14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
My mobo/BIOS hasno visible way of adjustign hte multiplier. I've all ready filled in the L1 trench and am now looking for "silver laquer" (if you can tell me where to get some it would be appreciated) but is there a point? will a new option show in BIOS?
thanks,
14D

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
right, I have a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+ w/ a kt266A chipset, athlon xp 1800+, BIOS is AMI BIOS. Turns out that on my mobo, there is a place for a switch to adjust the multiplier. The switch isnt there (its on the next model up or something) but the contacts are, so if i just run some laquer between them it should work.

datajunkie

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
You can't use "silver" lacquer alone to unlock an XP CPU. You first have to put something non-conductive (ie silicon grease etc)in the laser etched gaps that separate the L1 bridges. Go to sharkeyextreme.com. They have an excellent how-to on unlocking XP CPUs. Once you unlock your CPU the jumper setting should work for changinf the multipier. Good Luck. BTW, highspeed.com sells a nice unlocking kit for about 11 bucks I think. It has enough stuff to unlock a ton of CPUs and is nice because its easily removable if you ever need to cash in on a broken CPU.

Show me the Data. No ticket, No laundry!

14Dx

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
I had already filled the gap (with super glue) and unlocked it yesterday (using a "silver pen" meant for tracing circuits). To adjust the multi I have to cut 5 traces on my mobo and then redraw them. Still considering it, don't think I will though because of risk.