Panasonic KX-P1180 printing problems

The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page when
I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters and
it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
where the problem is and how to fix it?
5 answers Last reply
More about panasonic p1180 printing problems

    Panasonic KXP 1180 printer is a Dot Matrix printer and retails for about $180
    The drivers for that printer are in the WinXP DLL (Dynamic Link Library) to
    manually install. Connect the printer to its parallel port and then go to:
    Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>on the left under Printer Tasks>
    click Add a printer and just follow the prompts. Your printer has built-in
    fonts, check on what yours is set to, it should be on Courier and powered ON
    to install properly. When done, reboot your PC for the drivers to install.

    "Hopeless" wrote:

    > The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page when
    > I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
    > automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
    > properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters and
    > it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
    > where the problem is and how to fix it?

    Has this printer ever operated properly with this computer with the Windows
    XP operating system?

    If no:

    The usual problem that gives the symptoms you describe is the setting for
    the LPT port in the computer's BIOS. If set for EPP or ECP or ESC&EPP, it
    can happen that the data is sent to the printer too rapidly.

    The fix at your disposal is to change the setting for the port the printer
    uses to standard parallel port. The language used for the setting differs as
    between BIOSs. Look for something like SPP, bi-directional printer port,
    standard or the like.

    OK out and save the setting change.

    Allow the computer to re-boot.

    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Hopeless" <Hopeless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page
    when
    : I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
    : automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
    : properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters
    and
    : it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
    : where the problem is and how to fix it?

    Tried that before. Doesn't work. It is set at Courier and power on. Thanks
    for the e reply.

    "Byte" wrote:

    > Panasonic KXP 1180 printer is a Dot Matrix printer and retails for about $180
    > The drivers for that printer are in the WinXP DLL (Dynamic Link Library) to
    > manually install. Connect the printer to its parallel port and then go to:
    > Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>on the left under Printer Tasks>
    > click Add a printer and just follow the prompts. Your printer has built-in
    > fonts, check on what yours is set to, it should be on Courier and powered ON
    > to install properly. When done, reboot your PC for the drivers to install.
    >
    > "Hopeless" wrote:
    >
    > > The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page when
    > > I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
    > > automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
    > > properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters and
    > > it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
    > > where the problem is and how to fix it?

    Do not quit so soon! Are you getting error messages and if any what do
    they state? What does it do when you try to add the printer? Does XP find
    the driver in its library? Please repost, some readers may be reading this
    post and are having similar problems and could benefit from your results.

    "Jack Doyle" wrote:

    > Tried that before. Doesn't work. It is set at Courier and power on. Thanks
    > for the e reply.
    >
    > "Byte" wrote:
    >
    > > Panasonic KXP 1180 printer is a Dot Matrix printer and retails for about $180
    > > The drivers for that printer are in the WinXP DLL (Dynamic Link Library) to
    > > manually install. Connect the printer to its parallel port and then go to:
    > > Start>Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>on the left under Printer Tasks>
    > > click Add a printer and just follow the prompts. Your printer has built-in
    > > fonts, check on what yours is set to, it should be on Courier and powered ON
    > > to install properly. When done, reboot your PC for the drivers to install.
    > >
    > > "Hopeless" wrote:
    > >
    > > > The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page when
    > > > I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
    > > > automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
    > > > properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters and
    > > > it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
    > > > where the problem is and how to fix it?

    Yes. I have discovered that it will print with word perfect but converted
    files from microsoft office just give a bunch of character and symbols.
    Don't know why.

    Definitely a problem somewhere. My computer had the explorer removed and
    other items changed. Fortunately, back up took it back to good settings for
    the program. microsoft downloaded the sp2 package yesterday and maybe that
    will solve the problems. Spy bot, Ad Aware and microsoft anti virus all say
    nothing is wrong.

    Thanks for the reply. If I can only use word perfect to print, i can live
    with that.

    "Thomas Ferguson" wrote:

    > Has this printer ever operated properly with this computer with the Windows
    > XP operating system?
    >
    > If no:
    >
    > The usual problem that gives the symptoms you describe is the setting for
    > the LPT port in the computer's BIOS. If set for EPP or ECP or ESC&EPP, it
    > can happen that the data is sent to the printer too rapidly.
    >
    > The fix at your disposal is to change the setting for the port the printer
    > uses to standard parallel port. The language used for the setting differs as
    > between BIOSs. Look for something like SPP, bi-directional printer port,
    > standard or the like.
    >
    > OK out and save the setting change.
    >
    > Allow the computer to re-boot.
    >
    > Let us know.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Hopeless" <Hopeless@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > : The self testing on the printer tests ok. It will print out a test page
    > when
    > : I set up the printer ok. XP did not recognize the printer to set it up
    > : automatically and I had to install it manually. I had one page print
    > : properly from Corel. After that, it just prints a bunch of charachters
    > and
    > : it seems to load thebuffer in the printer up with garbage. Any ideas of
    > : where the problem is and how to fix it?

Printers Microsoft Panasonic Windows XP