Compaq Presario 5204 maximum upgrade

Hello, I bought my computer in 99, it came with a 4gb HD, by Maxtor, a
k6-2 350 mhz processor, and 64mb of memory, I have just purchased a
K6-2 550 mhz processor and am looking at a Maxtor 20gb ide HD, will my
present system board a socket 7 be ok or should I replace it with a
super 7 for the new processor, I am looking at purchasing a socket
7/370 quiet cpu cooling fan and heatsink unit with tx3 connection,
will this be ok for new processor, any help you can give me with
regards to the above will be greatly appreciated, I will be upgrading
my ram and I can handle that part, thanks, bob aka bobodeb

--
bobodeb
1 answer Last reply

    You will need to reset 2 jumpers on the systemboard for the new processor,
    JP1 for the clock multiplier and JP3 for the CPU voltage. Their locations
    and settings are in the Maintenance & Service Guide for your 5200 series
    Presario located here:

    http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5000/

    Re: the hard drive, there may be an 8GB limit in BIOS. No BIOS update will
    fix that. If you install a larger drive and only 8GB shows, you have 2
    choices. One, drive overlay software from your HD's mfgr. This will slow
    things down significantly. Or two, spend $20 on a PCI IDE controller card
    with its own BIOS.
    HH

    "bobodeb" <bobodeb.1kvzw1@news.computerbanter.com> wrote in message

    > Hello, I bought my computer in 99, it came with a 4gb HD, by Maxtor, a
    > k6-2 350 mhz processor, and 64mb of memory, I have just purchased a
    > K6-2 550 mhz processor and am looking at a Maxtor 20gb ide HD, will my
    > present system board a socket 7 be ok or should I replace it with a
    > super 7 for the new processor, I am looking at purchasing a socket
    > 7/370 quiet cpu cooling fan and heatsink unit with tx3 connection,
    > will this be ok for new processor, any help you can give me with
    > regards to the above will be greatly appreciated, I will be upgrading
    > my ram and I can handle that part, thanks, bob aka bobodeb
    >

    > --
    > bobodeb

Compaq Processors Computers