "E:\Warcraft 3\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -opengl
September 27, 2012 7:21:55 PM

Hmmm it's saying it's not a valid path...
what now?
September 27, 2012 9:21:30 PM

Did you by accident place -opengl under citation marks?
November 9, 2012 12:05:05 PM

F_Pastor said:
I've installed Warcraft II on my new computer that's running on Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, but it won't let me launch the game. Instead, it gives me an error message saying that it is

"Unable to initialize DirectX. Please ensure that you have installed DirectX 8.1 or higher and that your display drivers are up to date..."

"Please verify that your Warcraft III disc is in your CD_ROM drive, then click on 'Retry'."

I have DirectX11 installed and my EVGA GTX 560 video card has its drivers up to date. I initially had the CD-ROM in the drive, but I uninstalled it and downloaded the game client off of battle.net, hoping that would fix the problem. Unfortunately, the problem persisted.

I have installed it in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP2 and I have also tried running it in compatibility mode with Windows XP SP2 and SP3, and Windows 2000. I've also checked dxdiag and it tells me that there are no errors and I cannot disable or enable Direct3D like some answers I have found online.

I have no idea why this game isn't working and I'm hoping you guys could help me.

Thanks

-Francis

November 9, 2012 12:05:06 PM

We have the same problem dude. :(  Hope someone will help us
February 9, 2013 4:53:08 PM

Right click the shortcut of the war3 icon and you should see

D:\WarcraftIII\war3.exe

The D:\WarcraftIII would represent the directory you installed warcraft in

You need to add the following to it

D:\WarcraftIII\war3.exe -opengl

No quote, nothing, just add -opengl

Let me know how it went!
August 13, 2013 2:35:06 PM

The problem is with the intro movie.
Windows 7 can´t play the intro movie so it crashes and return to the desktop.
Add this key to the registry to tell the game that you have seen the intro already. So the game starts normally.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Warcraft III\Misc]
"seenintromovie"=dword:00000001
December 15, 2013 7:07:01 AM

did anyone find a fix? I'm running win 8.1 and get the same error message - please e-mail a fix to griff55@bell.net -Thanks
February 16, 2014 12:40:03 AM

Try this
"E:\Warcraft 3\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" -opengl
with a space
E:\Warcraft 3\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe" [space] -opengl
February 18, 2014 12:14:10 PM

You need a little piece of software to get Warcraft to run properly. First of all download the Warcraft 3 patches from Blizzards site and install them. It wont work when you try open it up but you will get the necessary files there. To get them to work you will need this: http://www.engamers.com/download-warcraft-iii-fixer-w3f... it will fix Warcraft patches for you. I did this maybe a year back and i dont remember if those are the exact steps. Just google a youtube vid about the Warcraft 3 Fixer and a proper guide should show up. I hope this helps

Patch link: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/classic-game-p... just select WC3
February 19, 2014 9:33:32 PM

F_Pastor said:

Thanks

-Francis

February 26, 2014 4:48:34 AM

KardasDragon1321 said:
You need a little piece of software to get Warcraft to run properly. First of all download the Warcraft 3 patches from Blizzards site and install them. It wont work when you try open it up but you will get the necessary files there. To get them to work you will need this: http://www.engamers.com/download-warcraft-iii-fixer-w3f... it will fix Warcraft patches for you. I did this maybe a year back and i dont remember if those are the exact steps. Just google a youtube vid about the Warcraft 3 Fixer and a proper guide should show up. I hope this helps

Patch link: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/classic-game-p... just select WC3

Well ... I HAVE FIND THE SOLUTION ! This really works for me . I'm using Warcraft 3 Portable , so already fullversion . I've used Warcraft Version Switch and i've downloaded the patch and then i switch the Warcraft 3 version with WVS and with the patch . And , you must add -opengl in the end ^_^

!