Help on case cooling questions

Zifnab_2002

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Intent:

I want to get rounded ide cables, and get decent front and back fans for my case. I live in FL, and it gets pretty toasty in my computer lair.

My System: (slightly overclocked to 139 FSB)

Epox 8hka+ (DDR)
AMD xp 1600+
Geforce4 Ti4200
3 hard drives
1 CD
Enlight 7237 case with the 300/w power supply

Questions:

I notice most of the case fans come with both the 3 pin connects, and the 12 volt power supply connectors. Can I use either or, ie - are they both the same, just different connector types? I'm worried my power supply doesn't offer the amount of connectors I'll need.

Does anyone know if the front and back fan intakes on my Enlight 7237 are the 80x80mm ones? I think they are, but don't know for sure. Enlight doesn't even list the specs for this case anymore.

Also, does anyone have the scoop on the "enhanced round IDE cables" that supposedly increase performance due to superior shielding? Is that true, or just a con?

Proposed Solution:

I plan to these parts from newegg.com. Here they are:

- (2) SUNON 80x80x25mm, Ballbearing, Case Fan, DC 12V, 2.1W, 2900 RPM, 39.0 CFM
-(1) 18" Round Floppy cable
-(2) 18" Round IDE Cable (Vantec). (Would I need a 24" to reach the top drives??)

Total w/shipping $ 48.81

Any suggestions/help is deeply appreciated ;)

Using the 4-pin connectors will be best, as you take the power straight from the PSU, and not the mobo.

Use cable splitters if you need to.

Most probably 80mm, as most cases are.

80 wire cables are the shielding. 40 for signal, 40 for shielding. The rounding of these apparently degrades this somewhat, but I doubt it's that bad unless you have interference from surrounding sources.

As you're looking to get superior cooling in this system, I'd stick with rounded cables.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

squeegee

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
I have the same case, yes those are 80mm fan slots.

Most motherboards only have 2 fan headers (the 3 pin connectors), so you'll probably have to attach at least one to the PSU 4 pin connectors.

if you're using beefy fans that draw a lot of current, you should use the PSU power plugs, so they don't fry the motherboard header. I also have the sunon 80mm you mentioned, and it'll be fine on the motherboard header.

I'm not sure if the front bezel for all the 7237's is the same, but the one i got was really bad for airflow. I drilled more holes, and enlarged the existing ones. <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/bvalenzo/front_bezel.jpg" target="_new">Here's my drilled out front bezel</A>. The holes are now twice that size, 1/4" diameter. much better for air flow.

You also might consider cutting out the fan grills that are integrated into the case. Put on some of those rounded grills, or maybe a filter, if you have kids/pets that might get caught in there.

I've also drilled a hole in the side of my case for an 80mm fan blowing on the video card. that really helped temperatures. and finally, that exhaust fan slot? if you drill the holes for that a little higher, you can cut out a slot for another 80mm fan just beneath it. I only did that because i'm using quieter, low CFM fans (panaflo L1's, 24CFM)

good luck.