what format should i scan in

Hi
In order to save space and be more efficient, I am in the process of
archiving all my regular household bills,letters,invoices etc onto a CD by
way of scanning the document and then burning onto the disc.
My question is ...what format should i use to save the document (which
typically may contain text,with handwriting comments written over the page
and also some may contain small pictures.
I am currently experiamenting with using the .tiff format , but i wonder if
there is a better format to use
thanks anyone
pete ellis

JPG will certainly make much smaller files than TIFF.
--
Cari
(MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)

"workshoppete" <workshoppete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> In order to save space and be more efficient, I am in the process of
> archiving all my regular household bills,letters,invoices etc onto a CD by
> way of scanning the document and then burning onto the disc.
> My question is ...what format should i use to save the document (which
> typically may contain text,with handwriting comments written over the page
> and also some may contain small pictures.
> I am currently experiamenting with using the .tiff format , but i wonder
> if
> there is a better format to use
> thanks anyone
> pete ellis

Thanks Cari...will give it a try.Just out of interest...what application
would you consider the .tiff to be useful for??
Thanks again
pete

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> JPG will certainly make much smaller files than TIFF.
> --
> Cari
> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>
> "workshoppete" <workshoppete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > In order to save space and be more efficient, I am in the process of
> > archiving all my regular household bills,letters,invoices etc onto a CD by
> > way of scanning the document and then burning onto the disc.
> > My question is ...what format should i use to save the document (which
> > typically may contain text,with handwriting comments written over the page
> > and also some may contain small pictures.
> > I am currently experiamenting with using the .tiff format , but i wonder
> > if
> > there is a better format to use
> > thanks anyone
> > pete ellis

A TIFF is a totally uncompressed image so they're going to be HUGE in file
size. I've only used them when I absolutely have to, and generally to
import into PhotoShop. Perhaps if I were working on something that had to
have great definition or I had to edit pixel by pixel.... but since the
images I work on are generally for the internet, that kind of definition is
not required.
--

> Thanks Cari...will give it a try.Just out of interest...what application
> would you consider the .tiff to be useful for??
> Thanks again
> pete
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> JPG will certainly make much smaller files than TIFF.
>> --
>> Cari
>> (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging)
>>
>> "workshoppete" <workshoppete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > In order to save space and be more efficient, I am in the process of
>> > archiving all my regular household bills,letters,invoices etc onto a CD
>> > by
>> > way of scanning the document and then burning onto the disc.
>> > My question is ...what format should i use to save the document (which
>> > typically may contain text,with handwriting comments written over the
>> > page
>> > and also some may contain small pictures.
>> > I am currently experiamenting with using the .tiff format , but i
>> > wonder
>> > if
>> > there is a better format to use
>> > thanks anyone
>> > pete ellis

Byte

If you create documents in .tif format instead of JPG they will work easier
if you are using a OCR (Optical Character Reader) to convert them to .txt
document format that you can edit.