Problems sending faxes

April 14, 2005 5:26:52 PM

Hello..

I'm having problems sending faxes. I am able to receive them. I'm using a
SupraMAX 56i fax modem manufactured by Sonic Blue. I checked the HCL for Win
XP and it lists a CPT2070, SupraMAX 56i PCI V.92, but it is manufactured by
Conexant Systems, Inc. Since I am able to receive faxes, shouldn't the modem
i am using be compatible?

If not, which modem card would you recommend me getting?

This is what I observed when trying to send a fax:

1st observation in Fax console:

Status = In progress
Extended Status = Dialing
There are beeping sounds and a muffled voice message which I can't make out

2nd observation in Fax console (1 minute later):

Status = Retrying
Extended Status = No answer

Finally, the fax will not send.

I know that I am supposed to enter the number in canonical form. If I use
dialing rules, a "1"
is automatically placed in the beginning of the number when I select Canada
as my location.
But when I don't use dialing rules I enter "+1 (604) xxx-xxxx.

Question #1:

Should I use dialing rules or not?

Question #2:

Since I am able to receive faxes, is the modem
i am using compatible with Windows XP?

Question #3:

Do I need to get a new modem and which modem is guaranteed to work?

Thanks in advance!

More about : problems sending faxes

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:28:24 PM

We cannot answer whether you need to use dialing rules or not. Only you can
know that.
From your earlier post it is clear that the fax service is not dialing the
number correctly. Again, you are the only one who can figure out why. You
are the only one who knows what the requirements are for the number you are
dialing. Canonical format will ensure that the Fax Service dials the number
the way you specify in your dialing rules.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"dimples604" <dimples604@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello..
>
> I'm having problems sending faxes. I am able to receive them. I'm using a
> SupraMAX 56i fax modem manufactured by Sonic Blue. I checked the HCL for
> Win
> XP and it lists a CPT2070, SupraMAX 56i PCI V.92, but it is manufactured
> by
> Conexant Systems, Inc. Since I am able to receive faxes, shouldn't the
> modem
> i am using be compatible?
>
> If not, which modem card would you recommend me getting?
>
> This is what I observed when trying to send a fax:
>
> 1st observation in Fax console:
>
> Status = In progress
> Extended Status = Dialing
> There are beeping sounds and a muffled voice message which I can't make
> out
>
> 2nd observation in Fax console (1 minute later):
>
> Status = Retrying
> Extended Status = No answer
>
> Finally, the fax will not send.
>
> I know that I am supposed to enter the number in canonical form. If I use
> dialing rules, a "1"
> is automatically placed in the beginning of the number when I select
> Canada
> as my location.
> But when I don't use dialing rules I enter "+1 (604) xxx-xxxx.
>
> Question #1:
>
> Should I use dialing rules or not?
>
> Question #2:
>
> Since I am able to receive faxes, is the modem
> i am using compatible with Windows XP?
>
> Question #3:
>
> Do I need to get a new modem and which modem is guaranteed to work?
>
> Thanks in advance!
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:14:02 PM

I have a Lexmark 1100 series printer D(All-in-one). I have a Westell extenal
modem which bellsouth installed when they hooked up my DSL. I have tried to
program it as well as I can understand the instructions. However when I
bring up the Fax Tools the window says no device connected. So how do I go
about trying to get this machine to work? Is it the printer or is it the
program in my computer?
Please help!

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> We cannot answer whether you need to use dialing rules or not. Only you can
> know that.
> From your earlier post it is clear that the fax service is not dialing the
> number correctly. Again, you are the only one who can figure out why. You
> are the only one who knows what the requirements are for the number you are
> dialing. Canonical format will ensure that the Fax Service dials the number
> the way you specify in your dialing rules.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "dimples604" <dimples604@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello..
> >
> > I'm having problems sending faxes. I am able to receive them. I'm using a
> > SupraMAX 56i fax modem manufactured by Sonic Blue. I checked the HCL for
> > Win
> > XP and it lists a CPT2070, SupraMAX 56i PCI V.92, but it is manufactured
> > by
> > Conexant Systems, Inc. Since I am able to receive faxes, shouldn't the
> > modem
> > i am using be compatible?
> >
> > If not, which modem card would you recommend me getting?
> >
> > This is what I observed when trying to send a fax:
> >
> > 1st observation in Fax console:
> >
> > Status = In progress
> > Extended Status = Dialing
> > There are beeping sounds and a muffled voice message which I can't make
> > out
> >
> > 2nd observation in Fax console (1 minute later):
> >
> > Status = Retrying
> > Extended Status = No answer
> >
> > Finally, the fax will not send.
> >
> > I know that I am supposed to enter the number in canonical form. If I use
> > dialing rules, a "1"
> > is automatically placed in the beginning of the number when I select
> > Canada
> > as my location.
> > But when I don't use dialing rules I enter "+1 (604) xxx-xxxx.
> >
> > Question #1:
> >
> > Should I use dialing rules or not?
> >
> > Question #2:
> >
> > Since I am able to receive faxes, is the modem
> > i am using compatible with Windows XP?
> >
> > Question #3:
> >
> > Do I need to get a new modem and which modem is guaranteed to work?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 9:40:23 PM

Any Fax Service requires the use of an analog fax modem and analog phone
line.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]