Fax Console & Internet Connection Wizard

I have one XP workstation (out of 20) on my network that has this problem:

Using the Windows XP Fax Console, when I right-click on a fax and select
Mail To... (or click the Mail To button on the toolbar), the Internet
Connection Wizard starts. All of the other machines bring up a new Outlook
message with the fax as an attachment. How do I get this workstation to
perform like that?

Thanks.
Tony
10 answers Last reply
More about console internet connection wizard

    You R click on a Fax?
    Where and how did you create this "fax?"
    What Outlook/Office version?
    List your steps more clearly.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "tlkerns" <tlkerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have one XP workstation (out of 20) on my network that has this problem:
    >
    > Using the Windows XP Fax Console, when I right-click on a fax and select
    > Mail To... (or click the Mail To button on the toolbar), the Internet
    > Connection Wizard starts. All of the other machines bring up a new
    > Outlook
    > message with the fax as an attachment. How do I get this workstation to
    > perform like that?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Tony

    We receive our faxes via a fax modem and view and route them through e-mail
    using the Windows XP Fax Console. I can get a fax from either the Inbox or
    the Sent Items folder. From there it is as I said before.

    Tony

    "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

    > You R click on a Fax?
    > Where and how did you create this "fax?"
    > What Outlook/Office version?
    > List your steps more clearly.
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "tlkerns" <tlkerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have one XP workstation (out of 20) on my network that has this problem:
    > >
    > > Using the Windows XP Fax Console, when I right-click on a fax and select
    > > Mail To... (or click the Mail To button on the toolbar), the Internet
    > > Connection Wizard starts. All of the other machines bring up a new
    > > Outlook
    > > message with the fax as an attachment. How do I get this workstation to
    > > perform like that?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > Tony

    Interesting, since Windows XP Fax no longer supports routing to an email
    Inbox.
    Explain more accurately, please.
    --
    > We receive our faxes via a fax modem and view and route them through
    > e-mail
    > using the Windows XP Fax Console. I can get a fax from either the Inbox
    > or
    > the Sent Items folder. From there it is as I said before.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> You R click on a Fax?
    >> Where and how did you create this "fax?"
    >> What Outlook/Office version?
    >> List your steps more clearly.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "tlkerns" <tlkerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have one XP workstation (out of 20) on my network that has this
    >> >problem:
    >> >
    >> > Using the Windows XP Fax Console, when I right-click on a fax and
    >> > select
    >> > Mail To... (or click the Mail To button on the toolbar), the Internet
    >> > Connection Wizard starts. All of the other machines bring up a new
    >> > Outlook
    >> > message with the fax as an attachment. How do I get this workstation
    >> > perform like that?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > Tony

    "tlkerns" <tlkerns@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have one XP workstation (out of 20) on my network that has this
    >problem:
    >
    > Using the Windows XP Fax Console, when I right-click on a fax and
    > select
    > Mail To... (or click the Mail To button on the toolbar), the
    > Internet
    > Connection Wizard starts. All of the other machines bring up a
    > new Outlook
    > message with the fax as an attachment. How do I get this
    > workstation to
    > perform like that?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > Tony

    Check in Internet Options (Right-Click on IE icon/Properties) to
    make sure Never Dial a Connection is checked under Connections.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    > Interesting, since Windows XP Fax no longer supports routing to an
    > email Inbox.
    > Explain more accurately, please.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    The feature is supported if you have Outlook using Fax Mail
    Transport. A tif file is attached to a new email message window.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    No it isn't. Only sending faxes from Outlook is supported. Incoming faxes
    cannot be routed to Outlook. Well documented:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q311794&ID=KB;EN-US;Q311794
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    > No it isn't. Only sending faxes from Outlook is supported.
    > Incoming faxes cannot be routed to Outlook. Well documented:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q311794&ID=KB;EN-US;Q311794
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]

    It works with Outlook 2003.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Routing received faxes to Outlook's Inbox with Windows XP Fax works with no
    version of Outlook. I would love to see evidence to the contrary. By
    Microsoft's own admission that feature was removed.
    --

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> No it isn't. Only sending faxes from Outlook is supported. Incoming faxes
    >> cannot be routed to Outlook. Well documented:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q311794&ID=KB;EN-US;Q311794
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > It works with Outlook 2003.
    >
    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    > Routing received faxes to Outlook's Inbox with Windows XP Fax
    > works with no version of Outlook. I would love to see evidence to
    > the contrary. By Microsoft's own admission that feature was
    > removed.
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]

    This is the scenario I perceive with the original poster. Each of
    the workstations on his network has fax modems connected to the
    telephone network. Whether each as its own number is unclear. One
    of the workstations receives a fax. The operator of that
    workstation emails the fax, just as you can any file on a computer,
    as an attachment to a email message to some or all of the other
    workstations. Outlook should use the established connection setting
    in Internet Explorer to send the message. In the case of the errant
    Windows XP workstation, the Internet connection is messed up and the
    Wizard starts to setup a new connection. By configuring the
    connection the same as the other workstations, the problem would be
    solved.

    For the workstation originally receiving the fax, a copy would be
    present in the Sent Items folder. For those receiving a copy of the
    fax by email, a copy would be in the Inbox. No one said that the
    original incoming fax would be in the Inbox of the receiving
    workstation.

    I will admit that this is not a fax problem per se, but is an
    Internet connection problem. The original poster might have been
    brushed off in another newsgroup, just as you did here.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I see. That makes sense. The email routing is being done manually, then.
    You were much better at reading between the lines than I. That was why I
    kept asking for clarification as to what the actual steps were that produced
    the behavior. And, indeed, the issue has nothing to do with the XP fax
    software or its integration with Outlook. But knowing what the default email
    software is and how it is configured would be necessary to arrive at a
    solution.
    --

    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Routing received faxes to Outlook's Inbox with Windows XP Fax works with
    >> no version of Outlook. I would love to see evidence to the contrary. By
    >> Microsoft's own admission that feature was removed.
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >
    > This is the scenario I perceive with the original poster. Each of the
    > workstations on his network has fax modems connected to the telephone
    > network. Whether each as its own number is unclear. One of the
    > workstations receives a fax. The operator of that workstation emails the
    > fax, just as you can any file on a computer, as an attachment to a email
    > message to some or all of the other workstations. Outlook should use the
    > established connection setting in Internet Explorer to send the message.
    > In the case of the errant Windows XP workstation, the Internet connection
    > is messed up and the Wizard starts to setup a new connection. By
    > configuring the connection the same as the other workstations, the problem
    > would be solved.
    >
    > For the workstation originally receiving the fax, a copy would be present
    > in the Sent Items folder. For those receiving a copy of the fax by email,
    > a copy would be in the Inbox. No one said that the original incoming fax
    > would be in the Inbox of the receiving workstation.
    >
    > I will admit that this is not a fax problem per se, but is an Internet
    > connection problem. The original poster might have been brushed off in
    > another newsgroup, just as you did here.
    >

    > --
    > Earl F. Parrish

Workstations Fax Consoles Internet Connection Windows XP