Unwanted print confirmation pop-ups

I just recently installed SP2 for WinXP and now I'm getting these little
cartoon dialog boxes informing me that I've printed something. I've checked
everywhere imaginable to turn them off. They are very annoying and won't go
away without clicking on them. It's happening with every printer, so it's
not the printer driver. And it didn't happen before I installed SP2. And
everyone in my office that has installed SP2 has the same problem. Any ideas?

Byte

I do not know of any XPs features that will cause that. You did not state
what printing software you are using. Have you scanned for possible
spyware/malware?
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition - Download Free version and Run It!

"Richd00d" wrote:

> I just recently installed SP2 for WinXP and now I'm getting these little
> cartoon dialog boxes informing me that I've printed something. I've checked
> everywhere imaginable to turn them off. They are very annoying and won't go
> away without clicking on them. It's happening with every printer, so it's
> not the printer driver. And it didn't happen before I installed SP2. And
> everyone in my office that has installed SP2 has the same problem. Any ideas?

http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=249

There is a registry setting you can turn off.

--
A McGuire
"Richd00d" <Richd00d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just recently installed SP2 for WinXP and now I'm getting these little
> cartoon dialog boxes informing me that I've printed something. I've
> checked
> everywhere imaginable to turn them off. They are very annoying and won't
> go
> away without clicking on them. It's happening with every printer, so it's
> not the printer driver. And it didn't happen before I installed SP2. And
> everyone in my office that has installed SP2 has the same problem. Any
> ideas?

I have XP Professional and couldn't find the registry setting in that article
(EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote). I did find a number of Tray Balloon
references and changed them to zero, but that didn't help. But, at least
it's a lead! Thanks!!!

"A McGuire" wrote:

> http://www.sanx.org/tipShow.asp?articleRef=249
>
> There is a registry setting you can turn off.
>
> --
> A McGuire
> "Richd00d" <Richd00d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just recently installed SP2 for WinXP and now I'm getting these little
> > cartoon dialog boxes informing me that I've printed something. I've
> > checked
> > everywhere imaginable to turn them off. They are very annoying and won't
> > go
> > away without clicking on them. It's happening with every printer, so it's
> > not the printer driver. And it didn't happen before I installed SP2. And
> > everyone in my office that has installed SP2 has the same problem. Any
> > ideas?

I did some additional web research on that registry setting
(EnableBalloonNotifyRemote) and found that it isn't typically there. You
have to ADD it with a value of zero to get the dang pop-ups turned off.

Apparently Microsoft added a ton of new pop-ups in SP2, none of which can be
turned off without hacking the registry.