Can't print from laptop when desktop is off.

I have a network at home between my home desktop and my laptop, both using
Windows XP SP2. I have an Epson RX425 printer attached to the desktop and is
shared with the laptop. The problem is, I can only print from the laptop when
the desktop is ON, if the desktop is OFF I can't print anything. Is that
normal? Is there any way that I can access and use the printer from my laptop
without having to switch ON the desktop?
Thank you.
2 answers Last reply
More about print laptop desktop

    Yes, that is normal. The printer gets the print job from the spooler service
    which runs on the desktop. If the desktop is not on, the service does not
    run, and you cannot print from the laptop. The same would be true if the
    printer were installed on the laptop. In order to print from the desktop,
    the laptop would have to be on.

    "Paco" wrote:

    > I have a network at home between my home desktop and my laptop, both using
    > Windows XP SP2. I have an Epson RX425 printer attached to the desktop and is
    > shared with the laptop. The problem is, I can only print from the laptop when
    > the desktop is ON, if the desktop is OFF I can't print anything. Is that
    > normal? Is there any way that I can access and use the printer from my laptop
    > without having to switch ON the desktop?
    > Thank you.

    Yes, this is normal for the configuration you describe.

    If you want to print while the desktop is off, then you will have to run
    down to your local computer supply (Best Buy, Fry's Electronics, Circuit
    City, ...) and purchase a "print server". The folks at the store should be
    able to help you select the device you need.

    Michael Giroux

    "Paco" <Paco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a network at home between my home desktop and my laptop, both using
    > Windows XP SP2. I have an Epson RX425 printer attached to the desktop and
    > is
    > shared with the laptop. The problem is, I can only print from the laptop
    > when
    > the desktop is ON, if the desktop is OFF I can't print anything. Is that
    > normal? Is there any way that I can access and use the printer from my
    > laptop
    > without having to switch ON the desktop?
    > Thank you.

Laptops Desktops Windows XP