Lenovo Launches Six New ThinkPad Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I could use one of these, but I say that on every article.

Tom's, Please review 3 of them, the lowest-end version with mid-end and high-end.
I'm on my way, looking for a laptop to replace my old 1323TX.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Do ThinkPads still have that stupid little "eraser mouse"?[/citation]

A very G-rated named for something with so many crude names... But yes! Yes, they do.

RobinPanties

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]Do ThinkPads still have that stupid little "eraser mouse"?[/citation]
Look at the picture, there's a touchpad at the bottom.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
There is something wrong with "15 and 30" hours of battery life. I seriously don't think so. They are typically about 3~5 hours.

Well CRAP...!! Lenovo has degraded the T4xx with its "NEW 16:9" screen! (Lots of cursing) Hate the 16:9 on notebooks, its not needed and it looks ODD on the 14" ThinkPad T420. The bezel area has tons of bare plastic, it looks like crap. I was looking forward to buying a T420 to replace my older ThinkPad.

With the current T410/510... the 14" screen is JUST as high as the 15.6" screen. You get a notebook that is more than an inch narrower, a bit thinner and without the 16x9 - yet still wide screen.

Typically for developers business users. all work no fun.
Its more fun to use a notebook with a screen you can see without seeing your own reflection or the ENTIRE ROOM shining back at you. You're paying a bit more for the tougher body and excellent keyboard.

Looking that the photos... these new models are using 2010 bodies... which are fine.
With such WIDE speaker bezels on the side - they might as well have thrown in a numeric keypad for the 15" model.

At least the screens are non-glossey, unlike the other 98% of the notebooks on the market.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
What is so great about these Thinkpads? I don't see these business notebooks doing anything that a nice gaming notebook by Asus or Alienware can do. What is the advantage?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Either use one or do some research.

An Alienware gaming notebook doesn't belong in a business meeting doing million dollar deals.

In terms of performance, HD, memory... its like ANY other notebook.

ThinkPads have these features not found on any notebooks, or rare business class from HP and Dell.

1 - non-glossy crap screen (but you lose the contrast)
2 - A real keyboard... with excellent layout. Not the island keys thats on everyones notebooks.
3 - crash cages for body and screen (15" models don't get it for the screen) - ie: there is a structure alloy under the plastic. (L series is weak)
4 - liquid channels... you can pour your energy drink on the keyboard without frying the computer.
5 - Crash cage for hard drive
6 - LED light shines on keyboard (okay, lame)
7 - No garbageware preinstalled.

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
As a proud owner of a T61 and T410, I have to say I prefer the 16:9 widescreen, with out all of the plastic frills. Thinkpads are, hands down, some of the best built laptops in the world. I find I use the "lame" LED light alot in low light conditions. And the red cursor in the middle of the keyboard is a signature Thinkpad trait. I wont even get started on how amazing the Thinkpad keyboard is.

G

[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]7 - No garbageware preinstalled.[/citation]

That one should be no 1 in the list!

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
If you have to ask yourself why bother getting a Thinkpad over an Asus, you are best off not getting one. That said, some things I like about the T-series of Thinkpads include their near indestructible nature, dual-drive support, matte display, high-nit outdoor optional displays, docking station support, long battery life, external battery option, multi-touch display options, switchable discrete graphics option, very little bloatware, amazing keyboards, and the fact they all look so utterly retro.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]That one should be no 1 in the list![/citation]
first thing i do on any new notebook, is reinstall windows, its a force of habit.
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]A very G-rated named for something with so many crude names... But yes! Yes, they do.[/citation]

i love that mouse. i freakin HATE those touch pads with a passion. i have a mini usb mouse just because i hate them, and i have to use that mouse on the back of a freakin car seat, and STILL prefer it to a touchpad.

now, if i had a nipple, id use that unless i have a good flat surface.

G

Black is sleek...plus, they hit 8 Mil Spec ratings for:
Low Pressure – Tests operation at 15,000 feet
Humidity – Cycles 95 percent humidity through the environment
Vibration (operational and non-operational)
High Temperature – Simulates high heat conditions by baking the laptop up to 140°F
Low Temperature – Tests operation at -4°F
Temperature Shock – Fluctuates between -4 and up to 140°F to test operation
Dust – Blows dust for an extended amount of time..

So...if you want a tough system, get a Thinkpad...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
8 - Docking stations. Does Alienware have docking stations? There are typically 3 PRO types that are available for ThinkPad. 1- USB with optional power (lame), 2- USB, power, basic connectors (DVI, PS/2), Top-end = support for dual monitor displays. eSATA, USB, ethernet, etc...

9 - ThinkPad W series (Workstation) have NVIDIA Quadro cards which are needed by some pros. A normal or gaming notebook will not cut it.

[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]That one should be no 1 in the list![/citation]
When buying an HP, Dell, Gateway, etc... of course. But I only buy ThinkPads for the past 4 years... I remove a few lenovo/ThinkPad tools that are not needed, but some of them are quite good... like Network & power management exceeds Windows7.

[citation][nom]bhaberle[/nom]Why does Lenovo have to make such ugly looking notebooks. Sigh.[/citation]

They are not shiney. Doesn't make them ugly. Why does everyone else sell notebooks with horrible glossy screens? I think they look pretty good. Keyboard is a big seller. But Lenovo does make the ThinkPad L-Series which has a modern look with some ThinkPad features such as normal shaped keys - but not ThinkPad layout. ThinkPad Edge has very much the modern look with business style... its low end.

Then theres the Lenovo IdeaPads, which are quite sharp looking, which HP has been taking some cues from... but with no ThinkPad features.

ThinkPad T and W series are govt. / Military rated.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I'm a bit of a ThinkPad, I'd have to say.
I love that thing - I've always preferred it over a trackpad or whatever it's called.

verax

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Lenovo T520 i5 owner experience: Defective hard drive, really bad mfr. attitude. Difficulty in transferring contents of old to replacement drive (refurbished, not new) resulted in $174. invoice for old drive; accounting rep refused to acknowledge the issue. Company attitude toward customer trying to deal with defective product is as important as product reputation in the long run, so think about whether you want to have to pay (more than its worth) for refurbished replacement parts and/or take a year off your life trying to win the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.