Cooling Dilemna

Roasis

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I'm having a huge problem and i can't figure out what it is. I just recently switched out to an ABIT KR7A mobo and am having a huge heat problem. i start up at 1400(what my processor is) and it doesnt start to idle until about 62 C. i underclock to a gig and it doesnt idle until 55. if i go down to 800 mhz with a 100 fsb then my comp will stay stable at about 47 C. i used to idle at 47 C at 1485 mhz. so i reseat the heatsink (ocz ice). that doesnt help any. reset the cmos to make sure it wasnt a setting. switched out powersupplies. tried a different heatsink (it was only rated up to about 900 mhz or a gig) and it is still way too hot. tried a differnt processor with that heatsink. switched out fans on my heatsink. my case temp is about 33 C. i just ordered a ocz dominator 2. it wont be here until next week friday. so if that doesnt fix the problem i have no clue what else will. i was wondering if it its possible that my processor is messed up. the thermal paste on top always looks kind of brown before i reapply it. my friend was helping me and rubbed some thermal on with his finger. i know that isnt good but i dont think it would cause that much of an increase in heat!

any help would be much appreciated!
thanks,
aaron

System:
AMD T-bird 1400
ABIT KR7A
256 DDR 2100 Crucial Ram
Geforce 3 Ti500

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Pardon my abscence, I've been out of the game for a while, but it seems to me that if all hardware is the same except the motherboard, then that is the culprit. You didn't say what you are using to monitor the temperature. Seems to me that the 2 motherboards are using different ways to monitor the cpu temperature and that is where the difference is.

Of course that's just my 2 cents.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."