Sending fax where operator answers the phone

April 16, 2005 9:09:02 AM

I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator, requesting
him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I press the
"Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.

How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.

--
Tariq
April 16, 2005 11:40:01 AM

It means (in plain English) that the Fax app has
to use the phone with a dial-up to access the recipient's Fax number, not
an operator. Some Fax machines have settings for one tone to send a voice
message and two tones for Faxing, but not an Operator.

"Tariq Changgez" wrote:

> I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator, requesting
> him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I press the
> "Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.
>
> How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.
>
> --
> Tariq
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 1:21:10 PM

I haven't seen a manual send option in any Microsoft Fax product since
Windows 95. You have to be able to configure the Fax Service to "blind dial"
and there is no such option in Windows XP Fax.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Tariq Changgez" <TariqChanggez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator, requesting
> him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I press
> the
> "Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.
>
> How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.
>
> --
> Tariq
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:08:37 PM

Not really. This was an easy thing to do with Microsoft Fax. Just establish
your connection manually with a voice call, then set the fax service to
blind dial when the connection to the fax device is established. Windows XP
Fax just doesn't have this option.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It means (in plain English) that the Fax app has
> to use the phone with a dial-up to access the recipient's Fax number, not
> an operator. Some Fax machines have settings for one tone to send a voice
> message and two tones for Faxing, but not an Operator.
>
> "Tariq Changgez" wrote:
>
>> I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator,
>> requesting
>> him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I press
>> the
>> "Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.
>>
>> How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.
>>
>> --
>> Tariq
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:08:38 PM

You could try setting up a dialing rule using a calling card. Just leave out
the calling card access part and put a pause at the end that is long enough
to finish with the operator but not too long to hang up the receiving fax
machine. Even if it tries to connect while you are still talking to the
operator it will still work. Just immediately tell the operator you are
sending a fax and that it might butt into the conversation.

You will have to manually select the dialing rule. I don't thing it can be
configured for a single phone number.

> Not really. This was an easy thing to do with Microsoft Fax. Just
> establish your connection manually with a voice call, then set the fax
> service to blind dial when the connection to the fax device is
> established. Windows XP Fax just doesn't have this option.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It means (in plain English) that the Fax app has
>> to use the phone with a dial-up to access the recipient's Fax number, not
>> an operator. Some Fax machines have settings for one tone to send a
>> voice
>> message and two tones for Faxing, but not an Operator.
>>
>> "Tariq Changgez" wrote:
>>
>>> I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator,
>>> requesting
>>> him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I
>>> press the
>>> "Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.
>>>
>>> How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Tariq

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 8:14:54 PM

Russ, it actually does have the option, its just not in fax section.
'Control Panel|Phone and Modem Options|Modems|Properties|Modem' has a
checkbox to "Wait for dial tone before dialing" and will cause blind dialing
when unchecked.

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

> Not really. This was an easy thing to do with Microsoft Fax. Just
establish
> your connection manually with a voice call, then set the fax service to
> blind dial when the connection to the fax device is established. Windows
XP
> Fax just doesn't have this option.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "Byte" <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It means (in plain English) that the Fax app has
> > to use the phone with a dial-up to access the recipient's Fax number,
not
> > an operator. Some Fax machines have settings for one tone to send a
voice
> > message and two tones for Faxing, but not an Operator.
> >
> > "Tariq Changgez" wrote:
> >
> >> I have a client whom I send a fax by first calling the operator,
> >> requesting
> >> him to give me fax line, once I am through with the fax extension I
press
> >> the
> >> "Start" button on my stand-alone fax machine.
> >>
> >> How can this be achived using Windows XP Fax service.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Tariq

Anonymous
April 18, 2005 10:36:39 PM

That will work, of course. But with Microsoft Fax, users could configure
that option only for the Fax Service rather than globally.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
news:o hStvxGRFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...