Normal CPU Temp?

Seekie

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
Hello all,
Can someone tell me what a normal CPU tempature range is.
I have an AMD Athlon tbird 1.4Ghz. Not overclocked.My CPU temp is between 59-64c depending if I have the door closed where the tower sits in.
Also, If I wanted to change my cpu fan, would I add more thermal grease even though the thermal tape from the current fan has melted on the cpu?
Thank you

jkadesjo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I have a Athlin XP 1800+. It runs at 44 degrees. I have two extra intakefans that pushes air into the cpu area.

EPoX 8KHA+
Athlon XP 1800+
ATI Radeon 8500 Retail
IBM 120GXP
SB Live! Player 5.1

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
You might think about drilling some big holes in the door of your computer desk and putting a speaker cover or something over it so it looks nice. I would say 59 is too hot for any extended period.

Mine was running at 50-55C until I bought a volcano 7+, now it's down around 35-40C. But also have a window fan at the side of the case so it always has fresh air.

What are your case temps when the door is closed and what are they when it is open?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bardic on 07/23/02 02:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CrazyTalk742

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Hey seekie,
It does sound like your system is running pretty hot, especially for a thunderbird. You might want to try adding some 80mm fans to increase circulation inside the case as well as a new heatsink. I recommend some 80mm vantec stealth fans (you should put at least one in the front blowing in and one in the back blowing out) and any thermaltake volcano heatsink.
-CrazyTalk742

pcilliterate

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2001
Yes that is toooo hot, should be 40-50C or less!

What heatsink fan are you using on the CPU?

Thermal tape sux! Get some artic silver-III paste, carefully clean off the thermal tape and around the cpu core with either of the following; rubbing alcohol and/or hot soapy water remembering to dry it properly afterwards. Be careful not to scratch or gouge the HSF base where the cpu mates when you scrap off that tape. Do a final clean with rubbing alcohol if you like, squeeze some of the artic silver goo on to the rectangular CPU core and not anywhere else (about the size of a grain of rice) and spread it out thinly with a plastic credit card or simular, insert the CPU back in the socket properly, then carefully install the HSF back on. Some say to then remove hsf and clean off the AS goo using a clean cloth (not using any cleaning agent) and repeat the procedure of adding the goo and HSF.

See how that goes first, it should improve the temps considerably, however I would look at case fans to assist in system temperatures as well.

Happy Hunting!

Be on the look out for <A HREF="http://www.austmus.gov.au/thylacine/" target="_new">Thylacinus cynocephalus</A>

CompIliterate

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2002
But aren't the TT CPU fan loud? It only runs at 27dba if your case temp is 25c. My case temp is around 35 and my TT case fan A1214 is pretty loud, it is running at 50,000rpm at 39dba.

cakecake

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I'd actually say it's safe to run your processor up to 60 C when it's a hot day and your CPU is under extreme load but never go above it. So maybe aim for the 50-52C idle range.

It's always better to be safe than sorry--but not when it ruins your ability to concentrate or use your computer for things that require less fan noise, like listening to music. Most Dell/Gateway PC's run their CPU's pretty hot anyway, just so they can reduce the noise level of the fans. My brother's Gateway PC didn't even have a fan attached to the CPU, but instead had a humongous heatsink and a ducting system with a fan blowing from the side.

This little cathode light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine!