lpr service

I have an hp deskjet 3650 on windows xp. I wish to print to it from a UNIX
host in my network. I am at the step where I am adding a printer. It
eventually asks for the printer drivers. I have a CD, but am unable to find
drivers for the printer. It appears there is an installation package to
handle all this, but I sure can't locate the drivers themselves. Any
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

There's a basic package at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=304535&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=dj-13201-3

However since the printer will be connected to the XP PC, you should install
it on the XP PC as if it were a standalone PC.... ie install the full
package software from the CD and do NOT connect the printer to the PC until
the software tells you to do so. The most updated driver package is at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=304535&lang=en&cc=us&softwareitem=dj-13138-3

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Joe C" <Joe C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an hp deskjet 3650 on windows xp. I wish to print to it from a UNIX
> host in my network. I am at the step where I am adding a printer. It
> eventually asks for the printer drivers. I have a CD, but am unable to
> find
> drivers for the printer. It appears there is an installation package to
> handle all this, but I sure can't locate the drivers themselves. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Let me clarify. The printer is already installed on the XP computer. What
I wish to do now is have lpr service, too. Doesn't seem right that I would
go through an entire installation (again) of the driver software.

"Joe C" wrote:

> I have an hp deskjet 3650 on windows xp. I wish to print to it from a UNIX
> host in my network. I am at the step where I am adding a printer. It
> eventually asks for the printer drivers. I have a CD, but am unable to find
> drivers for the printer. It appears there is an installation package to
> handle all this, but I sure can't locate the drivers themselves. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

If you are attempting to share the printer from XP for a UNIX client you
will need to install the Print Services for Unix

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324078
HOW TO: Install and Configure Print Services for UNIX

The default configuration is manual start so you will need to change the
Tcp/ip print service to auto start if you need this running all the time.

If you have a firewall enabled the service listens on TCP port 515.

UNIX will require a driver to render the data, the PC will only perform that
function if the data is sent in EMF format.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Let me clarify. The printer is already installed on the XP computer.
> What
> I wish to do now is have lpr service, too. Doesn't seem right that I
> would
> go through an entire installation (again) of the driver software.
>

> "Joe C" wrote:
>
>> I have an hp deskjet 3650 on windows xp. I wish to print to it from a
>> UNIX
>> host in my network. I am at the step where I am adding a printer. It
>> eventually asks for the printer drivers. I have a CD, but am unable to
>> find
>> drivers for the printer. It appears there is an installation package to
>> handle all this, but I sure can't locate the drivers themselves. Any
>> suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

TRENDING THREADS