Digital Doc 5

cashx0rs

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
First off I'd like to thank everyone for their informative knowledge. I've been reading these forums for months and been to lazy to register. Welp, I've broken down, registered, and here I am. I recieved the digital doc 5 yesterday and had some ideas, but not being a electrical or technical guru I seek the expertise of Tom's community.

I installed the Digital Doc in about 10 minutes including configuration. I utilized 4 heat temps on my cpu, northbridge, video card, and the last to measure in-case temperature. I initiated a scan, which basically goes through each temp channel and displays the current temperature of each channel going in a round robin fasion infinitely. The digital doc gives you the ability to monitor a total of 8 devices and cycles rather slowly through each channel regardless if you have anything hooked up or not. Is there a way to disable scanning of the channels you don't utilize? IE. For me it would be 5-8 since I only utilize the first four. I guess I can live with it being a few second of waiting won't hurt me, but it would be nice to only display the temps of channels you actually had hooked up.

Also, I've noticed the RPM feature seems to be a bit off. When I say a bit off I mean by 3000 RPMS or so. I have a dragon orb currently that according to 2 mobos runs about 5500 rpms whenhooked directly in to the mobo. However, the Digital Doc reports a whopping 9000 RPMS!!!!! Now it makes me wonder if the mobo's BIOS are wrong or the Digital Doc has a major bug in it reporting wrong fan RPMs. Maybe I even just got a screwed one.

Lastly, the scanning feature. There are 2 types of scan on the Digital Doc. One scan runs infinitely over the temp. channels displaying real time temperatures over and over again, which is nice because I can just look at it and see all my temps without having to press anything. The second scan scans through the temp channels one time, the fan RPMS one time and STOPS. I'd really rather to have this thing go continously over and over again like the first scan. If anybody can do the second scan continously withotu user intervention please inform me how, that is of course I don't have a buggy unit.

Overall, it's a cool toy and will look in anybody's case.
If I can't stop the scan of channeles 5-8, I guess I'll just have to stick temp nodes in more places to utilize em. :)

If anybody has changed the amber color of the LED display, please let me know before I hack it apart myself. I wouldn't mind changing the LED color to blue or green.

Cash

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
First off: for the hardcore modding/overclocking stuff there are dozens of web sites out there that could provide you with support on how to change the LED color or solder stuff. Other people can recommend good sites but also try searching through google or any other search engine.

The last time I ever looked into multi-function thermal/RPM/alarm bay covers was a long time ago. I read reviews that said they were expensive for their function, a few of them were horribly inaccurate (giving way screwy RPMs like you describe) and just weren't worth the trouble. I saw a review of one whose temp monitor kept going higher than the temps actually were, and the alarm kept going off. Apparently, some have improved, like the Hardcano II, and some have not.

I checked out the specs for your Digi Doc 5. Apparently each sensor refreshes every 40 seconds. That's 5 seconds between each change, and 4 inactive sensors means 20 seconds downtime. That would be pretty annoying to me. Unfortunately I don't know a thing about that product so you'll have to check with others who have it.

Sorry for not being much help.

Scotty35

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2002
I have the DigiDoc5, I don't use it at the moment but it was great for temp monitoring when I use to over-clock my system and during booting up. I mainly use motherboard monitor these days although it won’t do many things DigiDoc5 did.
The scanning functions are just ok, I do not know of shortening the scan to 4 or 5 probes though, basically what you have reported is about the way it goes. What I found annoying is the temp/fan cut out/in settings had no tolerance, they just cut in and out right on the setting and could have continued a further 5-degrees Celsius below this setting then cut out, but I had noisy case fans so it was obvious. Another thing is I found that during certain sequences I could push a button or two to enable further menus, which I cannot remember now unfortunately. It is fun however to set each fan up to operate at certain temperatures and to see the difference it makes, I also found the RPM's to be reported wrong but at least they were reported consistently wrong!! :lol:

Those other sensors you could set up as follows:
Have one protruding outside the case away from any fan exhaust to measure room temp.
One on the memory.
One on each hard drive.
Even one as a lower case temp probe!
Might as well utilize them since you have to watch it anyway, you can also press a button to proceed quicker through the temp scan too. I found this set-up handy for setting up cooling fans throughout the case; I also had to shield any probe that was in the direct airflow from a fan, as this would give incorrect temperature readings.

On the Digidoc5 site you can download a PDF user manual, which I basically flicked through!

The backlight can be turned off if you wish, and let us know how you go changing the led colour!

Good luck.

<A HREF="http://www.koalanet.com/australian-slang.html" target="_new">Aussie slang</A>