Sign in with
Your question

D'oh Scratched the thermal tape

Last response: in Overclocking
July 17, 2002 9:16:49 PM

My finger nail scratched the thermal tape on the bottom of the Intel stock fan. It went right across it. Is this a major problem ? Does not seem like it would be but I wanted to check first. The scratch is not very wide but it shows through the black to silver.

Sorry for all the dumb questions...

More about : scratched thermal tape

July 17, 2002 9:20:00 PM

Nah, it's ok, I've done worse. While I was first seating my HSF on my P4, it wasn't rested properly. I took the HSF off and there was thermal paste on the CPU but it didn't hurt anything when I put the HSF back on.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:
July 18, 2002 3:54:52 AM

I recently took apart my dad's computer. I'm not sure what kind of interfacing material was used between the heat sink and the processor, but it was sorta custy. So some of it came off with the heat sink and some stayed stuck to the processor. Anyways, I had the same fear about turning the computer back on, but I'm using it right now, and it's been a few days since I did this, so I'm betting that you'll be ok aswell. By the way, my dad's computer is using a 433 Mhz celeron ( ok, don't burst out laughing please ) and the heat sink didn't have a fan ( I didn't design the computer ok ;)  ).

I've also taken the heatsink off of a p4 2.0 Ghz (willamette core?) from an oem compueter (gateway) and there wasn't even ANY interfacing material. It still works just fine (minus that virus, windows;) ), if that'll make you even more confident.

There's nothing worse than a computer discussion gone personal...
Related resources
July 19, 2002 3:46:02 AM

alright newbs
thermal tape and grease is just a method to help cool down the cpu, it fills the groovs between the heatsink and the cpu die, using or even speaking about using thermal tape on a cpu is FORBIDDEN!!! spend ten bucks and get a tube of arctic silver 3 grease. for gods sake

Introducing Tapeworms! The new big thing for weight loss!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 21, 2002 7:45:07 AM

Intel's thermal tape works fine.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
July 21, 2002 8:21:22 AM

With out any thermal inteface on my 1800 it ran baout 10 hotter (C). crazy? indeed, I wa forced to use crappy silicone that came w/ Dragon Orb 3. Getting AS3 soon.
July 28, 2002 12:33:42 AM

Intel's thermal tape is fine. Only get ASIII if you plan on overclocking. The thermal tape is adequate for the rated speed.

:lol:  Finally, I get a capitalized title!! WOOT!! :lol: 
July 29, 2002 6:44:54 AM

why AS3? i read a review in which TherMagic beat it by a few degrees..
July 29, 2002 10:55:57 AM

It's OK. You're a lucky you gotta P4, not XP.

<font color=orange>ÃÎËßÌ ÇÀËÚÊ ËÀÏÍÈ, ÃÎËßÌÀ ÙÀÍÃÀ ÂÄÈÃÍÈ!</font color=orange>
July 29, 2002 11:34:49 PM

the review was wrong

I'll tell you what war's good for: killing bad guys. thats what!
July 30, 2002 12:59:57 AM

I would stick with as3 cause that thermagic stuff tends to seperate and who knows how it will act after a few months or a year I dont trust my cpu to anything but arctic silver

I'll tell you what war's good for: killing bad guys. thats what!
!