Tech-savvy article on EverQuest

"pross" <philip.e.ross@verizon.net> wrote in message
news:1120863875.750290.255530@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> EverQuest, as seen from an engineer's point of view, is the cover story
> of the July issue of IEEE Spectrum, the magazine of the Institute of
> Electrical and Electronic Engineers. Tech-savvy friends of mine who
> play the game tell me it's the best such piece they've ever seen.

Anyone new reading this needs to check out WoW before falling for the above
hype.

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

> "pross" <philip.e.ross@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> EverQuest, as seen from an engineer's point of view, is the cover
>> story of the July issue of IEEE Spectrum, the magazine of the
>> Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. Tech-savvy friends
>> of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such piece they've
>> ever seen.
>>

> Anyone new reading this needs to check out WoW before falling for the
> above hype.

What hype? Did you even read it? It was an article about the inner workings
and network operations of EverQuest. What does that have to do with WoW?
They didn't seem to me to be selling anything or making any comparisons at
all.

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:27:07 GMT, Rumbledor
<Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:

>"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
>
>> "pross" <philip.e.ross@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> EverQuest, as seen from an engineer's point of view, is the cover
>>> story of the July issue of IEEE Spectrum, the magazine of the
>>> Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. Tech-savvy friends
>>> of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such piece they've
>>> ever seen.

>> Anyone new reading this needs to check out WoW before falling for the
>> above hype.

>What hype? Did you even read it? It was an article about the inner workings
>and network operations of EverQuest. What does that have to do with WoW?
>They didn't seem to me to be selling anything or making any comparisons at
>all.

Yes, I thought that when I read the article. Sounds like he didn't
actually bother reading it, if he considers an article dealing with
the systems/operations "hype."

Still, we must be tolerant of (yet another) Born-Again MMORPG'er who
has seen the Gaming Light and froths on behalf of (yet another)
all-singing, all-dancing MMORPG. He's harmless, and in a week or two
there'll be some other game to froth over ;)

Palindrome

Palindrome

On 8 Jul 2005 16:04:35 -0700, "pross" <philip.e.ross@verizon.net> wrote:

>EverQuest, as seen from an engineer's point of view, is the cover story

It's a great read. But I beat you to the announcement by 9 days :->

http://tinyurl.com/7mfdj

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Vladesch wrote:

> The article was fine, this was the hype....
> "Tech-savvy friends of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such
> piece they've ever seen".

I think that was refering to the article, not to Everquest.

steve.kaye

"Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:27:07 GMT, Rumbledor
> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> "pross" <philip.e.ross@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>> Anyone new reading this needs to check out WoW before falling for the
>>> above hype.
>

>>What hype? Did you even read it? It was an article about the inner
>>workings
>>and network operations of EverQuest. What does that have to do with WoW?
>>They didn't seem to me to be selling anything or making any comparisons at
>>all.
>
> Yes, I thought that when I read the article. Sounds like he didn't
> actually bother reading it, if he considers an article dealing with
> the systems/operations "hype."

The article was fine, this was the hype....
"Tech-savvy friends of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such
piece they've ever seen".

> Still, we must be tolerant of (yet another) Born-Again MMORPG'er who
> has seen the Gaming Light and froths on behalf of (yet another)
> all-singing, all-dancing MMORPG. He's harmless, and in a week or two
> there'll be some other game to froth over ;)

2 million people agree with me, so flame all you like. I played eq for 5
years, and it could have done much better, but the devs pretty much drove
people away. I could fill a page with eq's faults, but its all been said
before.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

In article <1121081871.797153.230520@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk says...

> Vladesch wrote:
>
> > The article was fine, this was the hype....
> > "Tech-savvy friends of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such
> > piece they've ever seen".
>
> I think that was refering to the article, not to Everquest.

meh... i didn't think the article was *that* good either.

> "Palindrome" <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 16:27:07 GMT, Rumbledor
>> <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

>>>What hype? Did you even read it? It was an article about the inner
>>>workings
>>>and network operations of EverQuest. What does that have to do with
>>>WoW? They didn't seem to me to be selling anything or making any
>>>comparisons at all.
>>
>> Yes, I thought that when I read the article. Sounds like he didn't
>> actually bother reading it, if he considers an article dealing with
>> the systems/operations "hype."
>>

> The article was fine, this was the hype....
> "Tech-savvy friends of mine who play the game tell me it's the best
> such piece they've ever seen".

Except the OP was referring to the article, not the game. I have nothing
against people who prefer WoW. I don't think they are ignorant of
certain important facts that left them to make a poor choice in games or
anything silly like that. People will like what they like.

However, I still don't understand why people would choose to defend
their choices in a newsgroup dedicated to the alternate views.

>> Still, we must be tolerant of (yet another) Born-Again MMORPG'er who
>> has seen the Gaming Light and froths on behalf of (yet another)
>> all-singing, all-dancing MMORPG. He's harmless, and in a week or two
>> there'll be some other game to froth over ;)
>>

> 2 million people agree with me, so flame all you like. I played eq for
> 5 years, and it could have done much better, but the devs pretty much
> drove people away. I could fill a page with eq's faults, but its all
> been said before.

I can respect that, as I would expect you to respect the fact that WoW,
along with a list of others, was a game for which I took a break from EQ
to try. When all was said and done, I was back in EQ. Of course it could
have done much better, but my opinion is that all the others have merely
done much *less* in trying.

But that's for a different thread. ;)

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

On 11 Jul 2005 04:37:51 -0700, "steve.kaye"
<nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>Vladesch wrote:
>
>> The article was fine, this was the hype....
>> "Tech-savvy friends of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such
>> piece they've ever seen".

>I think that was refering to the article, not to Everquest.

I agree entirely.

As the OP said:-

>> EverQuest, as seen from an engineer's point of view, is the cover
>> story of the July issue of IEEE Spectrum, the magazine of the
>> Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. Tech-savvy friends
>> of mine who play the game tell me it's the best such piece they've
>> ever seen.

Thus, the *cover story*, from an *engineer's point of view*, is
regarded as the best such piece the OP's tech-savvy friends have seen.
Quite why Vladesch describes this as "hype" and wants us to look at
WoW I really don't know. It was just a technical article called
"Engineering Everquest" and no aspersions or comparisons were made
about or with any other game.

Palindrome

> Well, I have this picture in my mind - when he saw the words
> "Everquest" and "best" in the same post, his knee must have jerked so
> hard it cracked his chin :D Pity for him it referred to the ARTICLE!
>

> Palindrome

Not only that, but given WoW's growing pains one wouldn't be
out of place to argue that their network infrastructure WASN'T
"the best"

I'm not sure how they work it - but on busy nights you can
still get bad "loot lag". IE: you freeze in the looting
position while WoW tries to do the transaction to move the
item from the corpse/vein/chest etc. to you.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 35th Paladin