EQ2 - ATI Card problems

Hi

Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.

Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
EQ2 fine.

Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.
17 answers Last reply
More about card problems

    >Hi
    >
    >Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >
    >Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    >issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    >EQ2 fine.
    >
    >Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.

    I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    drivers.

    "Nick" <nsub1@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >
    > Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    > issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    > EQ2 fine.
    >
    > Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.

    I had the same problem when i went with the newest drivers i backed them off
    to 6.14.10.6444 and it works fine.

    Joe D wrote:
    > I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    > started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    > drivers.

    A lot of people are having problems with the newest drivers from ATI
    (at least in EQ2). If you stay a couple versions back you should be
    OK. I'm running the ones that came with my card (don't remember what
    driver version that is) and it works perfectly fine.

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >>
    >>Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    >>issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    >>EQ2 fine.
    >>
    >>Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.
    >>

    >I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    >started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    >drivers.

    My solution was to "dumb" down the video features using the EQII
    options menu. Lowered performance, eliminated shadows and a couple of
    others that I can't recall right now.

    "Nick" <nsub1@btinternet.com> crashed Echelon writing

    > Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and
    > crashing issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end
    > FX card runs EQ2 fine.

    And which mighty fine driver are you running with?

    --
    Bjarke Andersen
    Wanna reply by email? Remove the spammer in address

    Joe D a écrit :

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >>
    >>Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    >>issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    >>EQ2 fine.
    >>
    >>Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.
    >>

    >I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    >started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    >drivers.

    Same here, Radeon9800.
    Back to drivers version 6.14.10.6517 (march 05) and everything's OK.
    Strange hmm ?

    Tonio La Goule <nelsonox@yahoo.fr> wrote in

    > Joe D a écrit :
    >
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >>>
    >>>Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and
    >>>crashing issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low
    >>>end FX card runs EQ2 fine.
    >>>
    >>>Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.
    >>>

    >>I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    >>started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    >>drivers.
    >>

    > Same here, Radeon9800.
    > Back to drivers version 6.14.10.6517 (march 05) and everything's OK.
    > Strange hmm ?

    Never upgraded my drivers with a 9800 pro, never had the problems...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
    Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner

    Drivers are the Sony recommended ones. Catalyst 5.2 6.14.10.6517

    Tried various other including Omega ATI one - still have the same problem

    Joe D a écrit :

    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >>>
    >>>Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    >>>issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    >>>EQ2 fine.
    >>>
    >>>Apart from EQ2 I have no problems with any other programmes or games.
    >>>

    >>I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    >>started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    >>drivers.
    >>

    >My solution was to "dumb" down the video features using the EQII
    >options menu. Lowered performance, eliminated shadows and a couple of
    >others that I can't recall right now.

    But what's the point of having a R9800 and lowering graphics ? It worked
    fine with the old drivers, why not with the new ?
    I guess SOE will point ATI's drivers and ATI will point EQ2 engine.

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:28:58 +0200, Tonio La Goule <nelsonox@yahoo.fr>
    wrote:

    >>>I am using a 9800 and have had the same VPU issues. Appears to have
    >>>started in the last week and am running CATALYST 05.6 and 65.42
    >>>drivers.
    >>>

    >>My solution was to "dumb" down the video features using the EQII
    >>options menu. Lowered performance, eliminated shadows and a couple of
    >>others that I can't recall right now.
    >>

    >But what's the point of having a R9800 and lowering graphics ? It worked
    >fine with the old drivers, why not with the new ?
    >I guess SOE will point ATI's drivers and ATI will point EQ2 engine.

    I agree with you, however I was unable to locate the earlier version
    drivers on the ATI site and you know how we need the EQ fix. Prudence
    just takes over at times, lol.

    In article <JF7ze.170718$3V6.11495@fe04.news.easynews.com>,
    Nick <nsub1@btinternet.com> wrote:

    >Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    >
    >Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and crashing
    >issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end FX card runs
    >EQ2 fine.

    Yeah. It's happened to me as well. On June 25, 2 Saturdays ago, EQ2 was
    fine. On the 26th, I couldn't play for more than 2 minutes without it
    locking up, requiring a power-off to fix. Seems to be a Radeon thing,
    apparently Sony and ATI might be working on it. There's a few posts about
    it in the tech support forums on the EQ2 web site. For me, I upgraded from
    the 5.1 drivers to the 5.2 drivers, and now I can play for 2 to 90 minutes
    without it locking up. Yippie.

