can't decompress files to set up Fax Services

Im trying to set up the fax feature. My computer is new and came with SP2
pre-installed.

When I try to add fax services from windows components wizard, I get the
message : "Setup cannot copy the file fxsperf.dl_ "

I read in another post that I might need to decompress the files with the
"Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor" but when I try to do that with the files in
the I386 folder I get the message "a required resource cannot be located"

Any Ideas on what I should try next?

thanks
rebecca
6 answers Last reply
More about decompress files services

    To enable ZIP folder support run this command: regsvr32 zipfldr.dll.
    Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

    "Rebecca S" wrote:

    > Im trying to set up the fax feature. My computer is new and came with SP2
    > pre-installed.
    >
    > When I try to add fax services from windows components wizard, I get the
    > message : "Setup cannot copy the file fxsperf.dl_ "
    >
    > I read in another post that I might need to decompress the files with the
    > "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor" but when I try to do that with the files in
    > the I386 folder I get the message "a required resource cannot be located"
    >
    > Any Ideas on what I should try next?
    >
    > thanks
    > rebecca

    I did that but I'm still getting the same error messages.
    any other ideas?
    rebecca

    "Byte" wrote:

    > To enable ZIP folder support run this command: regsvr32 zipfldr.dll.
    > Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
    >
    > "Rebecca S" wrote:
    >
    > > Im trying to set up the fax feature. My computer is new and came with SP2
    > > pre-installed.
    > >
    > > When I try to add fax services from windows components wizard, I get the
    > > message : "Setup cannot copy the file fxsperf.dl_ "
    > >
    > > I read in another post that I might need to decompress the files with the
    > > "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor" but when I try to do that with the files in
    > > the I386 folder I get the message "a required resource cannot be located"
    > >
    > > Any Ideas on what I should try next?
    > >
    > > thanks
    > > rebecca

    You can do a Search of your harddrive for the fxsperf.dll file. But, you
    should already have a copy of it in: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    If it is listed as fxsperf.dl_ that means it is zipped/compressed.
    If it is listed as fxsperf.dll then you can copy/paste or drag and drop it.

    "Rebecca S" wrote:

    > I did that but I'm still getting the same error messages.
    > any other ideas?
    > rebecca
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > To enable ZIP folder support run this command: regsvr32 zipfldr.dll.
    > > Restart Windows for the change to take effect.
    > >
    > > "Rebecca S" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Im trying to set up the fax feature. My computer is new and came with SP2
    > > > pre-installed.
    > > >
    > > > When I try to add fax services from windows components wizard, I get the
    > > > message : "Setup cannot copy the file fxsperf.dl_ "
    > > >
    > > > I read in another post that I might need to decompress the files with the
    > > > "Win32 Cabinet Self-Extractor" but when I try to do that with the files in
    > > > the I386 folder I get the message "a required resource cannot be located"
    > > >
    > > > Any Ideas on what I should try next?
    > > >
    > > > thanks
    > > > rebecca

    it's a .dl_ file, and I can't get it (or any of them) to decompress.
    rebecca

    "Byte" wrote:

    > You can do a Search of your harddrive for the fxsperf.dll file. But, you
    > should already have a copy of it in: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    > If it is listed as fxsperf.dl_ that means it is zipped/compressed.
    > If it is listed as fxsperf.dll then you can copy/paste or drag and drop it.
    >
    > "Rebecca S" wrote:
    >
    > > I did that but I'm still getting the same error messages.
    > > any other ideas?
    > > rebecca
    > >
    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > > > To enable ZIP folder support run this command: regsvr32 zipfldr.dll.
    > > > Restart Windows for the change to take effect.

    1. Click on the Windows Start Menu.

    2. Click Run.

    3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb in the Open
    box, and click OK.

    4. Install IIS through the Control Panel Add/Remove Windows Components
    applet.

    And Bob's your uncle

    "Rebecca S" <RebeccaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > it's a .dl_ file, and I can't get it (or any of them) to decompress.
    > rebecca
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    >> You can do a Search of your harddrive for the fxsperf.dll file. But, you
    >> should already have a copy of it in: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    >> If it is listed as fxsperf.dl_ that means it is zipped/compressed.
    >> If it is listed as fxsperf.dll then you can copy/paste or drag and drop
    >> it.
    >>
    >> "Rebecca S" wrote:
    >>
    >> > I did that but I'm still getting the same error messages.
    >> > any other ideas?
    >> > rebecca

    Thank You!!
    It's working now.
    rebecca

    "DAVID MURPHY" wrote:

    > 1. Click on the Windows Start Menu.
    >
    > 2. Click Run.
    >
    > 3. Type esentutl /p %windir%\security\database\secedit.sdb in the Open
    > box, and click OK.
    >
    > 4. Install IIS through the Control Panel Add/Remove Windows Components
    > applet.
    >

    > And Bob's your uncle
    >

    > "Rebecca S" <RebeccaS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > it's a .dl_ file, and I can't get it (or any of them) to decompress.
    > > rebecca
    > >
    > > "Byte" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You can do a Search of your harddrive for the fxsperf.dll file. But, you
    > >> should already have a copy of it in: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386
    > >> If it is listed as fxsperf.dl_ that means it is zipped/compressed.
    > >> If it is listed as fxsperf.dll then you can copy/paste or drag and drop
    > >> it.

Fax Microsoft Windows XP