• Both suck, play (insert name here)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both are equally good.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

djay62

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
So I'm looking to get back into an MMO and can't decide between these two. Pretty much which one is more fun? Story isn't important to me on an MMO, and good graphics is a definite plus for me. Also I never played GW1 if that makes a difference?

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
GW2 is more populated but it has spammy combat with rather shallow depth-curve despite community hype. Tera is less populated but really perfected their action-combat and had some astoundingly good netcode.

Tera has significantly better graphics quality than GW2 in every aspect (environment, armor textures, character models and textures). GW2 is still a nice looking game though. It's just not remotely on Tera's level visually.

GW2 is more western in its art-style and delivery, Tera is a mix of western and eastern styles.

Tera's BG's were not very well implemented and need to be tweaked to be more interesting, while GW2 has more thought out battlegrounds system but because of the fairly shallow curve I referred to earlier, I don't find them very fun. The act of playing my character in GW2 just isn't horribly intriguing.

Tera is much more of a time-sink because of its crafting and enchanting systems, while GW2 is a very casual game with a very casual community trying to project it as an E-Sports quality pvp scene such as Season 7 WoW (which it is not even remotely close to in its current state).

So which game is better? If you want to enjoy an MMO for a lot of technical achievements and a strictly cosmetic frivolous cash-shop that does not impact the day-to-day function of your character, try Tera. If you want to be a part of the game of the month that doesn't do anything incredibly well, but doesn't do many things horribly wrong, but DOES force the community toward using its cash shop (gold is heavily restricted in GW2 so don't believe the hype about being able to buy anything from the cash shop with in-game gold as well because it just isn't a reality), go to GW2.

Personally, I'm going to keep giving GW2 a chance since I've finished the hard mode content for Tera currently, but I had a lot more fun in Tera than I'm having in GW2 so far, and the way that GW2 is strangling gold-generation in game to try to force people into using real money to buy things like bank slots (which you get very few of otherwise) is grating my nerves. GW2 feels like a very cash-grabby flavor of the month game and I'm pretty disappointed with my purchase if I can be completely honest.

djay62

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012

Wow man, thanks for the nice response. The no subscription thing for GW2 sounded pretty nice to me, but I guess those cash shops make up for it. Honestly I hate cash shops more than anything. I mean if it's just cosmetic that's cool, but when you sell stuff that's 10x better than the best thing you can get from actually playing the game, I just quit. Also the combat system on Tera sounded neat so I guess I'll just try that. And one more thing. Is it worth the extra 10 bucks to get the special edition of Tera and get that mount? Are they hard to get in the game? Thanks again.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

GW2 doesn't sell better gear. They sell necessity, such as bank slots. That way they can avoid being accused of pay2win, while strong-arming people into using the cash shop for much more ubiquitous features.

The special edition Tera mount is as fast as the level 60 mount that you get for free, but you can access it earlier. It's convenient and would help avoiding ganks if you play on a pvp server, but whether that's worth $10 to you is a personal matter. I did buy the special edition (I actually upgraded to it after playing the game for a couple days back when it released), but I actually did it as a way to contribute a little more money to the development team and the publisher who both did a nice job and were good to work with on in-game related issues.

Personally, I hope some new content and tweaks to the BG system in Tera are in the near future because I would love a reason to go back into that game. It did a lot of things right, and its biggest fault was really horrible advertising.

One thing that I'm on the fence about regarding GW2 is the crafting, it's too straight forward and simplistic (at least that's how it is for me). The only things where you get to really try and discover things is cooking. All the weapon and armor crafting is the same recipe with little modification item that you change in order to change the stats or the level of the gear that you get out. Honestly, I expected better. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far I doubt it.

djay62

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2012
Ehh, a lot of people are telling me that GW2 is just another generic MMO with some minor differences so I don't know. That's why Tera is looking good right now to me.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

GW2 crafting is definitely simplistic, but holy crap Tera's is involved. Personally neither is a plus for me, as GW2's system isn't inspiring and Tera's system is daunting.