    Anyway, you're not alone. Some of the forum posters have suggestions that
    may work for you. Good luck.

    Roger Bonzer | There's this guy. And he falls in a vat of
    minotaur@hurloon.net | radioactive chemicals and instead of getting

    Graeme Faelban wrote:
    > minotaur@agora.rdrop.com (Roger Bonzer) wrote in
    >
    > > In article <JF7ze.170718$3V6.11495@fe04.news.easynews.com>,
    > > Nick <nsub1@btinternet.com> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>Anyone else having problems with an ATI card and EQ2.
    > >>
    > >>Have a Radeon 700pro 256mb. Been having VPU error messages and
    > >>crashing issues for the last two weeks. Second computer with a low end
    > >>FX card runs EQ2 fine.
    > >
    > > Yeah. It's happened to me as well. On June 25, 2 Saturdays ago, EQ2
    > > was fine. On the 26th, I couldn't play for more than 2 minutes without
    > > it locking up, requiring a power-off to fix. Seems to be a Radeon
    > > thing, apparently Sony and ATI might be working on it. There's a few
    > > posts about it in the tech support forums on the EQ2 web site. For me,
    > > I upgraded from the 5.1 drivers to the 5.2 drivers, and now I can play
    > > for 2 to 90 minutes without it locking up. Yippie.
    > >
    > > Anyway, you're not alone. Some of the forum posters have suggestions
    > > that may work for you. Good luck.
    > >

    > Odd, I've been playing EQ2 all along and encounter no such problems,
    > running a 9800 Pro, with catalyst 5.2 I think it is. Not sure on the
    > drivers themselves off hand, have not upgraded them in ages.

    Yeah, I haven't had any problems at all with my cards (9800Pro then
    X800) either. The friends I gave my old card to hasn't had any
    problems either. I wonder if it is a conflict between some system
    configurations and the driver? It surprised me to hear people were
    having problems with them.

    minotaur@agora.rdrop.com (Roger Bonzer) crashed Echelon writing

    > Seems to be a Radeon thing,
    > apparently Sony and ATI might be working on it.

    Rather than might, why dont you send off your problems to ATi driver
    feedback, then they might be able to fix the problem.

    --

    In article <Xns968D7EDCA5E5Bbjoegdk@212.242.40.170>,
    Bjarke Andersen <bjoeg@*spammer*bjoeg.dk> wrote:
    >minotaur@agora.rdrop.com (Roger Bonzer) crashed Echelon writing
    >
    >> Seems to be a Radeon thing,
    >> apparently Sony and ATI might be working on it.
    >
    >Rather than might, why dont you send off your problems to ATi driver
    >feedback, then they might be able to fix the problem.

    ATI will fix my annoying coworkers? Righteous!

    Truthfully, though, I'm just not that good at tracking down hardware or
    system software problems. Right now all I know for sure is that playing
    eq2 locks my box up within 90 minutes. I've done virus scans, upgraded
    video drivers, memory checks, cpu fan tests, etc. Nothing so far has made
    the problem go away. Upgrading the video driver changed the MTBF from 2
    minutes to ~20 minutes, so I'm leaning towards it being video related, but
    of course that doesn't eliminate the driver, the video card, or eq2 itself
    from the playing field. I was hoping this weekend to swap video cards with
    my brother (we have the same type of card) to see if that will make a
    difference. I'd definitely like to go to tech support with something more
    to go on than "my game crashed -- fix it!"

    As you seem to be interested in helping with the problem, feel free to
    offer suggestions on how I can eliminate suspects or finger the guilty.

    Roger Bonzer | There's this guy. And he falls in a vat of
    minotaur@hurloon.net | radioactive chemicals and instead of getting
    | superpowers like you'd expect, he just dies.
    | -- Ronnie, Zot #31
  16. I have an ATI HD 3800 series and in EQ2 the trees are block style and the lights are funny looking. I played before with a NVidia card with no graphics problems...I can run the game in max graphics or low graphics with no change in trees or bushes any ideas? I think that I got the latest drivers to try to fix the problem with no results.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated =)
    Kenneth
  17. Try the omega drivers for either nvidia or ati cards, I used to play eq2 for 3 years and these drivers take the best parts of old and new drivers for each respective card and make a new set for whatever card you are using.

    http://www.omegadrivers.net/omega_drivers.php

    It fixed my eq2 crashing problem on a radeon sapphire 9600pro back when I was still playing. Give it a go.

Games ATI Video Games