Yet Another Failure to Install Fax Service in XP SP2

April 21, 2005 3:45:03 PM

I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
problems. Here are the details:

System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.

The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
local area code and default dialing rules.

Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then ran the
expand program to expand them and rename them to their *.dll
counterpart. It doesn't matter- regardless of where I point the
install program, it is unwilling to copy the files to their
destination. I have no choice but to cancel the install program at
that point.

I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
system event.

I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
running the install program appear to be successful.

Hopefully this information will help. I would appreciate any advice
or assistance.

Thanks,

- Steve Hull
MCSE
April 21, 2005 3:45:04 PM

I only have one comment which does not solve your situation but could solve
your problem. XPs Fax app is a very unstable program. If you have a scanner
connected, check its app for it very like has a Fax feature that you can
use. I
went thru the same problem and it sure solved mine.

"Steve Hull" wrote:

> I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
> installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
> problems. Here are the details:
>
> System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
> immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
> my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
> of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
> Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.
>
> The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
> were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
> the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
> local area code and default dialing rules.
>
> Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
> Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
> Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
> problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
> files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
> locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
> Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then ran the
> expand program to expand them and rename them to their *.dll
> counterpart. It doesn't matter- regardless of where I point the
> install program, it is unwilling to copy the files to their
> destination. I have no choice but to cancel the install program at
> that point.
>
> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
> system event.
>
> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
> running the install program appear to be successful.
>
> Hopefully this information will help. I would appreciate any advice
> or assistance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Steve Hull
> MCSE

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 6:56:13 PM

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:57:02 -0700, "Byte"
<Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I only have one comment which does not solve your situation but could solve
>your problem. XPs Fax app is a very unstable program. If you have a scanner
>connected, check its app for it very like has a Fax feature that you can
>use. I went thru the same problem and it sure solved mine.

Actually, my main machine has evolved over time into a server, using a
RAID Array of 15K SCSI drives. Several years ago, when I bought a
scanner, my choices of an interface were either parallel or SCSI - USB
had just hit the market and still had a number of issues with Win95.
As a result, my scanner doesn't work with my laptop.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Steve

>"Steve Hull" wrote:
>
>> I've read the numerous messages from others who have had problems
>> installing the XP Fax service after upgrading to SP2. I'm also having
>> problems. Here are the details:
>>
>> System is a 6 mo. old Dell laptop that initially came with XP Home. I
>> immediately upgraded it to XP Pro using a MS CD that came as part of
>> my Action Pack subscription (so it's not an issue with an OEM version
>> of XP). At that time I did not install the fax service.
>> Subsequently, I upgraded to SP2, again using an official MS CD.
>>
>> The modem is a Broadcom V.92 56K, and the driver properties say they
>> were signed by Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility. These are
>> the latest drivers available. The modem has been configured with my
>> local area code and default dialing rules.
>>
>> Now I want to install the Fax service so I use the Control Panel ->
>> Add or Remove Programs feature and select the option to Add/Remove
>> Windows Components. A few files are copied, then I hit the infamous
>> problem where the install program says it can't locate the fx*.dll
>> files. Yes, I have told the install program to look in alternate
>> locations, such as the CD Rom drive, the Windows\Service Pack
>> Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
>> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then ran the
>> expand program to expand them and rename them to their *.dll
>> counterpart. It doesn't matter- regardless of where I point the
>> install program, it is unwilling to copy the files to their
>> destination. I have no choice but to cancel the install program at
>> that point.
>>
>> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
>> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
>> system event.
>>
>> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
>> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
>> running the install program appear to be successful.
>>
>> Hopefully this information will help. I would appreciate any advice
>> or assistance.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Steve Hull
>> MCSE

April 21, 2005 6:56:14 PM

Does your laptop have a standard data/fax modem? If yes, check your disks
and documentation or the modem manufacturer's website as most data/fax
modems come with some basic fax software.

--
In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User
Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

"Steve Hull" <steve@steve-hull.com> wrote in message
news:o 6tf61da1a5jdbqannb413j2dtna43o3iu@4ax.com...
> [...]
>>> Files\i386 subdirectory, and even a special folder I set up on my
>>> desktop. I copied the fx*.dl_ files to that folder, then ran the
>>> expand program to expand them and rename them to their *.dll
>>> counterpart. It doesn't matter- regardless of where I point the
>>> install program, it is unwilling to copy the files to their
>>> destination. I have no choice but to cancel the install program at
>>> that point.
>>>
>>> I cleared my event logs before trying the install program; there were
>>> no new entries added so whatever error occurs is not logged as a
>>> system event.
>>>
>>> I also deleted my faxsetup.log file to start with a fresh .log file
>>> prior to running the install. All the actions logged as a result of
>>> running the install program appear to be successful.
>>>
>>> Hopefully this information will help. I would appreciate any advice

Anonymous
April 21, 2005 9:30:06 PM

There may be a solution close at hand, but the solution is still being
tested and is not supported. Contact me offline with a valid email address
if you are willing to try it.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]